Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right thread but feel free to redirect me if it isn't. So I bought a used 45# compound bow a while back and I've been using a set of fiberglass arrows I used with a weak re curve bow I had. Basically these arrows don't seem to hold up. I had 12 but I lost one, my fault entirely, but several have either lost they're tip in my target or the nocks fly off mid flight. I should mention I'm only shooting at targets right now. With so much out there on the market its hard to know what is a good economical choice for a starting arrow set while buying arrows that won't just fall apart after a few shots. I was hoping someone on here has had this problem and knows a solution? Can anyone recommend a pack of arrows for a beginner with a 45# compound bow for target shooting? preferably something that won't break the bank :) Feel free to ask me for any other specifics if it would be helpful in a recommendation. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Get rid of the fiberglass arrows they not made for compounds. Easton Powerflight 500 are a good cheap beginner arrow

·
Socket Man
24,701 Posts
Get some gold tip expeditions from jerry at south shore archery, he builds custom arrows and I think his price will be competitive. Expeditions are really tough and accurate arrows for back yard shooting and hunting and will serve you well, request some boning doubble lock nocks from jerry instead of the gold tip nocks and get some gold tip ez pull 100 grain points from him when you order. I would get some 2 inch razor feathers also they are just freaking cool and everyone else is shooting vanes so yours will stand out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The Bass Pro Shop X5 is a good and cheap arrow. They cost about $5 an arrow and hold up really well. I'm not sure you can find an arrow any better at the price.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Stop shooting those fiberglass arrows!!!!

Not made for compounds could be the equivalent to a dry fire!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Go get some aluminum at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay so I get the point of not shooting fiberglass anymore, noted, whats a good material to shoot then? carbon? aluminum? like which is better?

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,936 Posts
Neither is really better.... Most folks shoot carbon because of the durability if you have a bad shot.

If you are a newbie, go with carbon.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
dicks sporting goods usually carries the gold tip devastators pretty cheap. they are carbon and get the 400 spines. really light and more than enough strength for your bow

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I did some quick looking around based on what you guys had said and I found these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ge&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.4414430.4414489
What do you guys think of these? I don't think they come with any tips, is the the usual? and I would have to get them cut down a little. thoughts?
also thanks for all the input here :)
I have purchased three sets of these (they had them for $20 a while back) and have been very happy with them. I think they are basically Easton Powerflights. I shot a buck last week with one and it held up just fine. The vanes probably are not as durable as some more expensive arrows. They include inserts and you will have to get them cut and have the inserts installed. They do not include tips, which is normal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Carbon arrows fly more true. Aluminum ones, I don't know…. seem to warp? They don't fly true at all. I've had the best luck with any carbon fiber arrow I've used. And you cut your arrows down to 1/2 inch more than what your draw is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts