Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I go into the local sportshop to get a half-doz arrows cut off. I bought a sight, a dozen arrows, some inserts, glue and broadhead blades from this place in the last 2 weeks. This guy has the gall to charge me $3 to cut off my stinkin' arrows! Now, I know alot of pro-shops frequent this web-site and I hope you would cut them off as a common courtesty. I am now in the market for an arrow saw. I'd rather spend a hundred bucks on a saw than go back there again! Sorry for ranting, I'll go stand in the corner now..:embara:

·
74,535 Posts
Your right

They should have cut them for free.:wink:

·
Registered
524 Posts
That’s totally common at all the places I’ve seen. You don’t buy the arrows from them they really don’t want to cut them even for a fee. But I can’t blame them. Your coming to their business with goods you purchased from one of their competitors. Kind of like rubbing it in their face no?

·
Registered
137 Posts
you would think he would do it for free, but you got to remember he is in it for the money, just my 2 cents, sounds like every one is venting today:wink: just sit back have a :darkbeer: and relax:wink:

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Right on! He should have done it for free.

And, given the business I have already done with the following, they should make their next service to me free as well:

1. Pediatrician
2. Orthodontist
3. Electrician
4. Banker (especially the loan officer)
5. Wal-Mart
6. The local gas stations
7. My attorney
8. My ex-wife's attorney (hehehehehe)
9. My auto insurance company

Seriously. It was $3. Don't shop owners deserve a living wage?

His time, overhead, labor, and equipment weren't free.

Just my thoughts:)

Now let's chill had have a Friday afternoon :darkbeer:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Harley Rider said:
That’s totally common at all the places I’ve seen. You don’t buy the arrows from them they really don’t want to cut them even for a fee. But I can’t blame them. Your coming to their business with goods you purchased from one of their competitors. Kind of like rubbing it in their face no?

Sounds like he went back to the same place from which he bought them in the first place, not a competitor.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
He clearly stated that he bought a dozen from the shop and took 6 back to have them cut. I am wondering why they didn't cut them when he bought them. They should have done that upon purchasing them:confused:

Mark

·
Registered
801 Posts
You also have to look at it this way. That guy, is trying to run a business, and feed his family. It costs him money everytime he turns that saw on. You figure he charged you $.50 per arrow. I am sure you can find that in the ashtray of your truck. I am not trying to put you down, but I'm just trying to give you that guys perspective.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
bowhunter brian said:
Now, I know alot of pro-shops frequent this web-site and I hope you would cut them off as a common courtesty.

Should the pro shops put new strings on as a common courtesy too? How about a new rest or sights? Why would you expect it to be done for free?

I can't believe you're beating a shop down for charging you .50 an arrow to; set up the saw to your cut length, spin your arrows against the blade and hand them back to you. That also includes wear and tear on his blade as well as his saw motor and electricity. And none of the above is free to the shop owner! When you factor in all of his overhead and the above mentioned hidden costs, he probably made a whole .75 cents for his effort.

What do you do for a living? Whatever it is, I bet it isn't done for free, is it? My employer bills my time at between $125 to $200 per hour. That's how he keeps his doors open. Why should any business do anything for free? And why do so many people expect them to do it for free? Pay the price! That will help to ensure that your local shop will be there the next time you need a new whatever for your bow!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
fn257 said:
He clearly stated that he bought a dozen from the shop and took 6 back to have them cut. I am wondering why they didn't cut them when he bought them. They should have done that upon purchasing them:confused:
Mark
I didn't read it that way. It wasn't and still isn't clear to me that he bought them from this shop. And it doesn't matter anyways!

I can buy arrows 3 different ways from the only shop in town.

1. Full length bare shaft arrows.

2. Bare shafts cut to length.

3. Cut and fletched shafts with inserts installed.

And guess what? They are all priced accordingly. If I buy a half dz they cost more than a dozen too (per arrow). And that's just one of the reasons that this shop has been here for over 16 years and is still owned an operated by the same guy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Okay, let me rephrase all this for you. Yes, I bought the arrows from this place. The guy working there is not the owner, he is the dept. mgr. He gets a salary! This was not a pro shop. I bought a doz. arrows (6 for me and 6 for a buddy) and had them all cut to my length at time of sale. I dropped around $300 in this place over the past 2 weeks. You can list all the occupations you want, I am not one of them. I provide free services every day and I am proud to do so. I am an insurance agent so I stand behind my clients and provide services to them every day. Yes, I get a commission on each and every one of them that pays a premium. But, when they come in to make a change or ask questions, do I charge them? NO! I live by the Golden Rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Well, I'm going to do unto him! I'm going to buy the saw and if someone wants arrow cut, I'LL DO IT FOR FREE!!! And no, $3 is not going to break me, although the $3 he charged me to cut the arrows will have a serious impact on the archery business in this place! By the way, after inspecting the 30 second job he did, I noticed that he was in such a hurry that he screwed up the end of one of the shafts! OKAY, I'm going back to my corner again..

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree, but then again

Cutting the arrows should have, and would have (at least in SW PA included) or in my small corner here at least. The pro shop owners know that there are bargain hunters (myself included :mad: ) looking to save a few bucks here and there. Arrows ordered almost from anywhere are ordered cut to length. I would argue that the shop owner will probably end up losing money in the long run, now this guy will end up buying a arrow saw, then he will happen to notice that raw shafts are cheaper on ebay or other sites (this one included). I understand that the pro shops need to earn enough to keep the lights on and be worth while. However, nickel and diming a customer to cut off the shafts in another thing entirely. You do not have to make all of your profit from one customer. Customer service is everything and if customers feel they are being gouged, they will turn elsewhere. Who knows what will happen when there is no pro shop to turn too :sad:

Ok, just read that it was not a pro shop, still all above applies, especially at a BIG BOX mechandiser (Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, ETC...) CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Hix said:
Cutting the arrows should have, and would have (at least in SW PA included) or in my small corner here at least. The pro shop owners know that there are bargain hunters (myself included :mad: ) looking to save a few bucks here and there. Arrows ordered almost from anywhere are ordered cut to length. I would argue that the shop owner will probably end up losing money in the long run, now this guy will end up buying a arrow saw, then he will happen to notice that raw shafts are cheaper on ebay or other sites (this one included). I understand that the pro shops need to earn enough to keep the lights on and be worth while. However, nickel and diming a customer to cut off the shafts in another thing entirely. You do not have to make all of your profit from one customer. Customer service is everything and if customers feel they are being gouged, they will turn elsewhere. Who knows what will happen when there is no pro shop to turn too :sad:

Ok, just read that it was not a pro shop, still all above applies, especially at a BIG BOX mechandiser (Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro Shop, ETC...) CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
$3. That is all we are talking about. The arrows had been cut to length once already. Were they inserted too? Did the guy have to remove and then reinstall the inserts? Is the price for cutting arrows clearly posted?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the crazy thing! I bought a dozen new inserts while he was cutting the arrows. I installed the old inserts and bought new ones along with some field tips to use with the re-cut shafts. The inserts were $4.95/doz. I could have bought them from a buddy of mine for $.20 apiece ($2.40/doz), but I figured if this place was going to cut the arrows for me I would express my gratitude by buying a couple of "over-priced" items from him! Ain't gonna happen again. By the way Recordkeeper, you did list my profession and I 'll bet your auto insurance carrier has done more for you (for free) than you know. And if not, you need to find a new one!:wink:

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I personally don't feel you should have been charged to cut down arrows you bought from the same place. That $3.00 they just made cost them a lot more by loosing a customer.

I don't charge any of my friends for refletching, cutting down arrows, or serving in a peep. I don't think pro shops realize how many customers and sales they loose by trying to stay in business nickle and diming people like some of them do.

I'll never forget the time I bought some arrows from a local shop.....and I bought glue in target points for the shafts I bought. After installing the points....they didn't fly good, too light....so I went back to the shop to get the inserts for the shafts I had just bought...so I could try heavier field points....and I was charged for them! Inserts come free with the arrows.....I paid full price for the arrows and didn't get a discount on the target points either! So....that shop owner got my $3-$4 bucks....and lost a considerable amount of my business since then.

