Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight isnt setting too great with me right now. Right at dark, i stalked within 10 yards of a good sized doe. I did not see the impact of the shot, but i know i placed a good shot on her from her reaction, she almost did a front flip... i thought she was going to pile up on the spot really. Well she rain off and right now the storm is over us so it was raining REALLY hard. So obviously no blood trail, well i know where she went into the woods, and i looked around for a little bit thinking she wouldnt be far in the woods. Well it was pretty thick and no luck as it was just too dark and raining too hard. So i back tracked to where the shot took place. Im still confident on my shot, but i just cant explain my arrow. Its broke off with about 7 or 8 inches on the back end (fletchin end) of the arrow, and the Front part all of 20 some inches was out further. (im sure everyone is confused by now) but can anyone explain to me why it broke off and the fletching end was closer to me from where i actually took the shot, and the broadhead end was 2 feet or so out further. you would think if the arrow broke off inside, they wouldnt be that close together nor would the fletching side be closer to where i took the shot. And by the time i found my arrow it was 40 minutes later with no signs on the arrow at all.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to add, one blade on my muzzy is messed up, has waves in it and a chip or two

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Could it be that the arrow passed thru the doe and when she kicked broke the arrow in half? That would be my guess, but thats a hard one to judge. The messed up blade could be from hitting a rock. Look real close on the blades...is there any hair or type of matter on it. Look in the grooves of the muzzy.

Go out tomorrow at first light and do a grid search. Get some friends to help you.

Paul

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Was there blood on either piece? Both pieces? What did the blood look like? Dark? Bubbly? What kind of sound did the hit make? A crack? A hollow thud? Any bone around the base of the head?
How soon after the shot did you start tracking her? I try to give it at least 20 minutes unless I watch them drop. What was her body position when you shot?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she was pretty much broadside slighty quartering away. i didnt find the arrow until 40 or so minutes later, and it is POURING, so it was completly washed off. I know it passed through her, its just not making sense to me, and especially that the fletching end was closer to me from where i took my shot, you would think the broadhead side would break off there, and the fleatchin side would eventually fall off further away. Rain isnt going to let off tommorow either.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the kick logic could be part of the reason, but still just doesnt make much sense to me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
forget why one end of the arrow wasn't where you expected, that isn't an important peice of the equation. WHen a deer is hit and kicks and starts running that arrow can snap and flip anywhere.

Doc asked good questions. About your only options now are to scour the area thru the night, if its too warm or start out 1st thing tomorrow morning if your temps are dropping where she'll be alright overnight. You'll have no blood, try to follow tracks if you can. Otherwise you'll be reduced to a grid search with as many buddies as you can muster. Hopefully you find her, but regardless you may want to try and learn as much as possible from this experience. Shooting a deer at 10 yds and being too dark to see the impact might be something to be reconsidered. Shooting a deer before a hurricane comes in to wash away any hope of a trail might also be something to think about. Good luck finding the doe and in your future hunts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replys. You made some good points heavy, and i appreciate them. I was expected to get ragged on and scolded, but you made valid points, without being negative, or an a**. Thanks

·
Registered
19,452 Posts
From what I am picturing on your description is, when you shot her and she bolted, the arrow was not all the way thru and her leg on rearward thrust busted off the arrow and it can fly upward. It was almost dark so you said so you didnt see it as it happens so fast. Usually a shot like that is fatal but not always.

As heavyarrow said, I am not far from you and I have a hard time understanding how you were bowhunting in the remnants of this hurricane.
Lesson learned?

I'd be out there now with some friends looking for her as it is way too warm! Good luck on finding her.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definant lesson learned, Im still confident with my shot and plan on finding her. I was just so confused when i found the arrow the way i did.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A few years ago I shot a buck that walked out of sight. The arrow made a loud slapping noise when I hit the deer.
The fletching end of the arrow was only 10 feet from where the arrow hit the deer. The broadhead end was about 20 feet up the trail.
The noise was from the leg snapping the arrow into as it passed thru.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be a long night for you. Unfortunately most of us have been there. Good luck in the morning and update us on the details.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Anything short of an extreme downpour would still leave some blood on the arrow if it was a solid hit. Lung blood is very bubbly, bright red and sticky. Liver blood is a deep red and thick.
As others stated, mark where you shot her and work a grid pattern. Take some ribbon so you can mark your areas. If it was a good shot, she'll be within 70 yards of the shot.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Something tells me the off side shoulder broke it as she tried to haul up outta there.

Again....what kinda sound di the hit produce?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My guess is you hit her toward's the front of the shoulder. Any hair around?
My guess is a forward of front of shoulder. She wanted to tip that way. Not much blood would say a tissue hit not veinular/artery hit. If the arrow broke off and you recovered it she might still live. Just pussed up.
Shawn F.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
O.K. .....

Here is my best guess :confused:

------------

Here is what I am deriving from this thread aside from the obvious glaring mistakes that the hunter made. :eek:

The Broadhead is bent but it is a Muzzy.....Muzzys bend , they don't break.

So what bends a muzzy?

Hard bone and much harder than a scapula alone ;)

The Muzzy also had chips missing out of the blade :eek:

Muzzys are about as resistant to chipping as any blade your likely to shoot ???

And so the only explanation (to me) is that the Muzzy went through a leg bone , in the process shattering it and nicking the blades as they hit the busted back side of the bone.

What about the fletching area of the arrow?.

Extreme Kinetic shock broke the shaft when the broadhead busted the Humerus.

The rotator cup was not in contact since it is a very soft area by comparison and it certainly wouldn't have nicked a Muzzys blade :'(

The forward 20"? ..... Carried until it shook out.

But was this hit high enough to kill?.

Perhaps ???

The lack of tallow mention possibly discounts a brisket shot from the 1/4ing angle since water would not effect this by product of the shot.

Lung? .... Doubtful :p

Lung blood would have at least stayed trapped at the connection of the vane and arrow for an extended period of time and the rain could not have gotten to at least one area of the vanes due to it laying on its face.

Two sides washed clean in 20 mins of a down pour?....doubtful ???

All three sides? ..... :mad:
It does not compute :'(

And thus I will tend to believe that we have a deer with a none vital sucking chest wound at best.

Chances of survival .... fair to poor over the next week :p

·
Registered
906 Posts
did she kick her back legs up ? you said she almost did afront flip / that usually means a heart shot.I've seen deer make it along way w/ just one blade cutting through the heart good luck

grid search 50 -400 yrds from the shot

1 - 20 of 28 Posts