Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This years project for my Church Youth Archery Group is making stick bows and strings. (The bows are u-finish kits from Rudderbows) Each kid will make their own bow and finish it to their desire and it is THEIR bow.

Seeing the "use a stringer" thread reminded me that I need about a dozen bow stringers (one for each bow/kid) I don't ever want to even let them see any other way of doing it!!!

So, anybody know how I can make some stringers for less than the cost of purchasing? I'm pretty much funding the program out of my pocket, and I'd rather buy a few more targets and stands with the money, if I can.

Also, it would be especially cool if I can have the kids make their own stringers.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
limb style vs tip style

I wonder if anyone has figured out how to make one the limb style stringers?
When I bought my stringer they were sold out of this type so I ended up with a tip style. They would be very easy to make if you could find the right kind a rubber piece, and they are much easier to use.-Steve

· Registered
76,880 Posts
You can carefully use surgical tubing, an eraser (geletin looking ones), or you might be able to find those triangular ones from someplace like FS or three rivers.. because I know of others who have replaced damaged ones with them before.

Aloha... :cool: :beer:

· Registered
314 Posts
I have seen somewhere that somebody made a limb type buffer with the end off a rubber bungie. Basically they cut the bungie off, take the hook thing off and pass the string through it, and sand it flat.

· Registered
38,292 Posts
Well, another thing to do is use a different stringing method, using a loop stringer. The only caveat being that this method works more easily if the bow has a locator grip.

Here is an illustration from the free FITA coaching manual:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.