Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a buddy out hunting today and videoed the hunt. I know what my opinion is on this shot (you can see the arrow fletching circled in red). Let me know what you think?? Is this a dead turkey or is it a turkey that is still alive. Details of the shot are 8 yard shot with a Rage two blade, 56lb Mathews Switchback with Easton Axis FMJ 400's with 4" fletchings. There was a good splash of blood at the spot of the shot and there was blood on the arrow but it appeared to be fleshy breast type blood.

I can also tell you that whatever your guess might be, we trailed the bird one hour later and got within 20 yds of him before he jumped up and ran 50 yds or so (in the timber). I am pretty sure he laid back down. After that we backed out and will try to find him in the morning.

The angle of the shot was basically the Tom was facing us in the blind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Was the hunter to the left or right of the camera?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Man! Thats a hard call!! To me that bird outta been dead!! Had to been a pretty hard angle to miss some goodies!! I'm gonna say that bird is dead ! If I say it's so it's so!!!!!:D:D:D:D Arrows can do funny things sometimes, even in a 25# critter!! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I am far from an expert on the subject as I have never killed a turkey with my bow, but it does look pretty low to me.

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shooter is to the right of the camera

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
.....The angle of the shot was basically the Tom was facing us in the blind........
It doesn't take much of an angle to hit nothing but breast meat. With a bird facing you, aim for the top of the beard.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Big! I know you from a forum or two and I know you have probably killed more of these guys than most of us! So what do YOU think??!!

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big! I know you from a forum or two and I know you have probably killed more of these guys than most of us! So what do YOU think??!!

My opinion on this shot is that it was a touch low but with a 2" cut broadhead I think it is more likely than not that the bird was mortally wounded. It obviously was hurt pretty bad if it let us get within 20 yds of it on the ground when we went looking for it. I am hoping it will give in to his wounds during the night only about 50 yds from where we last saw him. The good news is that he ran into a finger that sticks out between two fields and he ran away from the main part of timber and farther out into the finger. I think we will find him but I think we will have to put another arrow in him.

·
Registered
480 Posts
arrow does look low from what i know about it, that close i would say killed though, after trackin and jumpin i think he will for sure be dead just a wonder of how far he made it before he keeled over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have shoot several turkeys with bow including one yesterday morning. In my opinion that looks low. My % have went way up since I have started shooting them going away or strong quartering angles. Also the birds that seem to die in a hurry seem to leave a lot of blood on arrows or stay in bird. Hope you are successful in finding bird, they are tricky sometimes good luck.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Check out the shot placement sticky at the first of this section. Looks low to me, but birds are easy to kill, they just don't leave much of a blood trail. I bet you find it if you are dilligent in looking tomorrow.

Good Luck.

Aim High. Think wing butt, spine etc.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You're shooting downward so my guess is that the shot was low. He may be dead, but a higher shot would have anchored him.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Pretty low is right but he is dead for sure. You can't put a 2" hole in a bird without killing him its really just a matter of if you can find him.

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
Pretty low is right but he is dead for sure. You can't put a 2" hole in a bird without killing him its really just a matter of if you can find him.
amen! good luck finding him though, he couldnt have gone TOO far with a 2" hole

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, thanks to all that responded. We went out first thing this morning and found the bird. A bobcat had a minor snack off the birds back but we recovered him about 70 yds from where we bumped him last night. After rechecking everything last night I noticed that one of the Rage blades was severely bent and chipped. I am pretty sure what happened is he hit the breast bone in the thickest spot and it deflected the arrow to the right. The cut was big enough to cause a mortal wound and the bird died shortly after. It was a wise thing for us to wait to be able to get the bird. I have learned from experience that if you rush after a bird (a lot like a deer) you will not find him. The meat was a loss but the bird is recovered. We were both happy campers. 9.5" beard 23lbs 1"spurs.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im glad to see you recovered the bird but as far as shot placement is concered Id say it was a little low and right. At 8yds id be shooting for that big red, white, n blue target on top of his neck, no tracking required

1 - 20 of 34 Posts