Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot my first Vegas round and really enjoyed it...so much that I want to get a target bow. I have a chance to buy a hoyt pro comp elite but the dl is 1\2" too long for me... question is can you take 1\2 out by twisting strings and cables or will that cause problems

·
Banned
6,254 Posts
The correct answer is no. If it's not adjustable into your drawlength range, don't buy it. You probably can get the DL close by putting massive twists in the string/cables, but that'll basically ruin the main string. Also, short-stringing a bow which is already at it's shortest DL setting can cause problems like significantly lowering the letoff. You can imagine what shooting a 60lb bow with 50% letoff for 60 arrows would be like :).

Also, the idea of changing out the modules is a 50/50 chance of costing as much if not more than the purchase price of the bow, assuming you can even find mods for a bow that old....

To summarize: pass on it and try to find another one already in your DL....

Lee

·
Socket Man
23,749 Posts
Hoyts have adjustible draw length ranges but they are smaller and if you are on the bubble then you have to get a different cam and strings.

If you have no adjustment left and need the next smaller or larger draw length settings don't get the bow and just get a bow with your correct window of draw lengths.

Now, here is something important. If you have never been fitted to a bow with correct shooting form you may be trying to pick a bow before you are ready, draw length can change by a inch or so depending on what you are doing wrong in your shooting form.

Secondly the module setting of a bow has nothing to do with its actual draw length it is giving to you, many companies draw lengths are way longer than the mod you are in. So draw back your old bow and have someone put a mark on the shaft even with the throat of the grip and then draw the new bow and compare. adding 1.75 to that length will tell you your draw length of the old bow.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Those are Spiral x cams and have no adjustment other than manipulating string cable lengths. The draw stop adjusts let off, 65-60-55%..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts