Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a reflex highlander with ACC, release, whisker Biscuit rest, and cushion button, no loop.

I was able to paper tune my bow (with feathers), everything shot good at 3-4 feet, at 6-12 feet (I varied it) I was able to get a good paper tear BUT my arrow is clearly pointing down and to the right (I am right handed) so much so it is very very obvious with the naked eye and loos very wrong.

I am very very uncomfortable with this. Set at what looks right I get good paper tear at 3-4 feet.

Ideas?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also

This is for hunting. I also wonder if using a cushion button is causing a lot of pressure on my arrow at the nock and causing the end to fishtail

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'd check for fletching clearance and second that you might be torquing the bow...sometimes the paper lies!

how are the arrows flying? Can you see they are going straight or not?

shoot a bare shaft at a target and/or through the paper and see what happens.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not think I am torquing the bow, but I am not sure. I keep an opne grip successfully through release.

Bow is pretty much all tuned cams timed etc.

I should add I have never been able to paper tune any of my 4 bows. Ever.

I have had guys watch me and say my form is great.

I am lost at what to do.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
tears

I have been shooting a Reflex Grizzly and have had the same problem with paper tuning any bow. I finally came to the conclusion that if the arrow appears to fly straight and I am grouping well, forget the rest and go hunting. You can spend a lot of time on this and get no-where.

I am not an expert on tuning a bow and perhaps someone will have the answer for you 'and me'... Good luck and have a great season.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
DonV said:
I am shooting a reflex highlander with ACC, release, whisker Biscuit rest, and cushion button, no loop.

I was able to paper tune my bow (with feathers), everything shot good at 3-4 feet, at 6-12 feet (I varied it) I was able to get a good paper tear BUT my arrow is clearly pointing down and to the right (I am right handed) so much so it is very very obvious with the naked eye and loos very wrong.

I am very very uncomfortable with this. Set at what looks right I get good paper tear at 3-4 feet.

Ideas?

I don't know where to start --- you didn't mention the spine or length of arrow or the Lbs draw weight you're shooting. Additional info is needed before anyone can actually start you on the right track. You need to start a process of elimination and you can get your bow tuned. Nonetheless, I will start by saying that paper tuning is only a starting point and really isn't as reliable as some think. Depending on whether or not you have the correct arrows you can walk back tune, then group tune, or broadhead tune. You can do a search on here and find out all the details to do each method. Honestly, I would forget the paper tune at this stage and walk back and broadhead tune. The rest of it will take care of itself when you get your broadheads grouping and flying like your fieldpoints.:wink:

·
(aka lug nut)
48,384 Posts
DonV said:

Ideas?
I agree with Stehawk.

Please provide every detail you can think of.

Year of bow? (2006? 2005? 2002?)
Brand of bow? (Mathews, Hoyt?, Martin?, Ross?)
Model of bow? (Trykon?, Allegiance?, Razor X ?)

Draw weight of bow? (?? lbs)
Draw length of bow? (?? inches)
Percent letoff for the cams? (65%, 75%, 80%)

Brand and model of arrow (ACC 3-60??)

Arrow shaft length? (not including the nock or insert length)

Tip weight (100 grain screw in field tip? 125 grain field tip?)

Brand and model and length of feathers
(3-inch feathers, 4-inch feathers, 5-inch feathers)

Arrow wrap (yes? no? 7-in wide at 10 grains)

Nock system (Easton pin nocks?? Easton G-nock??)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts