Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i have never had a guided hunt or anything but will soon be going on a 2 day guided hunt for turkeys that i WON at an archery tournament. Me and my dad are both going for two days, they are putting us up in a giant camper and giving us dinner and stuff. We will both get to hunt turkeys, 1 guide per hunter if we want. It is on private land through a reputable guide. It looked like it was about a $400/person trip when purchased normally on their website.

My question is this, i know i will need to tip them still, but how much do i give?? i mean, i payed zero dollars for the hunt other than my tag, so i am not sure how much to tip. I dont know how much to tip even if i did pay for it, since this is my first time.

Any help would be nice.

thanks guys

Joe

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would think $100 would be a minimum, and $150 if you kill a nice gobbler...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
usually on good hunts if you enjoy yourself its 10-15%
so depends on the experience remember you didn t pay anything so if it is a good experience treat them good
win win

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would say if they treat you guys right and provide ample opportunity to get a gobbler then $100, $150 each would be right. I guess it is up to you on if you feel satisfied. If they are trying as hard as they can to get you a bird and make sure you are having a good time then make it worth their while!

Good luck on your hunt!

·
Registered
255 Posts
The other post are steering you in the right direction. The answer is your tip based on the actual cost of the trip as if you had paid for it. The fact that you did not makes it much easier to give a good/great tip IF you have a good experience, feel they worked hard for you. You need to remember this may well be a 100% donation and your tip ( if you feel one is warranted) may well be the ONLY money they get at all! And they will have expenses ,you did say this includes food? Lastly I would be thinking 20- 25% given that it was free to you. MHO

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys....now when you say 75-100, that is from each of us right?? or just for both.

and who do i give it to?

Joe

·
Registered
459 Posts
You should tip the cook also. You don't have to tip the cook as much.

You would tip the guide. Yes from both of you.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what if you are paying $4000 dollars for a 7 day elk hunt through JON DOE OUFITTERS and your guide is JON DOE.....then what happens? I would think that he is making a killing on the hunt already since it is his business.........I understand tipping the cook and guides who get paid hourly though..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Best thing to do is figure you might tip out say 150 each. If you feel like it pre tip the guide half, Tell him what your thinking of total tipping. Most likely your guide will do the best he can to make it an experiance you won't forget. And the reason is when you get there he'll probly be thinking "they won a hunt, am I gonna get tipped?" Set his mind at ease early and no worries.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts