Archery Talk Forum banner

Need some advice on food plot please...

1128 15
I am new to the food plot thing, this is my first time even trying. I havn't done the soil test yet but I was wondering is it to late to even start one? The area I have picked is great (I Think) it is between a huge thicket and a soy bean field. I have seen the deer movement here for a long time and have studies the wind currents and direction, I got them perfect almost. Anyway I cleared the area with a rake, removed anything in the way. Mostly clear before i started. I notices that the top of the soil even about a inch down that is was dry as all get out. The area is 35 yards long by 15 yards wide and it is on a slight decline.This area gets about 2-3 hours of partial sunlight. I wanted to try the biologic HOT SPOT but really I have no idea what to do. Need help please.
Thanks for your ideas

JOHN
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your pm Alpha Doe

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Since you didn't get lime down cause you will need it, I would get some Gain for a quick fix, plant some brassicas like essex rape and turnips( they grow quick) and, fertilize with 13-13-13. It will be a hot spot by mid to late november.

· Registered
3,383 Posts
I agree,you need atleast 4 hours of sun light.It's your cash and your plot.If you want to try anyway,I would rake in some line,broadcast some light fertilizer 13 13 13 or in that area and broadcast your seed.I would wait to apply my seed untill they are forecasting rain.The birds,turkeys and other critters may get your seed if it sets too long.Normally in Ohio close to labor day is a good fall plot time.

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the input yall. I went today and bought 50 lbs of mixed oats, rye and winter wheat. I cut down a couple trees today to get some sunlight and rain in the area. I also noticed from the time I cleared the area with a rake to when I got back to hang a stand there were deer tracks in the area that I raked:eek: This was in about 3 hours. Just a FREAK thing I think:wink:

Thanks JOHN

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Food Plot

I just wanted to update the plot and say that I tilled the ground, finally got my tiller back there. Got the ground pretty turned up. Then I raked again spreading and leveling everything out. I then planted the seed oats, rye and winter wheat. I then LIGHTLY took the rake and brushed it over the entire plot, trying to get the seed just underneath the soil. Even though the soil was so dry and a little clumpy. I hope this works I didn't lime it and i didn't have the $$ for the fertilizer so I guess well see. Also i could not get all the seed covered up with soil i hope the critters don't get it. They say rain tonight and tomorrow.

thanks JOHN

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,940 Posts
2-3 hours of partial sunlight isn't going to do it for ya...
The sprouts will get tall and spindly and fall over shortly after germination.

But in terms of planting....
It depends on your avg frost date..if you can get a full month and a half to two months of growth you will get a little something...

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have some pics

Here is a pick of the food plot from one of the two tree stands in the area.

This is the entire plot longways.

Tell me what ya think...besides its small LOL:wink:

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Looks good John! Hope you get some good rainfall. Maybe as the leaves fall you will get more sunlight. I think the grains should continue to grow till cold weather and stay green. Just hope for rain and sun.:confused: Grains can grow pretty well in marginal soils, so hopefully there will be enough nutrients there to get some growth. If not still looks like a great place for next year after you can thow some lime and fertilizer. It wouldn't take much. Looks like a great hunting plot.

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ttt

ttt

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,940 Posts
Buckwheat is your best shot in poor soil.
The deer will love the fresh green shoots in the fall when a lot of the ag crops are out...but that looks like a tough spot for growing most of the normal food plot stuff.

· Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the input yall. I went today and bought 50 lbs of mixed oats, rye and winter wheat. I cut down a couple trees today to get some sunlight and rain in the area. I also noticed from the time I cleared the area with a rake to when I got back to hang a stand there were deer tracks in the area that I raked:eek: This was in about 3 hours. Just a FREAK thing I think:wink:

Thanks JOHN
When I am able to, I plant winter wheat at our place in the Ozarks, and if you do not know, the ozarks does not have very good soil, heck for that matter, they don't have alot of soil to begin with. But only 2 times has my wheat not came up, both times it came a flood, and all the seed got flooded out. I think wheat is a great thing to be planting.

· Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Meat

Thanks for your encouraging thoughts. I have been down and out thinking this was not going to work. Still waiting to see the full result.

Thanks JOHN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.