Archery Talk Forum banner

Need info please

559 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  hossophie
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy a used bow for my wife because she is wanting to start shooting and hunting with me. I think I have it narrowed down between a Mathews Ignition or Mustang due to their low draw weight and the fact that they a designed for youth & smaller framed women. I thought my wife could shoot it for a few years and if she sticks with it we would upgrade and keep her bow to start our son on. What would you go with and why? Anything that will help me make an informed decision would be awesome and suggestions are welcomed as well. Thanks to everyone in advance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,776 Posts
i just bought my wife a Hoyt sierra tec her 1st bow.

she loves it and i am planning on upgrading her to either a katera or alpha max.

i looked at it like this. i can buy her a used bow for under $200.00 if she likes shooting bows we'll upgrade. if not i still have a bow worth $200.00.

if i bought her new to begin with and she didn't like shooting. well i have a $1000.00 rig that's now worth $500.00.

· Registered
257 Posts
my sister just got a diamond razors edge, shot with her and thats an awsome little bow and fast! lots of draw length adjustment to. we got her form right and she was stackin em at 25 yards within 10 shots

· Registered
3,016 Posts
Most of them make great youth bows but I would stick with ones that use the DL module, In my mind the only disadvantage to a mathews is you have to get a new cam. PSE, browning, Bowteck / Diamond use mods to adjust DL much cheaper,10-30 bucks vs 80+. My wife shoots a browning and if I think I am going to get her out of it I'm nuts. But that is her. SOme of PSE's new bows can be had for real reasonable 250-300 on ebay and can be found with 40-50 # limbs Just my thoughts

· Registered
171 Posts
my sister just got a diamond razors edge, shot with her and thats an awsome little bow and fast! lots of draw length adjustment to. we got her form right and she was stackin em at 25 yards within 10 shots
just got one these for the wife. she loved it. great price, too. $329 for fully outfitted bow.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. My wife has decided to go w/ the Diamond Razors Edge special ed in pink. She saw it and loved it plus I like that you can get a whole package for only $359 and all needed is a release and arrows, which I have! I also really like the adjustability and versatility of this bow. Thanks again everyone!

· Registered
3,016 Posts
The cool thing about a bow like that is that it is very adjustable and your kids will be able to shoot it later on to. Might have to get the boy a can of krylon to go with it but at least it will adjust to fit. and is a quality bow that will last.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Don't forget to check out the Hoyt Kobalt. It took my wife about 15 mins. to get her first robinhood. It only took me 3 years I've taken a lot of ribbing over that.
But as long as she enjoys shooting that's fine with me:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.