Archery Talk Forum banner

Need HELP with "Vintage" HOYT Compound Bow !

3391 81
Any Compound Bow hunters / enthusiasts out there who can help me ?

Please don't say, "Go to an Archery Shop" ! I am not wealthy ! I can do it myself with some education !

Need help with a 1992 Hoyt Eclipse Compound Bow.....How the Cams are strung...

Hoyt Support does NOT support their product that is this old ! Ain't THAT swell ?!

Organism Asphalt Road surface Font Grass

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Tire Rim

Plant Font Road surface Asphalt Tar

Fluid Font Gas Handwriting Rectangle

Due to $$$ issues (79 and Retired on Soc Sec) - I want to do this myself and not go to an
Archery Shop and get fleeced.

DoctorBill (PhD)
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I intend to make a Bow Stringer - they are for sale on E-Bay and one is on YouTube.
I can MAKE one ! It should not be difficult as I have a machineshop and make my
own stuff - the thing in the video below would be easy to make using a TURNBUCKLE.

All I need is the Configuration of the Cables ON the Cams.

DoctorBill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might still have one or two of these bows. I will have to go check. If I do I will take photos of them for you.
THANK YOU ! Close ups of BOTH SIDES of the Cams is what I need. So nice of you !

How odd that Hoyt doesn't have anything from that era in their records.....

DoctorBill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
RickT - I took your photo and did some work on it with a couple of Graphics programs.
Here is the close-up of the Bottom Cam on the right side bow:
Hood Bumper Door Automotive tire Gas

THIS tells me how the Cables are hooked up. My Cam is labeled "6 B" "Six Baker"
My top Cam is labeled "19" "Nineteen"

Now I need to know how the OTHER SIDE of the Cam is arranged with the Bowstring (?)
Complicated to me.....how do you fellows keep track of this !?
Thank you !

DB

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
You don't need a press to put the string & cables on, just back the limbs off so they are
lined up with the edge of the limb pocket & can install the string first & then hook the cables to the back side of the wheel.

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
The B stands for bottom & the other wheel will have a T on it for top, the way they were assembled was riser layed on bench with the sight window facing up & the T wheel will go to the right & b wheel to the left for RH bow & if bow is LH then the sight window would face to the left but up also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You don't need a press to put the string & cables on, just back the limbs off so they are
lined up with the edge of the limb pocket & can install the string first & then hook the cables to the back side of the wheel.
Yes ! I watched some YouTubes - (I call it "The University of YouTube") - and one of them mentioned backing off the limb screws to further loosen them.
That "Tool" shown on the Video I referenced can be made with a big Turnbuckle (which I have)
Office supplies Font Auto part Metal Titanium

and some strong metal "Fingers" (which I can make) to hold the ends and some light chain or some light rope. A bit of tension would relieve the limbs and let me work on the restringing. The bow tells me what the "Bowstring" length is.... 57 inches - I'll just buy one....

DB

·
Lowered expectations
19,958 Posts
You appear to have a Spectra Eclipse with E-wheels. Spectra is the riser, Eclipse is the limb type. E-wheels are “Energy Wheels”.

Have a look at these. The wheels are similar to yours, although the cables are split (attach to the ends of the axles) instead of attaching to the axle next to the wheel inside the limb forks. You will need to remove the axles to install new cables, but not to install a new string.
Hood Automotive lighting Textile Paint Art

View attachment 7706650
Textile Sleeve Hood Organism Pink

Note in the first pic, the gap between the lobe of the cam and the string. Make sure there a bit of distance there so they don’t come in contact. Also, the 3 pegs are for draw length. String on S should be 29”, M=30”, L=31”. Note also that S will decrease the maximum bow weight by about 5# and L will increase it by about 5#.

Check this thread.

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
You don't need the tool just back the limb bolts all the way out & then reinstall them 4 full turns & then install the string first then hook the cables on & turn the bolts back in a turn or two at a time till have about 4 more full turns & will be good to go. Have over 35+ years of MFG. & Building bows & that style bow has worked every time.

·
Come on October!!!!
3,344 Posts
I believe the cable ends attach to a grooved spacer around the axle, (and the cam as shown). I have two Super slams of that era and both of mine are converted to the "Y" ends like this one, not sure that was factory til a few year after, after the clunky metal yokes they tried

·
Registered
22,402 Posts
The S & L should be switched, the peg closest to wheel axle is the shortest draw & the peg farest from axle is the longest draw.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You appear to have a Spectra Eclipse with E-wheels. Spectra is the riser, Eclipse is the limb type.

Have a look at these. The wheels are similar to yours, although the cables are split (attach to the ends of the axles) instead of attaching to the axle next to the wheel inside the limb forks.

View attachment 7706650
View attachment 7706651

Note in the first pic, the gap between the lobe of the cam and the string. Make sure there a bit of distance there so they don’t come in contact. Also, the 3 pegs are for draw length. String on S should be 29”, M=30”, L=31”. Note also that S will decrease the maximum bow weight by about 5# and L will increase it by about 5#.
I don't follow about the "Spectra".....if you are referring to the Manfacturer....Mine is a Hoyt Eclipse.
Anyway - my cables are on the inside of the Limb. See picture below. Your pics help a lot !
The photos of your Cams looks identical to mine ! Thanks !!!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Sports equipment

DB

Attachments

·
Lowered expectations
19,958 Posts
The S & L should be switched, the peg closest to wheel axle is the shortest draw & the peg farest from axle is the longest draw.
You sure? Seems to me to get a longer draw you’d have to rotate the cam in the picture counterclockwise, meaning put the string on the peg I marked “L”.

Haven’t played with one of these for over 25 years, so I won’t be too embarrassed if I’m wrong...😄

1 - 20 of 82 Posts