Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
Mathew VRX 31.5
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today was the last day of the PA archery. and around 1:00 pm I found this rub
going into the swamp. so can you swamp rats give me advice for hunting him in swamp lands?
Tree Natural environment Natural landscape Nature reserve Plant

· Feedn The Geese
12,838 Posts
Id say at this point youre pissing in the wind honestly. Ive had sign take me down the wrong road so many times. Unless you know where he beds you might never see that deer.

Then again, you might have a golden horseshoe up your ass like some people I know.

· Registered
Mathew VRX 31.5
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id say at this point youre pissing in the wind honestly. Ive had sign take me down the wrong road so many times. Unless you know where he beds you might never see that deer.

Then again, you might have a golden horseshoe up your ass like some people I know.
that's the whole point find one or two of his beds. heck the way stuff looks on the map. he should be bedding in that swamp somewhere

· Registered
30 Posts
You may have a chance with a ground blind set up, id just be worried about poking around to much in there cause I'm sure he's bedded down back there where he feels protected. If it were me, id find the most likely ingress/egress path and set up 20yrds down wind and wait for a few hours, see if he comes out at dusk. Good luck!

· Registered
Mathew VRX 31.5
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may have a chance with a ground blind set up, id just be worried about poking around to much in there cause I'm sure he's bedded down back there where he feels protected. If it were me, id find the most likely ingress/egress path and set up 20yrds down wind and wait for a few hours, see if he comes out at dusk. Good luck!
I'm pretty sure that's where he is bedding too.

· Registered
723 Posts
Get as close as you can and be REALLY quiet. Make sure your wind is good. Watched a buck bed in a swamp a couple weeks back. Had to back out due to the wind changing. Moved about 40 yds down the edge when I came back and set up within 50 yds of him. Unfortunately not close enough to his exit point that afternoon. Did watch a great video by Infalt on hunting bucks in swamps from years ago. Great info in it.

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,940 Posts
Read the sign post. He's rubbing those going into his bedding area.
Probably going in in the morning.
Set up 20 yards or so up the trail and be in there early in the morning and cross your fingers.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,882 Posts
OP, It seems to me its going to depend on what the bedding area looks like and how big it is. If its huge, there could be twenty trails that look like that. I can see why you are excited about those scrapes...that looks to be a big buck.

FWIW, we found something similar on a public ground hunt a week ago....it sure looked like a huge buck...and tracks in the mud to matc- big deer. We told the Biologist...and he let on that there was a legitimate 200"er in there....nice to know...but we never saw him.

I've always wanted to ask a guy like yourself that hunts those swamp areas;
Do these swamp bucks have a predictable routine...or do they enter exit on different trails all the time?

Do you even hunt the edge of bedding areas? Curious...as it seems tough.

· Registered
2,052 Posts
Like Regal said tracking is tough. I love huntin swamps cause not many people like to go there. If I were you especially during the rut I’d sit there all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Feedn The Geese
12,838 Posts
I've always wanted to ask a guy like yourself that hunts those swamp areas;
Do these swamp bucks have a predictable routine...or do they enter exit on different trails all the time?

Do you even hunt the edge of bedding areas? Curious...as it seems tough.
I hunt swamps but I hunt big woods swamps so its a double whammy. In my swamps its not consistent because the food isnt consistent. I push in as close as I can to the beds but sometimes its pretty far. My swamps dont look like the ones you see on youtube with big vast cattails going into islands. Mine are more like floating bogs in pines. I guess maybe theyd be more considered marshes. Theyre more often caused by beavers on small creeks than natural marshes. Theyre wet to begin with but the beavers flood it. Here theres also a double ladder stand everywhere you can imagine. I ran into one two weeks ago on a point jutting out where I figured there would be beds.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have 40acres of which 28 is resbrush swamp connected to hundreds more. I have a few high areas on a couple sides of them but playing the wind is tough or near impossible for me. I have learned the most going out after season when ground is good and frozen to see the trails and there are always way more than you would guess. Mine really has no “pinch point” so they come and go all over. Not sure that helped or answered your question. Could always just throw the dice like a lot of state land hunters here and just go bust in and set up and a giant will walk by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· The Impartial Archer
24,831 Posts

I don't think that at all. In the swamps you have travel routes that deer tend to use because they don't prefer to walk through water....they WILL but it's not the first choice IMO. They will use these high dry trails like a hwy. If you find a pinch point in a trail like that it's a gold mine.

During the rut these bucks will move down these trails searching for does in heat........bedding areas have nothing to do with that IMO. I'd be looking for a pinch and set there as long as I could stand it.

· Full-time Dork
2,490 Posts
so today was the last day of the PA archery. and around 1:00 pm I found this rub
going into the swamp. so can you swamp rats give me advice for hunting him in swamp lands? View attachment 7309940 View attachment 7309940
Judging by the position of those rubs, you might be safe-ish in assuming that’s one of the main ways bucks go in and out of that swamp. Looks like one on entry and one on exit. You could setup a little off of that run and see what walks by then go from there.

· Registered
490 Posts
Gotta be sneaky. Really hard to sneak through all that thick stuff without sounding like a bulldozer. And walking on deer trails to get in there just let's them know what's up. Set up and hunt downwind now. Then scout after season to find likely travel routes. Then find areas that you can access with the lowest impact.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.