Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday was our opener for spring gobblers and i never bowhunted for them. i was in a blind with a full strut gobbler and hen decoy out at 13 yds. i had two longbeards come in , when they saw my decoys one starting putting, i saw one run out in front of me away from the decs, the other went up away from me in the woods and was gobbling from the same area for about an hour.
at first i tried calling them back but i realized the gobbler wasn't moving and stayed put , i stopped calling.
this is their turf and i'm going back tomorrow. i set my blind at a different location. i'm looking for some advice on how to finish the deal. should i just go with the hen decoy and do not call or what ? i know the birds roost nearby and use this area frequently , i have them on pics from my trail cameras. actually i have them on pics coming to my call on sat. morning . any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey buddy here is my two cents. Our youth day was yesterday. We had a two to three year old bird come in and play the same game with my decoys. He would not challenge my jake decoy but defineatly wanted the hen. Most likely the birds that came out are not the dominant birds in that area and were intimidated. That is why they kept calling but would not come in. We got our bird because of the handy 20 gauge but with a bow it probally wouldn't of happened. We are going back out with bows tomorrow and I am only using two hen decoys. Our birds here are hot but don't seem to want to challenge each other. Hope my two cents help and good luck hunting.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Face the Tom TOWARDS your Blind 10 yards out....

Color his head up and leave just a Little White, put more red in it. White is there dominating color.... the red leaves at ese a little more on average.

With all that said some birds just realize that thier Buddies (dekes) arent moving...And split because of it...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
turkeys

I agree, from my experience the full strut decoys work great on old mature dominant birds, but actually work against you if the old birds is not what your hunting. Go with the hen only or multiple hens an IMO you will have a photo of your ird on here tomorrow.Good Luck

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I wouldn't use the Strutter on those Toms again and just try a couple Hens or a Jake and a Hen. These birds obviously aren't dominate enough to charge in and fight. Chances are they've both had their butts kicked by the areas dominate bird.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all this info makes a lot of sense. thanks and keep your eyes peeled on the game cam forum for my pics. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts