Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...I know...I know....Yet another Rage BH Thread...But man all this negativity and the more I am reading about shots not passing through has me a bit concerned now.. I have taken a deer two years ago with a 3-blade rage...Was not a pass through but deer literally went 30yds and expired..This season I was all psyched and switched my setups to 125gr (2 new bows since then) and went with rage 2-blade..Bought nice rage cage cases for them and everything... Now the more I read here everyday I am becoming more skeptical.. Are these "haters" finally getting to me? Should I be concerned? I shoot a Z7 at 70lbs with a decent weight arrow and KE is about 85.. Other bow is Bear Attack at 70lbs with around same KE... Need some people to either help me get my head into sticking with rages or others to talk me into switching to Grim Reapers and/or Steelheads...

·
Banned
2,988 Posts
Well I don't use rages, but I DO NOT MIND a quartering away shot where the arrow gets lodged in the opposite shoulder.. I figure if its in there while they are running away its doing more damage...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i have shot 6 deer with rage 2 blade so far ranging from 60lb-297lb. i have yet to have the arrow stay in a deer all was pass throughs . 4 of those either entered or exited the shoulder. I am shooting monster mr6 28" draw 70lb. But look at it like this if you dont get a pass through but you get a 2-4" wide gash and its 8 inches deep thats alot better than a 1" pass through. None of my deer have made it over 60 yards

·
Registered
566 Posts
havent shot the rage or grim reaps but i did order some GR and they should be here tomorrow. ive read many more great reviews on the GR than the rage but thats not a gaurantee on anything. ill update you tomorrow on how the grim reaps look, sharpness, sturdiness, ect.

·
Registered
241 Posts
500 will like them, 500 will hate them. I have seen enough negative with the positive to turn me away from them because i dont want to take a chance when there are numerous BHs with great reviews and little to no complaints!! i wouldd rather takee my chance with the 9/10 good reviews when your talking $30 for 3. I also saw a bh video on you tube shooting through a steel barrel and it blew the rage all to pieces after the first wall of the barrel where as the grim reaper penetrated both walls and was in alot better condition... but then again , we are not hunting steel barrels...lol

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly my thinking..With so many other great bh's out there I am nervous about taking the chance and becoming one of the dreaded Rage Hater's.. Seems like nobody ever says anything bad about Grim Reapers or Steelheads..That alone makes me doubt my Rage choice more by the second..
500 will like them, 500 will hate them. I have seen enough negative with the positive to turn me away from them because i dont want to take a chance when there are numerous BHs with great reviews and little to no complaints!! i wouldd rather takee my chance with the 9/10 good reviews when your talking $30 for 3. I also saw a bh video on you tube shooting through a steel barrel and it blew the rage all to pieces after the first wall of the barrel where as the grim reaper penetrated both walls and was in alot better condition... but then again , we are not hunting steel barrels...lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a buddy that shoots them out of a crossbow and loves them and he is an absolute tight wad. My supervisor at work didnt like them , said he couldnt get over the whistling sound and they didnt impress him all that much and he does have a 180" bow kill to his credit!! He said they shot good but liked others better. The only answer to this is for you to shoot them for a season and give them a fair shot if you are really wanting to try them, otherwise go in a different direction... your the one spending the money , not us!!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Passing thru should not be a thought with a Rage head , Its a field point , that opens mechanically.

The only problems are..
When will it open ? ( apron impact , in my quiver , or apron release)
Will it open properly apron impact ?
Will it seat properly apron impact , ( stay wide open and cut true )
Will the blade snap inside and leave shrapnel ?

Thats about 3 questions too many for me .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I shot GR before the rage and im not bashing at all cause all will kill deer, but there is no comparison in entry hole and bloodtrail. Rage wins hands down

·
Registered
241 Posts
I shot GR before the rage and im not bashing at all cause all will kill deer, but there is no comparison in entry hole and bloodtrail. Rage wins hands down
I have seen some awesome testimonials and pictures of what the rage heads will do ... they will blow a hole in a deer!!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Im sure there are tougher broadheads on the market for shootn bricks and barrells. I have shot muzzy 3-4 blade thunderheads,razor sharks, steelhead,tekan,and grim reaper. I doubt any are tougher than muzzy but i lost more deer with a muzzy than any other and yes some was my fault including a 212" nt buck in illinois in 2005. Just nothing of the ones i described comes close to entry hole and bloodtrail. A marginal hit with rage bleeds more than a perfect hit with most others. Also the GR practice heads or blades are junk. I have bent blades hitting bones with rage but thats it. Im sure there are more great heads out there but as far as tracking a rage hit deer a blind man could track him. If anyone seriously finds a head that will have a better entry please let me know. I will
Try anything. Im just givn my honest experiences with those

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I wouldn't want to hunt having anxiety over my gear. If the reviews are making you nervous, I'd recommend selling them here for a slight loss, and getting heads you're confident in. Win-win; someone gets a fairly good deal that believes in them, and you can hunt worry free. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have seen some awesome testimonials and pictures of what the rage heads will do ... they will blow a hole in a deer!!!
WOW !
advertising actually works !

not knocking Rage , but really ............... what a puppet

"awesome testimonials"

sheez , guys keep your kids off your AT account late at night

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
^^^ funny but true, i have seen more faliures with a rage than anything else, mainly if they hit bone they disigrate, and the GR hater you may have gotten a bad batch but i know they are probally one of the strongest large cut mech out there, unless you shoot that stupidly huge whitetail special

·
Registered
241 Posts
WOW !
advertising actually works !

not knocking Rage , but really ............... what a puppet

"awesome testimonials"

sheez , guys keep your kids off your AT account late at night
Your exactly right young one, if you would /could read you would see that in my posts that I said "I will stay away from the rage heads" the awesome testimonials I'm speaking of are not on tv but other forums with pictures of real kills. So maybe before you develop a serious case of diarrhea of the mouth you should learn to read the whole thread. It's idiotic comments like yours above that help strengthen the saying... " better to be thought of as an Idiot ,than to open your mouth and prove it..."

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,521 Posts
you've been around this site for a year now, and you should be starting to realize one thing: There's always haters.
Yes there are a lot of Rage bashing threads, just like a lot of Rage fanboy threads. Ever notice all the bow brand bashing and fanboy threads too? This site is full of that stuff. At the end of the day it comes down to you. What works for you, and what do you have confidence in. Your set up has plenty of push for mechanical broadheads, but I'm not gonna sit here and say "Rage is everything, shoot Rage, drink the Kool-Aid" cause honestly I couldn't care less what you shoot, as long as it's sharp. I've had great results with 2 blade Rages, having no penetration issues on the deer I've shot over the last two seasons. Seems to me though if you need someone else to talk you into sticking with something, then you've already decided to change. My best advise is do your own testing and field evals, then use your favorite head. If you liked the 3 blade, I think you'll like the two blades even better. If that turns out you decide not to use Rages, that's great, I'll gladly take em off your hands...

·
Registered
63 Posts
For me........................I had to make this same decision last year. So many of my friends were Rager's..................................and then I started hearing the stories. It opened in flight, I didnt check the seating of the blade before I shot, I hit the shoulder with little penetration. And with that being said, some of my friends were getting them perfect broadside shots and leaving a hatchet hole in the side of the deer. Some with pass thru's some without. I am a guy that doesn't like to worry about my gear. And after I did a little research, I chose the reapers. IMO, they fly better down range, you dont have to worry about them opening in the quiver, and they penetrate something seriously!. I am shooting the z7 and the first 8 pt I shot last year, thru both front shoulders, 1 3/8 razor tip, BROKE both front shoulders and when I shot, the deers chest hit the dirt just like he just got shot with a rifle!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
use them with no worries... The problems people have with them is because of human error.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
mechanicals were designed so that you can screw them on and go hunting. so either learn to tune a broadhead and arrow properly or be one of the many that choose to take a chance the mehanical will open. from what i have seen, Rages do work great and are very devestating, But.. theres always that little bit of doubt.

i never have to worry that my broadhead will open, or its sharp or that it flies perfectly. i can shoot hundreds of practice shots with my broadheads and then simply change blades before i go hunting. but it was easy for me to learn to tune a fixed blade to an arrow. i had a few years of shop experience and a very good teacher that showed me how to tune a broadhead to an arrow.

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,140 Posts
I have no doubt whatsoever that if I put my Rage 3 blade in the kill zone that that deer will go down within sight. Heck, ANYTHING can happen while bow hunting, rest could malfunction, release could malfunction, string could break, cams could become out of sync, the string could hit something you are wearing, you could get a small twig lodged between the string and cam then roll the string off the cam...on and on. Even in everyday life we use mechanical "things" that can fail. Yes, of course taking out one mechanical thing out of you bow hunting set up may be better, but it is up to the hunter. I use the practice head and use the 5 best arrows, then I use the real McCoy with those 5 arrows and make sure it gets a good group. I have done that with any BH. Confidence in your equipment is important so use, maintain and practice with your choices to achieve the level of confidence necessary for you.
Only non pass through with Rages, quartering away a bit, lodged in opposite shoulder

Rage hole vs. Piston Point(meat seekers)

I like the bigger hole
Piston Point accuracy is great(as long as one practices)

Piston blood trail

1 - 20 of 68 Posts