Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my wife is kinda small (4'9" and 110 lbs) and she uses a PSE Deer Hunter set @ 40# with a DL of 25". Her arrows are Gold Tips 3555 cut at 24" with Blazer vanes. She has been practicing 3 months with Thunderheads 100 grains and is destroying the Block's vitals at 40 meters away. I'm taking her to Chile in 5 weeks cause she wants a fallow deer & a mouflon ram, but I've been reading some articles saying that the best BH for a low poundage bow are the "cut on contact" type (they mentioned Magnus Stingers).
I really don't want to do any major change in her rig, but don't want the animal to suffer due to not good penetration.

So please guys, fire away your cannons (full of advice)

Thanks
Robert J

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was using basically the same bow and killed many deer with complete pass throughs on the majority of them using thunderhead 100's. I would think that as long as she doesn't slam it right into the shoulder bone she should be fine.

Phil

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Cut on Contact

I would look strictly at a Cut on Contact design. It will do better with the light Lbs she is shooting. My 3 favorites is Simmons Razor sharks, Magnus Stingers and G5 Montec. also I like Weight to help penitration so go with 100 grain. Later junkie

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
magus stingers might work my friends son shot a deer with a 22 lb stacy bow with that kind of head the shot was very close out of a blind

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch, I have some brand new Stingers and will try them out this weekend. I'll buy a dead pig and hang it at the back yard (it will give me some idea on penetration at 40 yards), then I'll make her shoot some arrows with T-heads and some with Stingers.

Good hunt to all of you
Robert J

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
I watched a young man send an arrow through a big doe shooting 40 pounds, 23 inches, and tipped his gold tip off with a rocky mountain traditions head, they have a small diameter, 15/16, with a cut-on-contact tip, great little broadhead, I still shoot em

·
Registered
377 Posts
Something else you can try that worked great for my wife is to epoxy the shaft of the broadhead right into the shaft of most of the carbon arrows. It is an extremely light and fast setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts