Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off thnx for reading.....im in need of some advice as my shooting ability has went to h-ll in a hand basket....it started awhile back and has been getting worse ever since....now im at the point of giving up.....heres the problem.....i got out to practice with the family and first few shots are as usual.....then it starts...i anchor,,aim,,see where i want to hit and feel myself jerking the release as my pin is right where i want it.....when it works,,,bullseye...dead on....but then it happens....ready to let it go and jerk bad and off the target it goes into no mans land......after a few times of that i have labled my self dangerous to myself and others.......i cant have random arrows flying to points unknown and until i find away to get it under control ,,i might as well hang up the bow....i have tried to read the posts on target panic,,punching the release etc....i puts my mind into a spin...too much info i guess....i see the recomendations for back tension and such but have no interest in doing that.....have any of you release shooters gone through this and how did you over come it.....i love deer hunting but am so afraid it will follow me into my hunting that i will not even attempt it til i am target shooting again the way i used to be.....any help is and will be greatly appreciated.....im hoping with help from fellow archers i might be able to enjoy archery again the way i used too........thnx...bill

·
Registered
260 Posts
put a blank bail five yards away close your eyes and execute the shot. Do this for about a week or so. You need to retrain your body to it's form. When you start getting target panic it's because you have to think about your form and not aiming. For should come instinctively so you can just focus on that little x-ring. I found that this helped me out a great deal and I think it will help you out to.

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
Try blank bailing......get close to the bail (no target involved, just blank) and put the pin on the target. Now concentrate on your draw, anchor and especially the release. Don't really look at the bail, just kinda stare through it and put your mind on the release. Do this for several arrows and several days. When the target goes back up, just concentrate on the X...the rest should just begin to happen normally. You should also start out each session like this with a few arrows before using a target face. It has been helping me become more steady.

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
put a blank bail five yards away close your eyes and execute the shot. Do this for about a week or so. You need to retrain your body to it's form. When you start getting target panic it's because you have to think about your form and not aiming. For should come instinctively so you can just focus on that little x-ring. I found that this helped me out a great deal and I think it will help you out to.
Aww ya beat me...great minds I guess.:wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
bill- i have an old cobra caliper release, the ones that have the adjustment on the trigger. i take an allen wrench and move that screw. it dont matter which way you go. just move it. then you will concentrate on holding your pin exactly where you want it and easing into the trigger instead of punching it. shoot it like that until you feel your old habits creeping back in and then adjust the trigger again to re-focus. try it, works for me. target panic starts when you start anticipating the bow going off, to get your mind off that you need to change something in your setup that will directly affect your release. i find that buying a new bow re-focuses me too, but adjust the tension on my trigger is alot cheaper! good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx all for the help....the release im using is the Winn Free flight c-10....ive tried the adjustment thing....it was good for a few shots thn it happens again.....i had the recomendation to use the middle finger instead of the trigger finger,,,again,,good for a few shots then problem comes up again....next step.....Blank Bale!!!!! Now i just need to find some at affordable prices....Ill give that a try and see how it goes........thnx again..

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I have gone through the same thing. I was using a target release or hand held wich ever you want to call it. Tru-Ball Chappy Boss. I was doing the same thing. I had a combination of a few things. Nerve injury, target panic the works. What worked best for me was to switch back to a wrist release. I switched to a Tru-Fire Judge. This helped alot with punching the release. Plus I had to just get it in my head that it's for fun and not worry about everything. Just went back to the basics. Made sure my form was right and went out and practiced. Been working fine every since. It can be frustrating, but just remember it's for fun. If you over critisize yourself then it will cause issues. So just go and make it fun and don't over think it. I also would recommend what the others said about the blank bail.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Here is something Charles Blankenship taught me.Draw back and aim at the target.With your finger behind the trigger pretend to shoot.Pretend to shoot 3 times while at full draw.Watch what your pin does each time you fake fire the release.The first time my pin will show me trying to jerk it.2nd time not as bad 3rd getting calm.I do this when I catch myself hanken and snatchen.I also like shooting at about 5 yards.Aiming at arrow holes in my target.I then move back a little at a time till I feel comfortable with my shot
good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update....ive tried a few of the suggestions and it is helping....i took my back up bow and removed the sights,,,adjusted my bag target to bow arm shooting level and did some blind bale shooting....ive moved back up to 10 yards and concentrate on just making the shot,,,not really staring at the pin but rather getting my anchor point right,,,look only where i want the arrow to hit,,,,not really staring at the pin but rather use it as a line up of sorts,,,and my shooting is coming back......ill keep this up til i get my confidence back.....below is a pic of my 10 yard groups so far.....

Attachments

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
You can not be serious about getting rid of the target panic on the one hand, while on the other hand completely dish the idea of a BT release.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can not be serious about getting rid of the target panic on the one hand, while on the other hand completely dish the idea of a BT release.
sure i can....i have no interest what so ever in learning to shoot with a back tension release.....im not a target shooter,,,i dont go for a perfect shooting game,,,never done a 3d match,,,im a self tought archer that up til the point of having a minor set back could shoot with the best of ya....i used to shoot m&ms taped to a piece of card board at 20 yards for fun.....we used to have fun shooting for dollars,,,,a game where you fold a dollar bill to a very small size and closest shooter win.....i love to target shoot with my family,,,,deer hunt in the fall etc...i asked for help to try to over come a shooting problem and not get dogged because i dont want to try a back tension release.....thnx to all who gave me advice as its working....and sorry for the rant......IVE HAD A bAD DAY!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Bill now that we know you are not a pro shooter one of the easier things
to try is to shorten your wrist release and use the second joint of your finger to trigger the shot. I find that when I use the tip of my trigger finger the same thing happens like you.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bill now that we know you are not a pro shooter one of the easier things
to try is to shorten your wrist release and use the second joint of your finger to trigger the shot. I find that when I use the tip of my trigger finger the same thing happens like you.
I definately second that!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
For me, when I get in the woods; I will draw with my finger behind the trigger and go through my shot sequence three times (letting down each time). This seems to get the jitters out and then I don't find myself jerking when the shot needs to count.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts