Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
some people say, "You are like origami, you fold under pressure!!". LOL well that applies to me in archery sometimes. when i am shooting in front of people that i don't know, or haven't ever talked to, i end up messing up really bad. is there a cure for this? i am most definatly not shy, ask my mom........... LOL
but i just end up shooting terrible. sometimes it is when a person walks by my house and stops to watch me shoot, and i end up messing up. :( other times it is at a tournament when i am shooting and someone is watching me, and with lots of interest, i end up messing up.
what do i do?
thankx

·
Registered
599 Posts
talk to the people and be friendly with them. you will feel more calm and wont fell so much pressure under a "friend" atmosphere. plus it would be a good idea to shoot as many tourneys as possible. remember the more friendly you are the more comfortable you will feel the better you will shoot and maybe that guy that is showing alot of interest is a martin rep just waitin to give you a cougar III lol :).

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
If you get to have people watch you often you will eventually get better at it. you may even get to the point I am at, you shoot BETTER when someone is watching. Don't think about what they are thinking. Just do your own thing. What happens when someone wtches you is that you want to get the arrow in the middle to make yourself look good and impress the person watching. Your mind is afraid of missing, so you miss! You have to tell yourself and trick your mind that no matter what you shoot great. How many times have you carried food or something and your mom said "don't spill it" then you did spill it. It was because you thought about spilling it. Don't worry about missing and just shoot! You need to shoot the same by yourself as you do with others watching. NOTHING should be different. TRUST your shot. How do you think the 11 people felt shooting for $10,000 with hundereds of people watching at vegas? When you practice, you need to put these situations into consideration. Get a buddy and bet a soda or something. Or just pretend someone is watching you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Pretend you're shooting naked.

Uhhhh wait a minute. Maybe it was pretend THEY are naked?

Or was it, shoot bare bow?

I'm sure shooting is part of the answer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
ONE WORD CORY:

JASDD RELAX

Let your subconcious take over and trust your shot. I read about muscle memory taking over on the shot. I think it was from Chuck Adams. That article made alot of sense. Remember we practice not for the easy shots but to perform when we are under pressure. So RELAX,RELAX,RELAX. Hope this helps. :D :D :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
The thing to remember is that we're all human and we all mess up -- and people will forgive you if you miss the shot. Once you realize that, it won't matter anymore and you'll stop missing because they watch.

Another thing to do is to show them how perfect your form is. Concentrate on that instead -- cause that's what counts ...
;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Cory,
I battle the same thing from time to time. What helps me is to not place all of my thought on the result (score), but to focus on making the best shot I can. Shoot the best shot you can and the rest will take care of itself.
Toddbow

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cory,

Shoot for yourself, no one else.

And then there are times when you'll make a crappy shot that still ends up in the 10 just by luck. No one else will know that it was a bad shot from the result, but you will (trust me on this -- been there, done that).

In the end, it's not what they think of you that counts, it's what you think of yourself. Make the best shot you can, and if you make a mistake don't dwell on it because it'll be too late to take the shot back. Think forward to your next shot and make it the best one you've ever made.

Best regards,

Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Don Schultz is right naked

fastarrowsfl said:
naked is best way to shoot . IT is suppose fun. if that dont work there is always Pozac .
Dare we think about where Jake keeps his arrows? Eeeww! Let's not go there... ;) :) :D

Rob

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
archery1 said:
what do i do?
One thing to do is let down (abort the shot) if you sense that anything is wrong!

So, nobody should ever be able to see you make a bad shot---instead, they'll just get tired watching you let down a lot and possibly go away. ;)

The reason that your shot changes is because you're deviating from your ordinary shot sequence. You must let down at the moment of deviation, restart from scratch, and try not to deviate again....

Best of luck,

kgk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ok.. hang on ... I'm temporarily blinded..... vision.. returning...
Whew!

I do the same thing, especially at indoor tourneys, and I've come to realize that its not so much having people watch as 2 other things that make me shoot very differently...
1. Is having someone stand right next to me. My shot routine changes because I'm scared of poking my neighbor with an arrow. To remedy this, stand something up and shoot right beside of it. Get next to a tree, a car, whatever. If you are inside shoot at the far right or left lane.
2. Noise! All those arrows being released breaks my concentration bad. When the guy next to me releases, it makes my say "OK Me too!". The only way I have been able to help this is simply shooting more with people, or tape recording all the noise and replaying during practice.

Don't feel alone it happens to some degree to almost everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts