Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until a year ago I was shooting with ACC arrows and was consistently shooting tight groups out to 50 meters. After that the group opened up a bit. On advice, I upgraded to the Nano XR, but ever since I have struggled with shooting tight groups on a consistent basis. I find them extraordinarily sensitive to a smooth release, with even the slightest variance resulting in large changes down range – even at 30, 40, and 50 meters. Any thoughts? The arrows have 120 grain points, spin wings, and have been tuned to the bow. Would a heavier arrow be better? I'm hunting for answers here. Thanks!!

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
Up until a year ago I was shooting with ACC arrows and was consistently shooting tight groups out to 50 meters. After that the group opened up a bit. On advice, I upgraded to the Nano XR, but ever since I have struggled with shooting tight groups on a consistent basis. I find them extraordinarily sensitive to a smooth release, with even the slightest variance resulting in large changes down range – even at 30, 40, and 50 meters. Any thoughts? The arrows have 120 grain points, spin wings, and have been tuned to the bow. Would a heavier arrow be better? I'm hunting for answers here. Thanks!!
Weight on the fingers?
Draw length?
Brace height?

What spine Nano XR?
What is the raw shaft length (just the length of the carbon tube only)?

Yes or no on the arrow wrap?

What were the specs on the ACCs that you were using before?

· Registered
414 Posts
My son use to shoot the NANO XR and the same thing happened to him just in the opposite. Once we switched to the ACC it was much easier to tune and hold tight groups. Then we moved to the X10 and it was even better. STICK WITH THE EASTON.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Answer to Nuts&Bolts Questions

Thanks for the feedback.

Nuts&Bolts, here are my specs (I am tall):

Carbon Shaft Length = 30 5/8"
Spline = Nano XR 530
110 Grain tips
Spin Wings: 1 3/4" (not a wrap)
Nano Pin Knocks

Brace Height of Bow: 8 3/4"
Poundage of Bow: ~42 lbs with 32" draw
25" Riser, Long Limbs

Any thoughts? THANKS!

· Genesis 21:20
25,291 Posts
My son use to shoot the NANO XR and the same thing happened to him just in the opposite. Once we switched to the ACC it was much easier to tune and hold tight groups. Then we moved to the X10 and it was even better. STICK WITH THE EASTON.
That's funny because I saw just the opposite. Nano XR's were infinitely easier for me to tune, and X10's have had a reputation for many years for being difficult to tune well. Just search the AT forum for X10 tuning and you'll see what I mean. Personally I never had any issue tuning X10's after some trial and error, but the Nano XR and Nano Pro tune easier for me over a broader range of conditions than any other arrow's I've shot.

ACC's are indeed great arrows however. I shot them from my very first fita recurve (a 25-year old TD-3) and they did fine out to 90 meters.

If someone knows what they're doing with tuning, and how to select arrows, any manufacturer's arrows can be successfully tuned. But it does take trial and error and knowlege specific to that particluar arrow. The body of knowlege out there about ACE's and X10's is huge, so it only makes sense that it's easier to get help with those arrows at the moment.

To answer the original post, I'm not sure how an arrow can be sensitive to a smooth release. A heavier arrow is not the answer. Chosing the correct spine for the bow you are shooting, and the way you shoot it, is. More info on your setup would be helpful.

John

· Registered
3,186 Posts
I've not shot the XR's, so I didn't want to comment to the OP. However, it is inherently unfair to say brand X is inferior, because you can't tune them. There are too many variables. I shoot the Nano Pros currently. Thanks to John's review some time ago, I decided to give them a whirl. I'm glad I did. This is not to disparage any arrow out there. Each has a target audience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.