Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I got the new Panasonic HD camcorder in the other day (high cap batteries and a 32 Gb SD card should be here this weekend).

I'm now searching for some good editing software. I downloaded the trial versions of Sony Vegas and Cyberlink Powerdirector. I played with Vegas last night for 30 minutes or so... it had some awesome tutorials built in... haven't messed with the Cyberlink stuff much as of yet.

I'll be mainly recording in 1080-60P, so I need software that can handle the 60P part. Most BluRay's are recorded in 1080-24P, so I should be able to downconvert as needed. I like having the superhigh, progressive frame rate as my "base footage" so I can do slomo shots or whatever.

I have a rocketship for a home PC, so computing power isn't an obstacle.

Any suggestions on software guys?

-ZA

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you're using a PC, I'd look at Premier Pro. If you've got a Mac, it's tough to beat Final Cut.

That said, you need to be real sure you've got enough computer to do the job. The software is just half the issue with HD footage. Make sure you have PLENTY of RAM and hard drive space otherwise you're gonna get stuck with tons of wasted time waiting for footage to render. It gets old REAL quick.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're using a PC, I'd look at Premier Pro. If you've got a Mac, it's tough to beat Final Cut.

That said, you need to be real sure you've got enough computer to do the job. The software is just half the issue with HD footage. Make sure you have PLENTY of RAM and hard drive space otherwise you're gonna get stuck with tons of wasted time waiting for footage to render. It gets old REAL quick.
I have an i7 930 quad core processor, 6 Gb of ram, and a 1 Tb HDD for media storage and an 128 Gb SSD for my OS and programs, and an NVidia Geforce 480 GTX graphics card.....:wink:

Oh... and I just went ahead and bought the Sony Vegas Platinum 10 bundle.:cocktail: There is alot of support out there and the reviews I saw of this software looked great, and it's supposed to be very stable when handling/rendering HD stuff. I also played with the Vegas trial version and liked it alot more than the Cyberlink stuff....

-ZA

·
Registered
408 Posts
Then you've got plenty of computer (though even more RAM would be a big plus...you're still gonna spend time waiting).

Honestly don't know much about Vegas other than I've heard good things. I'm sure you've got a good set up with it. It's all in getting in there and really learning the ins and outs of the software. That's where the power comes from IMO.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Vegas software had some fantastic built in tutorials, and there are A TON of "how to" and "tips" videos on Youtube regarding Vegas. I also really like the fact that it came with a stand alone audio editor in the package and a bunch of free sound effects and video effects.... and could do 10 vid. tracks and 10 audio tracks at the same time.:tongue:

I think it will be more than enough for what I want to do. Like you said, it's all about learning how to use it.:embara:

-ZA

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well... I got the new Panasonic HD camcorder in the other day (high cap batteries and a 32 Gb SD card should be here this weekend).

I'm now searching for some good editing software. I downloaded the trial versions of Sony Vegas and Cyberlink Powerdirector. I played with Vegas last night for 30 minutes or so... it had some awesome tutorials built in... haven't messed with the Cyberlink stuff much as of yet.

I'll be mainly recording in 1080-60P, so I need software that can handle the 60P part. Most BluRay's are recorded in 1080-24P, so I should be able to downconvert as needed. I like having the superhigh, progressive frame rate as my "base footage" so I can do slomo shots or whatever.

I have a rocketship for a home PC, so computing power isn't an obstacle.

Any suggestions on software guys?

-ZA
ZA

are you sure it records in 60P? i have a cannon and it is 24P and for action footage it is 30P. anyway it is not an easy process to get done. i have yet to be able to do it. the native files play great on hdtv through the camera. when i import and make a movie when i play back on computer it has the venician blind opening and closing look. i think if i get a blue ray writer and put it on a blue ray disc and play it to the hdtv it will work.

i do it on my laptop and it is really not powerful enough. and i am using studio 14.

lets us know if you get it all to work and how you do it.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
I see you already purchased...but...having "enough" computer isn't always "enough". Editing programs can be very sensitive to specific hardware and/or OS requirements. Check and double check that what you bought is compatible with your specific OS and version, and also your video card.

I would call your hard drive space decent but if you mess around with very much footage at all, you are going to need to expand, both storage and operating space. Working from an external storage drive is a bottleneck at best and sometimes a nightmare.

I have not tried Vegas, but I have heard it is a good program especially for home use.

Good luck. It can be fun and can also make you crazy.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it records in 1080-60P.... that's one of the main reasons I got it. I can also record in 24P or 60i if I want to, but I'll stick with the highest res. to start with and work my way back if I NEED to.

I have already downloaded some test 1080-60P (with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio to boot) footage I've taken and Vegas recongizes it and the audio as such, so did the Cyberlink.

Bly-rays are supposed to be recorded in 24P... Anythign other than that would cause issues.

-ZA

ZA

are you sure it records in 60P? i have a cannon and it is 24P and for action footage it is 30P. anyway it is not an easy process to get done. i have yet to be able to do it. the native files play great on hdtv through the camera. when i import and make a movie when i play back on computer it has the venician blind opening and closing look. i think if i get a blue ray writer and put it on a blue ray disc and play it to the hdtv it will work.

i do it on my laptop and it is really not powerful enough. and i am using studio 14.

lets us know if you get it all to work and how you do it.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see you already purchased...but...having "enough" computer isn't always "enough". Editing programs can be very sensitive to specific hardware and/or OS requirements. Check and double check that what you bought is compatible with your specific OS and version, and also your video card.

I would call your hard drive space decent but if you mess around with very much footage at all, you are going to need to expand, both storage and operating space. Working from an external storage drive is a bottleneck at best and sometimes a nightmare.

I have not tried Vegas, but I have heard it is a good program especially for home use.

Good luck. It can be fun and can also make you crazy.
It's easy for me to add additional hard drives as needed (I built this computer myself) as I have 3 more empty bays fo HDD's!:D One of the upsides to just getting a nice tower design and building it myself... adding/upgrading is gonna be a snap from now on.

I should add that the 1 TB HDD is basically empty... I might have 5 GB worth of photos on there... maybe.

I think I have around 75 GB free on the SSD.

-ZA

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have Vegas 9 and it is powerful, but I am a technology idiot with this program for some reason. It is as close to professional editing software as you can get for the PC. Spend the time to learn all the features and I hear it rocks. The manual is only about 700 pages long..... g/l.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have Vegas 9 and it is powerful, but I am a technology idiot with this program for some reason. It is as close to professional editing software as you can get for the PC. Spend the time to learn all the features and I hear it rocks. The manual is only about 700 pages long..... g/l.
As opposed to getting the professional editing software that is made for pcs?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts