Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new bow for my 8 yr old. He has been successfully competing in a JOAD prgram for the last year and his skills have out grown his current bow which is a PSE Buckeye JR 54" 15lbs draw. I am going to get him a Hoyt Excel Riser in 21" for sure but my question comes about the limbs. I would like to get him the Hoyt Excel limbs but they are $200. I see that you can get KAP t-rex limbs for $90 or the KAP Winstorm for $120. Is there really any difference in these limbs vs. the Hoyts as far as quality/durabilty goes. They appear to be made from the same materials. I see myself having to up grade limbs again next year due to the inevitable growth spurts and strength gains that will happen.

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,310 Posts
I have found that as a transition or training limbs the t-rex limbs are fine. Unless he's going to really compete (tournaments) AND you have money to burn, get him the cheaper limbs for now. The biggest problem he is going to have after the riser upgrade is the mass weight. Going from those wood bows to a metal riser will be a big jumb. If he is shooting a lot, 200-300 arrows a week, I would guess you are going to be upgrading sooner than 1 year.

DC

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ive shot all of those limbs.

go with the kaps.

especially if you are going to upgrade soon.

check lancaster and alservices for discounts on lt limbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aHe shoots a good bit I would say 300 arrows a week minimum. As far as competing goes We have gone to about 4 or 5 tournaments so far this last year and have a couple of outdoor ones coming up this summer along with his JOAD stuff almost every Saturday.

Now that the decision has been made to go with the Kap's is there or I guess what is the difference between the Winstorm's and the trex's other than 30 bucks.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
the cheap ones are fine. my son took second at one of the big nationals with a DAKOTA or ROLAN bow. He's gonna out grow the limbs soon anyway. At 12 he's now shooting G-3's but this is his fourth year in tournament archery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the Samick priviledge / Candidate limbs are better made than the KAP's . They are also cheaper. You might also check the Candidate riser. A very well made riser for less than $100.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts