Archery Talk Forum banner

Needing New Hunting Arrows

1135 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  John Hammond
Hi, I have been shooting an Easton axis 340 with a 100 grain broadhead. This has been around 420 grains total arrow weight. I am thinking about going from 65 to 70lbs of draw weight. Even if I don’t increase the draw weight, I’m going to go with a little heavier arrow for next year. I have included a couple different options I am considering. Shooting a mathews v3x 33 65 or 70lbs 28 inch draw. Which arrow setup looks best to you? Will be using sevr 1.5 heads. Just want some other opinions. Thanks!
Handwriting Tire Font Motor vehicle Truck
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,157 Posts
My draw is 28" but my hunting arrows are always cut 29" & I use a 125 gr head. I use TWO sizes of Aluminum shafts for hunting. 2216s mostly but 2219s if after critters bigger than whitetail size. I've used them out of 70#s several years & dropped down to 60#s & use the same shaft. It;s in GPI your looking for & you don't have to dicker around with FOC either. They will tune so much easier than any carbon, great tolerances (a Dz will all be the same). IF you can keep your arrow any place in a target, your biggest damage fear will be if you try to shoot groups & crease them. These shafts are tough & you will experience little of no bending (the big myth). I have a couple I have used on 5 animals more than once b/4 damaged. 3 several times. I shop around & have average price of under $60 a Dz less BH. That is the least of my worries. Idid the Carbon tour 2 years & was never satisfied. I did Arrow 5 animals with them, 4 Deer & 1 Elk. Anyway, IF you have access to some from "anyone" try them or Lancaster sells 1 shaft too. I use XX75 Gamegetters hunting & Platinum plus (1716s & 1913s-different ball game) for all targets (3D, Field, Target) Hogs are damn tough but I expect a pass thru into the ground with my arrows. I used a 1913 for Antelope & it weighed in at 405 grains total arrow weight. Worked great on my Doe goat & my son used a Carbon, same weight range for his buck.. Try them (a sample) you have nothing to lose but lots to gain. I use feathers and vanes on them, no problems.
Grass Terrestrial plant Plant Gas Pole

Attachments

· Registered
37 Posts
So coincidentally you're in the exact same position I'm in. I have a 2019 VXR 28 with a 29" draw, I just restrung my bow and increased my draw weight to 70lbs. I was shooting Axis 340 with lighted nock, aluminum insert, 3 blazer fletched with a 100 gr Exodus swept broadhead (425+/- gr). I've killed several deer (all pass throughs) with it so there's no nocking it but I'm wanting to increase my arrow weight which puts me on the 300 spine side of the chart as per Easton's calculation. I plan on moving to mechanical broadheads and the SEVR 1.5/2.0 won me over so since I plan on using those id like a little more arrow weight.

I'm debating going to the Easton FMJ or sticking with the AXIS

If I stick with the Axis it'll be a Axis 300 spine arrow with 50 grain insert or impact collar, lighted nock, 4 fletch (Bohning X/X3 vane or AAE MAX PM-2.0) vanes with 100grain SEVR 1.5/2.0. With all of that being said a lot of this setup depends on how my arrows fly and how accurate I can get them, and if things go normally then I'm sure something on this build will change. I think id be happy if my whitetail setup ends up being 475+/- grains.

I know I didn't give you a straight forward answer but I really don't think there is one, to me its whatever is most accurate for you and whatever you're most confident in. Good luck and keep us updated on how the long road ahead goes.

· Registered
Mathews V3X 33
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I’m really liking the 300 spine axis 50 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. Would end up somewhere around the 470 grain total arrow weight. I have been shooting axis arrows that weigh 420 grains. Do you all think I would lose much trajectory wise? I’m shopping 65lbs. Could go up to 70 if needed. I shoot a double pin sight for hunting and want to keep my first pin at 20 yards and second pin around 35 like it is now.

· Registered
37 Posts
So I’m really liking the 300 spine axis 50 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. Would end up somewhere around the 470 grain total arrow weight. I have been shooting axis arrows that weigh 420 grains. Do you all think I would lose much trajectory wise? I’m shopping 65lbs. Could go up to 70 if needed. I shoot a double pin sight for hunting and want to keep my first pin at 20 yards and second pin around 35 like it is now.

Yea I think that's a good arrow setup and ill probably run the same exact setup. I don't think you'll lose that much trajectory, don't get me wrong I think 50 grains added to an arrow will require you to sight your pins back in but I don't think it'll be a crazy difference. I wouldn't touch your draw weight until you see what the difference is on the pins, 65# draw was comfortable for me and I did notice a difference when I went to 70#... especially on a nice cold morning when I was cold and tense. I use a single pin HHA Tetra for my hunting setup, when hunting Ill leave my dial at 25yds and range land markers all around me. When I practice I leave my dial at 25yds and ill shoot it from 10yds - 30yds to know my arrow placement in case I cant adjust on the fly, but I'm not sure ill be able to do it as much with a heavier arrow.

· Registered
Mathews V3X 33
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
these setups. Think they will be pretty tough since the Spartans use a regular stainless steel insert and I have shot the axis a long time and they are tough. Just depends if I want a little more foc or not. What do you all think between these two?
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Writing

Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Wood

· Registered
Mathews V3X 33
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You should add what you’ll be hunting. For me, only hunting southeastern whitetails, those are all far too heavy. I’d get down to 380 or less.
I hunt whitetails in the Midwest. Some of our bucks can be pushing close to 300lbs on the hoof. Not looking to go crazy on weight. Trying to stay around 450. Good speed and decent weight.

· Premium Member
282 Posts
I’d roll with the 468grn option. That seems to be a sweet spot in my experience. Also, I like the fact that you can achieve 468 TAW while still using a 100grn head. 100grn heads seem to be the most popular/abundant so that’s a win in my book.

· Registered
5,244 Posts
Any of those will work. Whichever flies better. You could buy a few bareshafts from Lancaster, build them with standard HIT inserts, and use some Gold Tip Fact weights to adjust the insert weight, then use a 100 grain point/broadhead and a 125 grain point/broadhead to test them out and see what groups best at longer range.

Personally I didn't like the Spartans or Rampage shafts. They both weren't very durable and tended to crack at the nock end. Stick with Axis or try a Victory RIP TKO.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I have been shooting an Easton axis 340 with a 100 grain broadhead. This has been around 420 grains total arrow weight. I am thinking about going from 65 to 70lbs of draw weight. Even if I don’t increase the draw weight, I’m going to go with a little heavier arrow for next year. I have included a couple different options I am considering. Shooting a mathews v3x 33 65 or 70lbs 28 inch draw. Which arrow setup looks best to you? Will be using sevr 1.5 heads. Just want some other opinions. Thanks!
View attachment 7747280
I like the victory rip. Great arrow for any application

1 - 13 of 13 Posts