Archery Talk Forum banner

Need some help

632 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  b0w_bender
Ok so im having consistency problems again im starting to think its the short bow. I was talking to my shop tech the other day and he thinks I should go to a longer bow and im starting to agree. I mean im really struggling since I got the 65% leftoff mods for reason.

Anyhow I have a Bowtech Pro40 which is what I use to shoot. I quit shooting it cause the cam was messed up but now I have it fixed so im wonder if I moved the draw stop to a half inch shorter then my actual draw will this help me in getting a smooth release?

My tech said that he use to do that with higher letoff bows and it really worked well the reason I ask is because im not sure if I can drop the Bowtechs letoff. What would you guys suggest? Do you think the shorter bow is what's giving me all the trouble? My form is good so its getting really frustrating.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,471 Posts
What I know about Bowtech and 41 cents won't mail a letter, but if you can move the stop a half inch without having to buy a bunch of parts and strings or cables, why not just move it and see? I understand the need for more holding weight with fingers. Just don't shorten yourself up to where you're pulling out of line.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Get a longer ATA bow, I'd say minimum 40". Perhaps an Ovation, or older Rival or Conquest Pro. And 65% letoff.

Neither of these bows will cost you near as much as anything new(that may not work for you)

Either of the bows listed are proven target/finger bows.

my .02

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on it I really thought I could pull it off with the bow but I was wrong. I use to shoot pretty good with it ive taken 3 deer with it and a couple squirrels I just need something more consistent. I was going to ask about the Mathews bows ive always liked them just have never seen any in real life. Im going to prowl the AT Classifieds if anyone knows where I can get a used Mathews or something else thats long please give me a holler.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
It sounds like ur in the market for a new hunting bow. If you are ,you should try the 09 Bowtech Sentinel. It is by far one of the best finger bows I have ever shot and it's only 36 3/4 " ATA. I strongly feel that a long ata is not the "absolute" factor in making a great finger bow. The Sentinel has many great assets built into it's technology such as center trac cams, adjustable draw length mods, parallel limbs, roller guard, great balance, holds the pin on the x and is dead in the hand after the shot. Did I say I like it!!!!:shade: I don't want to sound like a Bowtech commerical but this bow just amazes me on how well it allows me to shoot.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you used to shoot good with it, what did you change?
I asked about your DL because I was wondering if you had a problem with finger-pinch, do you?
No finger pinch here only thing ive changed is the letoff from 75 down to 65% maybe thats all it is. The reason I changed was because I was having problems with my release. Last summer I didnt have any problems with it I shot 3-D pretty well for the most part.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the shop today we were going through the Hoyt line and the shop owner showed me a Katera XL man what a sweet bow! Anyone tried these yet? I was also checking out the Seven 37 but they told me it maybe a little short. I was also thinking about the Protec but not sure itel be awhile before I buy one if I do but I figured id try to get some feedback.

bowjunkie I didnt see the Sentinel today but will keep my eyes open thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
I am currently shooting a 07 Vectric XL with Z3 cams the same as a 08 katera XL. I just love this bow. It's smooth and has good speed. I shoot it with two fingers under as with all my bows. If I were to buy a new bow for hunting it would be the Katera XL. IMO. dd

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just going through the 09 Hoyt Product Guide and noticed the Montega. It says its built for finger shooters and had a 9 inch brace height. Sounds like what im looking for do any of you shoot this bow? I really like the way it looks and the Accu Wheels seem like it would make it even nicer to shoot.

· Registered
5,142 Posts
Martin Scepter

Martin Scepter baby!
it's designed for finger shooters with a 43" axle to axle
There is no PLASTIC crap in the limb mounts and they shoot fantastic. I used to have a Protec but one of the little plastic rockers under the limbs broke. After 8 months and through a significant amount of red tape and incompetence I finally got the replacement part. Happy to say that ebay is a little richer after helping me unload it. PSE has given up on the finger shooter, The Mathews Conquest has some ATA length but IMO that 2 foot riser looks a little goofy. Martin also lets you order parts factory direct. So.. now I'm a happy Martin shooter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.