I can see a shop charging a guy who walks in off the street and wants some walmart arrows cut down or whatever....but shops that charge a regular customer who does a lot of business with them end up shooting themselves in the foot when they start charging for every little thing they do. Those same type of shop owners are the exact reason I have learned to do most everything myself. In the past couple years I have learned to do just about everything I used to rely on a shop to do, and it's more rewarding, and I do a better job.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
bowhunter brian said:
That's the crazy thing! I bought a dozen new inserts while he was cutting the arrows. I installed the old inserts and bought new ones along with some field tips to use with the re-cut shafts. The inserts were $4.95/doz. I could have bought them from a buddy of mine for $.20 apiece ($2.40/doz), but I figured if this place was going to cut the arrows for me I would express my gratitude by buying a couple of "over-priced" items from him! Ain't gonna happen again. By the way Recordkeeper, you did list my profession and I 'll bet your auto insurance carrier has done more for you (for free) than you know. And if not, you need to find a new one!:wink:
Actually I am happy with my auto insurance carrier. And in all probability, I would have cut your arrows for free as well.

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
buckfeverben said:
I personally don't feel you should have been charged to cut down arrows you bought from the same place. That $3.00 they just made cost them a lot more by loosing a customer.

I don't charge any of my friends for refletching, cutting down arrows, or serving in a peep. I don't think pro shops realize how many customers and sales they loose by trying to stay in business nickle and diming people like some of them do.

I'll never forget the time I bought some arrows from a local shop.....and I bought glue in target points for the shafts I bought. After installing the points....they didn't fly good, too light....so I went back to the shop to get the inserts for the shafts I had just bought...so I could try heavier field points....and I was charged for them! Inserts come free with the arrows.....I paid full price for the arrows and didn't get a discount on the target points either! So....that shop owner got my $3-$4 bucks....and lost a considerable amount of my business since then.

I can see a shop charging a guy who walks in off the street and wants some walmart arrows cut down or whatever....but shops that charge a regular customer who does a lot of business with them end up shooting themselves in the foot when they start charging for every little thing they do. Those same type of shop owners are the exact reason I have learned to do most everything myself. In the past couple years I have learned to do just about everything I used to rely on a shop to do, and it's more rewarding, and I do a better job.
Now Ben, surely you wouldn't expect any shop to refletch arrows for free?:eek:

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's only money

Recordkeeper said:
$3. That is all we are talking about. The arrows had been cut to length once already. Were they inserted too? Did the guy have to remove and then reinstall the inserts? Is the price for cutting arrows clearly posted?
I understand that it's only 3 bucks. But we are talking about cutting 6 arrows, set the length turn the switch, zoom they are cut. But you are right, if they were cut and inserted the first time, and returned later for another cut I agree on a service charge, especially during this time of year when everyone is bringing in their bows for new strings and such. I actually seen a guy the other day bring in old Gamegetter aluminum arrows to be refletched. The kicker is that the proshop only charges like $1.50 an arrow to fletch. These things had partially ripped fletchings and homestyle superglue repair on them. Not going to make a living wage with that! I can see maybe a half dozen or so at a time, but this guy had to have two dozen :eek: . Busy work for the pro shop.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What a joke. All this for $3. They probably have a set fee for cutting arrows to length and since "The guy working there is not the owner, he is the dept. mgr. He gets a salary!" he knows this and that's store policy and he works there and the store pays his salary so he's going to do what he's been instructed to do not what some cheap customer wants him to do. Sounds like he's a good employee and you're a bad customer. One of those that's complainin' about anything that doesn't sit perfect with his thoughts. Could care less what the store policy is. Just so it works out best for him. One reason why so many little shops don't make it. They do too many things for free. If they charged for everything they did and gave good service and the customers they had had any business sense, they'd understand and pay the prices and have the small business maybe turn into a big business that could give better prices on their big ticket items because they did more volume and we'd all win. Ok now rip me apart cause it isn't what you want to hear.

***EDITED: No text ma$k!ng. Byron (moderator)***

1 - 20 of 54 Posts