Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing my first euro hog mount. It looks really nice. I’ve filled the tusks with epoxy to keep them strong.

But I’m wondering if there is something I can spray on the entire head to keep it from flaking or chipping over time. Is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Matte finish clear gloss... takes the "dry as a bone" look off. Seals nicely.
You should post this in the taxidermy section, though... they might have much better ideas.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how did you clean the skull?
Simmered in hot water and Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent. Then also in hot water mixed with 40% peroxide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
It should not flake at all. The only way I could think of that it would, would be if you boiled it instead of simmered it far to long. Or used to much detergent.( I’ve never used laundry dertergant, so can say for sure) You can spray lightly with Kills . it helps even out the whitening, and maintains a flat natural appearance. Clear of any sort causes an unnatural appearance. If you do spray with clear, go very very lightly. Was thinking, if you have a dry , brittle, flaky appearance. You might try hitting it with a bit of sand paper. Or wire brush maybe.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should not flake at all. The only way I could think of that it would, would be if you boiled it instead of simmered it far to long. Or used to much detergent.( I’ve never used laundry dertergant, so can say for sure) You can spray lightly with Kills . it helps even out the whitening, and maintains a flat natural appearance. Clear of any sort causes an unnatural appearance. If you do spray with clear, go very very lightly. Was thinking, if you have a dry , brittle, flaky appearance. You might try hitting it with a bit of sand paper. Or wire brush maybe.
Good suggestions. Thank you!

·
I like elk!
17,821 Posts
Mop and Glow

One coat just seals the skull, makes it so dust won’t stick...and maintains a natural appearance.
Two coats and the skull will have a bit of a shine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
i agree it shouldnt flake. you could also paint it in while elmers glue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seal with clear matte finish if you want - that's what my taxidermy buddy does. I have done several without that step and so far, so good. All kept indoors though so that makes a difference I'm sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts