Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first year deer hunting and I wanted to ask about this particular deer stand setup and when I should avoid hunting it? I have not spent a lot of time this year scouting, but I know that my stand is in a spot that has deer. After this hunting season I will spend more time for next year understanding the area better, where scrapes are, and where the bedding/feeding areas are, and hopefully use several stands. I have seen deer leaving this area several times early in the morning when spring Turkey hunting and my trail cam shows deer coming across where my stand in, leaving field in morning, but I have a feeling that more deer follow the field and exit further south of my stand, but i do have a 30 yard shot into field from my stand.

The image shows where my stand is and I know that deer follow the green lines out of the field. Today the wind was NW/N (blue lines are correct, blowing S/SE?), so based on that if the deer left the field upwind of my stand then I would be ok as my scent is blowing downwind, but still not the best as my scent would be in the field where deer also travel to an exit spot further south? For a morning hunt, would an east/NE wind be the best option for both exit paths?

10-6-2016 10-33-46 AM.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts