Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my honey a bow so she can shoot w/ me.I think I want to get her something she can shoot inside with,so prabably dont want camo.i think shes a 24" ??.My real problem is I know absalutely nothing about the girls bows.Can some of you girls tell me what you like and why?

thks

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
Your best bet is to take her to try as many as she can, and just get her the one she likes best. Her decision will probably be based on its looks, since she has no experience shooting. Thats ok. Let her pick out her accessories and make it her own. That will help get her shooting. After she begins to love it, then the technical stuff will come into play and she will develop some preferences. Let her explore all the colors and options without trying to influence her very much. But do be sure to get her an arm guard. If she smacks her arm and gets hurt the first time she shoots it (as women tend to do more than men), she will likely not pick the bow up again.

A few to check out to start with are the Hoyt Kobalt, Bowtech Equalizer, Diamond Razor Edge, Mission UX2, Rytera Alien... There are a lot of options. For indoor, it doesn't need to be fast.

Be sure to get her draw length measured, and get a draw weight she doesn't need to struggle with or grow into. Get her a couple of lessons right off the bat, because women sometimes shoot a little differently than men. Then sit back, and let her learn at her own pace. Have fun. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
My husband wanted me to get a Mission Menace but when we went to the shop to shoot it, I ended up getting a Hoyt Trykon Sport. You need to take her to shoot some that way she can pick what best suits her.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It is great that you want to get your honey involved in archery. Our company is dedicated to empowering women to enter shooting sports with confidence. We do that by hosting free Test Flights of multiple bows from the top manufactures.

We will be at the IBO, 1st Leg of the Triple Crown in Bedford, Indiana 15 - 17 May 2009; Redstone Arsenal, AL on 23 May; and the ASA Limbsaver Shoot in London, KY 29-31 May. We are hoping to get out to August, GA on 25 April at the ASA Easton Shoot.

We have
The Admiral from BowTech (left and right hand)
The IceMan from Diamond by BowTech
The Rock from BowTech
The AlphaMax from Hoyt
The Kobalt from Hoyt
The Hyperlite from Mathews
The Ignition from Mathews
The Leopard from Martin
The Sienna from Alpine Archery
The DeadZone 30 by Limbsaver
Recurve Bows from Lancaster Archery Supply (right and left hand)

Check us out at www.shootlikeagirl.com

·
Registered
36 Posts
Before I start i have to say that I personally like the hoyt bows because I am a small lady and they seem to have bows that fit to me better. Its just a personal opinion I have.
I agree with the above post about taking her and letting her try a bunch of them. Although I am having a hard time trying the new Hoyt alphamax because the draw and weight that the shops carry do not fit someone small like me. I am a 24" draw and am petite, my first bow was the Hoyt Kobalt. This makes a great first bow because it it small and light. This one also has an adjustable draw length so if the draw is not right on it can be adjusted. I still have this bow but am now going to use it for mostly hunting. I shot a league with it and did fine though. I now have 2 hoyt Kateras and love this bow. The extra weight allows for a steadier shot. The z3 cams also pull nicer than the cam and a half on my Kobalt. Ok that is my 2 cents.

Good luck finding a bow for her!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just what im looking for

Before I start i have to say that I personally like the hoyt bows because I am a small lady and they seem to have bows that fit to me better. Its just a personal opinion I have.
I agree with the above post about taking her and letting her try a bunch of them. Although I am having a hard time trying the new Hoyt alphamax because the draw and weight that the shops carry do not fit someone small like me. I am a 24" draw and am petite, my first bow was the Hoyt Kobalt. This makes a great first bow because it it small and light. This one also has an adjustable draw length so if the draw is not right on it can be adjusted. I still have this bow but am now going to use it for mostly hunting. I shot a league with it and did fine though. I now have 2 hoyt Kateras and love this bow. The extra weight allows for a steadier shot. The z3 cams also pull nicer than the cam and a half on my Kobalt. Ok that is my 2 cents.

Good luck finding a bow for her!

thanks,this is what im looking for.she to is petite,and our shops around here dont carry much for a girl w/ a 24" draw.do you find that the short brace height of the katera effects you at all?as far as the z3 cams,I havent shot them yet,but I do like the cam 1/2 on my spot pro elite.Any of you girls from the pittsburgh area that could tell me if there are any good sport shops up there that would have a wide variety for her to shoot?its only a few hrs away.I liked alot of things about the alphas,but neither will go down to a 24" draw.
thanks for your input

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slg2

We will be at the IBO, 1st Leg of the Triple Crown in Bedford, Indiana 15 - 17 May 2009; Redstone Arsenal, AL on 23 May; and the ASA Limbsaver Shoot in London, KY 29-31 May. We are hoping to get out to August, GA on 25 April at the ASA Easton Shoot.
thank you SLG2
I will check into this

·
Registered
36 Posts

thanks,this is what im looking for.she to is petite,and our shops around here dont carry much for a girl w/ a 24" draw.do you find that the short brace height of the katera effects you at all?as far as the z3 cams,I havent shot them yet,but I do like the cam 1/2 on my spot pro elite.Any of you girls from the pittsburgh area that could tell me if there are any good sport shops up there that would have a wide variety for her to shoot?its only a few hrs away.I liked alot of things about the alphas,but neither will go down to a 24" draw.
thanks for your input

I personally think the Katera is the best bow out there right now. The smaller brace height doesnt bother me, but again I am small and its all about personal preference. So i know how you feel with the shops not carrying the bows in her draw. What I would do if I were you is to research a few of the bows you think she would like and talk to people and get a few you think may fit her well. After you decide on this contact your local bow shop. You can ask them to get a few in her draw and poundage for her to try. Make sure there is no obligation to buy the bows when doing this.
I am doing this to try the alphamax and compare the cams to my Katera z3. They probably wont do this for 10 different bows but Im sure they could get 2 or 3 in. You could also do this at a few different shops if you have more than a couple bows, just call around.

Another option would be to close your eyes and pick one for her and buy it on here cheap and hope for the best. Thats how I got to try the Katera. I didnt think about asking the bow shop so I just bought a used one and love it. This may be risky because she would have never tried it and may hate the bow...but she could also love it. Or you could do both, have her try a few at your shops and than buy it used on here to make sure she likes it. :)

Hope this helps! Good luck

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I want to get my honey a bow so she can shoot w/ me.I think I want to get her something she can shoot inside with,so prabably dont want camo.i think shes a 24" ??.My real problem is I know absalutely nothing about the girls bows.Can some of you girls tell me what you like and why?

thks
Since you live in Maryland, I would suggest planning a trip with your lady to Lancaster Archery located at 2195 Old Philadelphia Pike Lancaster, PA. It’s an easy 2 hour drive and they have an awesome selection of bows and equipment in a one stop shop for target, hunting, or just the recreational archer. She’ll be able to try out many different bows in their indoor ranges and the trained technical staff is more than capable to help with any questions she may have without making her feel intimidated. Best of luck! :smile:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can say this....I started out with a "woman's" bow for me...one that is labeled for youth or women. First I had the Parker Sidekick....wasn't enough challenge, so I sort of went parallel with the Diamond Razor Edge...both are small bows but the Edge offered more of a powerful feel....still not enough "umph" for me and I am a big time girlie girl...you can ask my hubby...BUT, I felt like I was holding and shooting a "kids bow" with both of those. I ended up with my Bowtech Admiral and LOOOOOVE it! You can get them customized too and mine is the all black with red and black strings and red cams....and I put a black with red center stabilizer on it...and black and red sling. It's not "girlie" but it's feminine enough, the poundage on an Admiral is offered in 40lb limbs which I needed because I'm at 34# right now....and it's light weight enough for me to hold when aiming for over a minute or two...perfect. It shoots like a dream and you feel like you are shooting a grown up bow!...lol. It can be done with black and silver cams, all black w/black cams (hubby is going to get one for target shooting..lol), and black with camo limbs and silver/black/ or red cams....just a number of combos she could pick from. It does cost a little more to get it custom ordered but actually the custom ones with lower poundage limbs seem to come faster than the others.

I hope you find the perfect bow for her. If she's squeemish about it right now though....then, the Razor's Edge would be a great bow and you can order that one with a black riser and pink camo limbs...and it's a good trainer bow...goes from 20 to 60 pounds without having to change out limbs and is a little lighter weight to hold and smaller in size than the Admiral.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you live in Maryland, I would suggest planning a trip with your lady to Lancaster Archery located at 2195 Old Philadelphia Pike Lancaster, PA. It’s an easy 2 hour drive and they have an awesome selection of bows and equipment in a one stop shop for target, hunting, or just the recreational archer. She’ll be able to try out many different bows in their indoor ranges and the trained technical staff is more than capable to help with any questions she may have without making her feel intimidated. Best of luck!
never even thought about Lancaster.I didnt realize they had a range,and would allow guest to shoot different set ups.That will make a good day trip.Thankyou :set1_applaud:

·
Registered
43 Posts
diamond razor edge

I just got back into archery after 8 years. My husband got me a diamond razor edge, I really like it, Next year I'll move up to a better bow, but for just starting back it's a good bow. I have crohn's so I'm not very strong and can't pull back much

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
he pimped it out for me, we got a custom made grip and he made me a blue and black string,and my arrows have blue and black feathers, I have to look good, LOL

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm loving my Alpine Sienna, but what fits one will not always be the best fit for another. Definitely have her shoot as many as possible and pick the one that is most comfortable to her. It will save you $$$ in the long run.

Things to avoid:
1. Watch out for bows that don't have a solid back wall. If you can draw it to break over - then draw it a bit more - she will NEVER get accurate with it as it will never anchor consistantly.
2. Too much hand shock - If it explodes in her hand everytime it goes off, she won't be able to control it.
3. DL too long or Draw weight too heavy - if the bow is not comfortable for her too shoot, she will give up. Definitely go get her measured for DL at a pro shop. Don't guesstimate it.

A note about shorter brace height. A little shorter brace height is not an issue with a short draw like a 24" draw verses it is very important with a 30" draw. A 6"-7" brace height will work just fine for her.

Good luck and glad you are getting her involved. I hope she becomes a total addict!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts