Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting pretty good lately but these last couple days I have picked up a bad habit somewhere. When I get ready to release I have been catching myself trying to punch the trigger and jerk the bow. I now have to concentrate on the release more than usual to keep my groups up. What can I do to help cure the problem fast?:confused: Would a wrist strap help the jerk?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
"Would a wrist strap help the jerk?"

Don't be so tough on yourself rolltide.:wink:

When I start back into that bad finger state (I shoot an Answer release) I have a mantra I use while staring down the spot: "aim, aim, touch your hip, aim, aim, touch your hip" (with the release elbow). This keeps my wandering, thinking mind occupied while my trained mind pulls my release arm against the strap enabling the release.

YMMV

Rick

·
Registered
226 Posts
Best way to stop the jerks is to switch to a back tension release (use the thumb for hunting vs back tension). If don't want to switch, try a trick like dragging your release across your cheek. You will remember the feel of it every time and can then tell when you jerk. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I dont think the wrist strap will cure that issue.
Its just a minor attack of target panic sounds like to me.
Almost like flinching while shooting a rifle and then loading a dummy round in and trying it. Makes it very noticable.
As for how to cure it. Not sure.
Maybe like the other guy said.
Make a shooting checklist in your mind and run the list everytime. That way your focusing on that one part of your form as you go threw the list until the arrow just decided to leave.
JMO

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anybody tried a thumb release for hunting?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The problem is caused by your mind anticipating the shot. I do the same thing if I try to squeeze the trigger and it does not fire when I expect it to.

If you jerk at the point of release it is your mind subconsciously reacting to prevent the flinging of your bow downrange.

The way to fix it is to make sure you do not know when the release is going to happen.

If the release is a complete surprise then you WILL need a wrist strap to maintain the possession of the bow.

A back tension release can be used if you are shooting fixed point targets. You can achieve the same effect as B.T. release if you have someone else pull the trigger for you.

For hunting I think I need to know when the release is going to happen, so I have to try my best to overcome target panic by practicing a smooth trigger pull. I will never completely overcome it with a trigger release though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can fire a trigger release with BT. It will work better than using your index finger to pull the trigger. I learned a BT release then when I picked up the trigger release I applied similar thinking. Just curl your finger around the trigger and then pull the trigger with your back. Do not curl your finger farther to activate the release.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts