Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was at the indoor range where I shoot in Jacksonville, FL and I met a very determined man and could use a little advice on how to help him. The guy had a stroke and is paralyzed on his right side. He has full use of his left arm but his right arm is paralyzed (he can walk and talk). He bought a Hoyt Protec and the guys set him up with a movable sight. They put a piece of leather at the nocking point for him to bite and pull with his teeth. The bow is currently set at 40 pounds draw. The man is a very determined man and although he'd only had a bow for a week, wants to shoot in the Veteran's Wheelchair Olympics next June. I know there have to be other methods of drawing a bow other than using his teeth. Others have sesarched the net and have found one system, but I am sure that some of you have come across archers who can only use one arm. I'd like to help the guy. He plans to go to the Olympics because "They said I'd never make it" I am looking forward to working with him and helping him as the year progresses. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The man you need to talk to is a guy named Jeff Fawbry (Fabry). He won the FSL division in Vegas this past year and also won the same division in Redding. (Inspite of having no right arm or leg> Seeing this guy "hop" the course is inspiring to say the least).

Unfortunately I don't have his number but I know someone who does or you can go through the web and see if he can be found there. My understanding is that Jeff lives in California.

The other way is a long one but you can get Bob Gentry's name/ number from Winners Choice. Bob shoots for them and lives in Klamath falls. He has also been Jeffs partner at Redding for the past two years.

Sorry it's such a roundabout way. But jeff works in a Proshop and is a hec of a guy. I'm sure he can help ya..........

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Curs1: Sorry I cant help with any info your looking for, but just wanted to say I hope you are able to get the guy shooting and having fun, enjoying flinging arrows!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
A month or so ago, my wife and I saw a hunting show on T.V., and the hunter drew with his teeth too. He also took a nice bull! I wish I knew what show it was on, so I could tell you. Good Luck. I will pray for the best for your friend!:)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The guy Ron mentioned is a GREAT shooter and shoots with his teeth. I believe he made it VERY far in the OR round at the US Open/Grand prix only to loose to Dave Cousins by 1 point with an incredible score of 174 out of 180! World record is a 178.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A bunch of us went to the canadian 3d nationals and one of the contestants was shooting with only his right arm, as he is missing his left. He had a brace on and had a trigger release on the left shoulder. The releace was modifyed with an arm that when at full draw would be under his chin and would go off with back tention.
Sorry I cannot recall his name but he did win the MBR class. I do know that he is from B.C. and when the FCA updates there web sight you can get his name.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A fellow who hosts the Kentucky Dept of fish and wildlife Kentucky Afield outdoors show only has the use of one arm. He uses his teeth to draw the bow. I'm thinking he will have some knowledge of resources that are likely available.
His name is Tim Farmer. Here is the Kentucky Afield web site
http://www.kyafield.com/.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I heard of a woman in the same situation. She also had a stroke and could not draw her bow with her right arm. Her husband made something that went around her neck so she could draw the bow, then there was a bulb (similar to the blood pressure cuff ones) that she would bite to release the arrow. The bulb was used as a release, not as a drawing aid. Curs1, I think it is very giving of you to help this person. It says a lot about what kind of person you are!! I hope the best for both of you.

Bowgal

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input and advice from you all. SO far we've found a device similar to what you're describing bowgal on a website. I'll give you guys the website in case you're interested.
Brandon Fla There is a man there who has the same situation and he created a device. I am planning to learn a lot from my newfound friend, Jerry. Determination is contagious!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jeff Fabry is a good friend of mine, I sent you a PM with his e-mail address, he said he would try to help your friend.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your help XXX archer I'll forward the info for my friend
Evan Fox

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
there is a guy thathunted with knight andhale and i have the video some where that shoots with his mouth because he has one arm so you might want to check with him he has a show and is the only one armed hunter that has a tv show but i wihs i could remember who he is i think from up north like illinois ro somethign like that. also you can check with the state handicapped association of the stae your in or the wheeling sportsman out of virginia woudl be a great place as they can help you out no problem
rob k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts