Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a target shooter with my sights set on hunting. I really would like to get my wife to participate in archery (not nessecarily for hunting). She has his stigma that target ardhery is for hunting. What can I do to change this perspective and hopefully get her interested?

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Get her in here. Or take her to an archery range where you know other women shoot. Take her out to the pro shop and let her try some bows, let her see the color and accessory options, and let her talk to some of the target shooters.

Target shooting and hunting are, in my opinion, two very different animals. If she gets to see that shooting at the range all day is a also a social thing, that may help.

Maybe take her toa fun shoot, where she can play "darts" or shoot some balloons.. a milkjug contest is always fun, too. My family really enjoys 3D shoots, including my 10 year old daughter who wont even eat fish because they are "cute" and look like pets. She will never, ever hunt. Ever. But she has really taken a strong interest in archery, and is doing great so far.

My older daughter has no interest in shooting, but enjoys working at the shoots- registration and concession stuff. Maybe that would be something that might interest your wife, so she can meet people and have some fun.

· Registered
147 Posts
I agree with MN.. I had some interest with Sean, but as soon as I started watching him shoot and reading in the forum, I became more and more interested. I was surprised to see as many women involved. Originally, I thought only men participated in this sport and was SOOO wrong! I think some women are shocked at the level of respect and participation that the women have with archery...

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice

I'll try the range. She's been to the pro shop, unfortuntately I'm in Idaho where everything seems to be camo. So, that didn't help. I don't really know how to get her interested enough to get on AT, but, I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!

· Registered
40 Posts
Take her to an archery shoot!

My husband and his friends took me with them to a 3d shoot and had me keep track of the score cards and that is all took.That day I said I want to do it! So we started looking for a bow. I have had mine a week now a shot my first 3d shoot Sunday (after 5 days of having my bow) I love it! Most of the girls that I have talked to are better than there boyfriends or Husbands- that may motivate her.
Let her go with you and she will fall in love. I don't plan on hunting any time soon but I like the challenge.
There are a lot of archers that have no intentions of hunting. Like the above replies say have her get in here and talk to others.
But really, I think to actually enjoy it (or anything) there needs to be a desire or an interest in it. Hopefully you can persuade her!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.