Archery Talk Forum banner

Need some traditional help plz

299 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  MNHOYT
I recently bought a Tennessee Traditions recurve that is 63 lbs @28 inches.

My question is, every time I shoot the string goes all the way forward and hits my left hand. Frickin hurts too. I tried different arrow weights and nothing seemed to help. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any info. :darkbeer:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brace height can be changed how? Do I just twist the string a couple of times? Thanks

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
brace height can be changed how? Do I just twist the string a couple of times? Thanks
:thumbs_up

You'll also be able to find the "sweet spot".

· Embrace The Suck!
1,954 Posts
Find out what brace height your bow is supposed to have. On a recurve, you'll measure from the string to the throat of the grip (where the web of your thumb rides) to get brace height. If you've got a new string, you may have to adjust MANY times as the string will stretch.

Check out www.tradgang.com for a lot of good info.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes a few twists should help. I have found that between 7 and 7.75 is a good spot for my takedown. Also, the nock should ride about 1/4 to 1/2 above the rest. One of these two adjustments should correct the contact. Be sure and measure on a arrow, or write down the correct brace height for future reference.

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Also sounds like you might be gripping in too deep. Try and rotate your hand with a little more pressure on your thumb rather than in the fork of your hand. Your string is possibly too long also. If your string is made from B-50 polyester bowstring material, it could easily have stretched to the point of being too long.

· Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great help guys. :darkbeer: gotta love AT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.