Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know bow hunting out of a box blind isn't ideal, but I'm in need of some plans or ideas for one. I need to build one for my dad. He has some trouble seeing deer approach and gets spotted or smelled or something. This is all due to a stroke from 05.

I'm wanting to build him a large box type blind to hunt out of in his main spot. I'm wanting to make it so that it's impossible for him to bump anything in moving, should he need to. I'm thinking 8x8, but that's huge..but if that's what it takes, I'm gonna build it. I'm not sure on the size of the shooting window or even how to do it. .should I do fold downs or what? This will be on a feeder, so the deer should be localized for a shot.

My main concern is that he had trouble in a grouND blind before with low light. When it got somewhat late, he couldn't see out. Moving his current stand is going to be tricky with the wind, trails, and young planted pines. There just aren't many options. ..leading me to think of the box blind.

I'm racking my brain here...just trying to do whatever I can to make him successful.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I was looking to do the same thing but I found the Maverick 5 shooter on sale at Menards, its actually on sale again right now http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...425722943-c-13885.htm?tid=8855907781808321343

It's not 8' x 8' but more than big enough for 1 person to move around and not bump anything. By the time you build the platform you should end up spending at least a couple hundred less than building a nice one with good windows. And this has a 20 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Can you stand up and shoot out of the Maverick?

·
28' up in Louisiana
771 Posts
image.jpg

6 ft diameter octagon blind with Deerview Windows vertical mounted

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Using the advanced search button, key word "box blind" searching just thread titles only, I get two pages of box blind threads. Here's the link to the search: There lots of info, some get duplicated in multiple threads but lots of ideas here. I am working on one myself but not quite ready to post yet.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/search.php?searchid=99147233
That link must not be ready either, because it doesn't open

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have some plans drawn up for a blind i have been building and plan on setting it up this spring in a spot that will be great to take kids (and aging adults). The plans were draw up using this pic that I found on a thread here but can no longer find the thread. Its 8x6 and should have plenty of room. I will not be able to get back to where I have the plans until this weekend, however, next week i will try and remember to scan them and upload them on here.

bd8d09da9393a9e1e9067b0378586e5d.jpg

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bringing this back up.

Still need some window ideas and what size to make them.

Everything I can find appears to made for rifle hunting and are too slim. 24x24?

I wish I could find something pre-made that didn't cost an arm and a leg, but that's not looking good

·
Registered
157 Posts
For windows, I would think they should go almost all the way to the floor (a foot or so off). Most screens are shoot - through, so you could buy pre - built screen windows and build some shutters to put on the inside. Then you can just re - screen the windows arts needed. It's one of the things I considered.
http://www.freedeerstandplans.com/index.html
I found a lot of good ideas and plans on this site.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Bringing this back up.

Still need some window ideas and what size to make them.

Everything I can find appears to made for rifle hunting and are too slim. 24x24?

I wish I could find something pre-made that didn't cost an arm and a leg, but that's not looking good
The Maverick 6-Shooter is designed for bowhunting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts