Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from the ATA show, and have SEVERAL questions...first of all, EVERY dealer I talked to has THE BEST produt on the market...in fact, one dealer looked me in the eye and told me that "I deserve his product" Now that we kow my BS detector works, lets go...Last year, I tried an experiment...I went from my old school lizard tongue rest to a dropaway...it worked for me for exactly 2 and one half ASA Pro Ams...through no fault of the rest, the cable connection failed, and I was out of the money...when I talked to the company at ATA, I was told that 1. Their rest IS the best, 2. If I set it up correctly, it would afford me THE best arrow flight (better than my old Lizard tongue, and 3. I should give it another chance. I am afraid...old habits are hard to change...the rest IS a good rest (I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't make sense at the time) Any help out there?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I have no help or advice, but its amazing to me that these "salesmen" are still attempting to sell using old school used car sales techniques. You "deserve" this product!! hahahahaha

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
archery sales are no different than car sales. go to a shop that sell only PSE and martin bows and ask to see a hoyt and listen to there answers, or go to a shop they handle Y and X ask why they dont handle protuct A well a is no good we only sell the best thats X and Y get the picture

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know all about the sales pitch...I do it part time at an archery shop...anybody know anything good or bad about Schaffer rests?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do what works for you. Get a rest you can adjust yourself. Some rests are too complicated for guys to adjust themselves and then you are screwed when there is a fault with it. If you know how to adjust your rest and tune it get a QAD HDX drop away rest. Been using for years and has never broke or had any issues. If you don't know how to adjust your rest get a whisker biscuit. Pretty reliable rest for hte most part but may take 2 or 3 fps off your arrow.

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
If it ain't broke????????? Do you need to fix it?????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
so there are tons of great rests out there i personally use a type of limb driven rest for that exact reason if somthing goes wrong more than likely you can fix it carry a extra peice of cordage it will help eliminate allot of issues not saying it eliminates all of the issues

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I just got back from the ATA show, and have SEVERAL questions...first of all, EVERY dealer I talked to has THE BEST produt on the market...in fact, one dealer looked me in the eye and told me that "I deserve his product" Now that we kow my BS detector works, lets go...Last year, I tried an experiment...I went from my old school lizard tongue rest to a dropaway...it worked for me for exactly 2 and one half ASA Pro Ams...through no fault of the rest, the cable connection failed, and I was out of the money...when I talked to the company at ATA, I was told that 1. Their rest IS the best, 2. If I set it up correctly, it would afford me THE best arrow flight (better than my old Lizard tongue, and 3. I should give it another chance. I am afraid...old habits are hard to change...the rest IS a good rest (I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't make sense at the time) Any help out there?
I'm not sure I understand, you said "through no fault of the rest" The cable connection failed. All salesman are trying to sell you on their product, that's what they do. If the cord broke, slipped, etc., isn't that your fault through lack of maintenance or improper installation? On my fall away rests I change the cord minimal every season and sometimes twice a year. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I went from my old school lizard tongue rest to a dropaway...
I dumped my drop away's when I snagged a cable following a herd of elk, and my rest wouldn't raise the shaft off the shelf. The 6x6 bull walked away.

The point that has kept the lizard tongue and prong rests in business is they will generally hold up longer. Anything with moving parts has a risk associated with every moving part, whether it's a arrow rest, or a space shuttle. Some rests are designed better than others, some rests are built with better materials than others.

That doesn't make one type better than any other type of rest, but for any type, some rests are better than other rests. Usually you get what you pay for. The more parts involved, with any rest design, the more you need to pay attention to the screws and cables that drive function.

Without a doubt, drop away rests, set up and adjusted properly, will give the shooter the best arrow flight. Especially as arrow speeds crank up, and rest contact has a greater effect. If your setup is not in the "light speed" class, you may not need a drop away. I use a fixed prong style rest for everything, and past about 300fps, my form is not consistent enough to keep an occasional flyer from crashing my score, or shots on a game animal, (I don't shoot with a loop). Past 280fps, I can't get 100% flight with a fixed blade BH. Other shooters will have different limits. What are yours?

If you have lost confidence in your rest, which also has an effect on your shooting and focus, try another rest, or dig out that old lizard. It is what it is.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Serve to the cable not through the cable.

Carry spare cord and just wrap it up and back to shooting.

When you get your cord adjusted with the football. Make a base serv about 15 wraps above the ball just on the cable.

Trim and burn a ball on the cord.

Start a new serv under your just made stop serv.

Then run figure 8’s to bind the cord to the cable 15-20 or what you feel is good.

Serv back over the 8’s and finish to. Have it look tidy.

I use the .08 spectra bcy but what you have works.

You don’t have to do the cover wrap just finish it well by the ball on the cord.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
You know how to tell if a salesman is lying?......
I run my rest cord thru the buss cable right at the bottom of the serving on most bows if I can and bon't even tie it in, just melt the end of the cord like a D loop, can't go anywhere and easy to move if I have to twist the cable. If your serving is not in the right place tie it in like a peep, doesn't move. How did you attack the cord?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I attached the cord by running it through the cable. serving it, running it BACK through the cable, serving that and tying it off...it should not have moved...string material got really greasy at Cullman, and the cord slipped...not much, but enough to cause the arrow to shoot low...I compensated for that by pulling the cord down the cable...until it froze the left jaw of the rest...causing the fletch to hit it and veer off to the left...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I love trade show, i wish, i could of been at the ATA show.

Show have one thing in common

THEY HAVE ANSWERS TO PROBLEMS THAT DOES NOT EVEN EXIST YET
OR
THEY HAVE ANSWERS TO QUESTION THAT NEVER ENTERED OUR MIND.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts