Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In two days time, I lost both pieces of property I was going to hunt this year. What's the most upsetting part, is that's its 11 days till opening day. My situation is proof that its all about money. So, to bowhunt this year, I have to hunt public land. I worked hard this year trying to get access to private property. The problem with the public land, is that I have no clue where the the deer bed or where they travel at. The public places to hunt here in Wisconsin are so heavily hunted. The deer are running scared from the day their born. Bucks normally don't live past 2 seasons. The older bucks are so far into the thickets, that you couldn't fling an arrow if you wanted to. The thing that really blows, is that I'm a disabled veteran who can't walk long distances. Thanks for letting me vent guys. Have a successful season this year and make sure you use a safety harness when using a tree stand.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before long, it will only be a rich man's sport.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
It's been a rich man's sport in other countries for 1000+ years. Sad, isn't it?

I hunt a couple patches of private land here. And a lot of public. After hitting the public land enough you'll learn their habits. I find it easier and more effective to still hunt those areas so I'm not pinned down in an unproductive area. And any whitetail taken while still hunting is a freakin' challenge and worthy of being called a trophy. As hunters, we have to be able to adapt and overcome. That's what seperates good hunters from bad hunters.

·
Team 4 Play
17,306 Posts
This would be an ideal time for you to look at the DNR's website and call some of the crop damage farms in your area. You should have absolutely no problem finding a place to hunt. I know it isn't the same as private propert but honestly I saw more deer on public land last year than the 80 private acres I'm allowed to bowhunt. Guess where I will spend most of my time this year as well?
In two days time, I lost both pieces of property I was going to hunt this year. What's the most upsetting part, is that's its 11 days till opening day. My situation is proof that its all about money. So, to bowhunt this year, I have to hunt public land. I worked hard this year trying to get access to private property. The problem with the public land, is that I have no clue where the the deer bed or where they travel at. The public places to hunt here in Wisconsin are so heavily hunted. The deer are running scared from the day their born. Bucks normally don't live past 2 seasons. The older bucks are so far into the thickets, that you couldn't fling an arrow if you wanted to. The thing that really blows, is that I'm a disabled veteran who can't walk long distances. Thanks for letting me vent guys. Have a successful season this year and make sure you use a safety harness when using a tree stand.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Already rich mans sport. It's 10 a acre go get a 2500 place to hunt noy cheep

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check out backyard Bow Pro, I joined and went from 0 land to over 1400 acres of farm land to hunt by myself in 7 weeks. I'm in NC and NOBODY lets you hunt the woods, all of it is leased out or the family hunts it. I am not from NC and had super hard time finding places to even take my boys fishing in a pond much less a place to deer hunt. Louisiana was so different. Anyway, check them out, good guy's and you will be helping farmers and feed the hungry at the same time getting free land to hunt.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I still don't have the money to give them for the background check. Then you have to wait for them to place you with property owners. By the time I did that and scouted, the season would almost be over. Besides, I need the deer meat to feed my family and I'm a broke disabled veteran with limited income.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are there any military bases near you? Here in Maryland, active military have first shot at tags on the bases, but I've heard that disabled vets can go to the top of the list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
they don't place you with property, you go get property. I sent out emails and had to quit so many people responded so fast. I have 3 guys with me now and 7 different farms all right within 30-40 minutes from my house. PM me and I can show you how to do it and where to look. I will do it for you if you join up with them. I helped out another guy close to me get a couple spots and I gave away 3 other farms myself, it's a no brainer. Heck, I never made a phone call or knocked on a door (not saying you won't have to, but I didn't). For someone in your predicament, they would jump all over you coming on their land.
Then I can come hunt up your way one year and you can come down here!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any military bases near you? Here in Maryland, active military have first shot at tags on the bases, but I've heard that disabled vets can go to the top of the list.
Ft. Mccoy is about 100 miles each way from my house.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they don't place you with property, you go get property. I sent out emails and had to quit so many people responded so fast. I have 3 guys with me now and 7 different farms all right within 30-40 minutes from my house. PM me and I can show you how to do it and where to look. I will do it for you if you join up with them. I helped out another guy close to me get a couple spots and I gave away 3 other farms myself, it's a no brainer. Heck, I never made a phone call or knocked on a door (not saying you won't have to, but I didn't). For someone in your predicament, they would jump all over you coming on their land.
Then I can come hunt up your way one year and you can come down here!
That would be great if I had the money for the membership. I have 3 teenagers to support and I just spent $500 on school supplies/clothes. My wife is unable to work and I live on a VA disability.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
I've lost several pieces of property to a higher bidder than me. Currently I hunt on my inlaws property and there's about 400 acres here and there's only 1 other guy that hunts it. He comes down every now and then but basically I have it all to myself. Land is getting harder and harder to get access to to hunt. I've hunted public land around me with not much success.

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Plus, my father in law is a hard ass and won't even let me bring a friend on the property to hunt. I have restrictions on how many stands I can have, NO foodplots of any kind and I have to sneak a mineral block back there and hide it pretty well. He walks back there all the time but it doesn't seem to bother the deer

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sure hate losing property this late in the year and so close to archery season.

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if I can physically walk the long distances on the public land. I'm a disabled veteran who can't find some private property to bowhunt, that isn't right. I approached 3 different farmers and told them my situation. I also sent out 4 letters with my information. I received no responses from anyone. Makes me think why do I even try. Bowhunting is a pain in my butt. Going through the rituals every morning to hope a deer crosses my path, isn't worth it to me anymore. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm in the process of selling some of my gear.

·
bowonlywhitetails
16,757 Posts
For a guy with a screen name bowhuntingforever, you sure don't seem to truly love it. It's probably best that you do quit if you are not willing to put in the time to scout. If you are willing to work at it, public hunting land can be fantastic often can be better than private, just can't be too proud to hunt it. Sorry to sound like a jerk, just seems like you are feeling sorry for yourself and want a pity party. Good luck, if you do hunt this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts