Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just want to discus any negative reactions you have had from people regarding your interest in hunting.

I enjoy hunting and fishing like someone would enjoy any other sport, the thing is there are certain people in society who seem to think that these interests are wrong.
Recently I had a women who I work with dive headlong into a diatribe of demonic proportion about the evils of hunting and fishing after over hearing a conversation between me and a good buddy.
Anyway she told us in no uncertan terms that we were animal haters and enjoyed inflicting pain on animals, this is total crap as we all know.

I have two pet cats which I have had for over ten years and a dog that is well over 14 years old, I hardly hate animals I have alot of respect for them as a matter of fact.
And as far as enjoying inflicting pain on animals, myself and I am sure 90% or more of hunters try to minamize suffering as much as possible, giving the animal a far more humane death than mother nature ever could.

I know I don't have to explain myself to you guys that hunt, you understand where I am coming from but it surely pisses me off when this BS happens,(But I guess this is the modern world where most people are so far removed from nature that the closest they get to a healthy and natural existance is watching the discovery channel).

Sorry for the long post I hope you hung in there, anyone else got a story like this?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think all hunters and fishermen have heard opposition to some extent. The best thing to do is avoid hunting and fishing discussion with or around people who feel that strongly about our interests. Fifty years ago a deer hanging over a car fender was a thing of pride. Now it is shameful. We need to do whatever we can to promote our sport and not draw any negative focus to it. Things like placing a dead bear with sun glasses, a hat and a cigarette in its mouth on a four wheeler on the back of a pick-up sure doesn't help. That picture made its way to lots of magazines. One caption read something like "Hunters having fun". Non hunters see that sort of thing and assume that represents hunting.

·
Banned
322 Posts
hunting is not bad but there are some things out there that make it look real bad.

if you look in the soap box there is a topic " death at my feet". i clicked on it then clicked on a link to watch a video. what i saw on the video there was a guy who gets reall close to african animals then shoots em in the head.

with a minute or two saw him do that times 10 or so.

by watching that short video it looked like he was on a killing spree.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I quit debating and arguing with the anti-hunting crowd years ago. It's just a waste of time. No matter what you say, they'll never get it. I usually just grin and tell them to have a nice day and go on about my business. For some reason, it really tears a lot of them up that I won't debate the issue with them. I've had one or two just about blow a gasket when I smiled and walked away. It's fun to watch.
I hunt because it's a part of who I am and I don't have to feel shameful or explain my actions to anyone. The only individuals I need answer to are myself and the all mighty above.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yep, pretty much ignore them if the are that bad. It only looks bad for them. Nothing better than to let the crazies be crazy - nothing you can ever say will ever change them and the calm polite person will always get the sympathy over a raving lunatic.

Now, if they are polite then it's ok to converse (and make sure it is converse, never be the one to be impolite first). That's doesn't mean don't point out thier arguments make no sense or are hypocritical, just don't explicitly point that out, make fun of them, or become agressive. It's better to have others (including the one you are convesing with) come to that conclusion on thier own - they will believe it better and usually remember. If they become agressive just make sure to keep a check on yourself (if you choose to become agressive back - even better if you deliberatly become agressive with no anger) and not cross a line into crazy also - best to smile, say thank you for you opinion, and walk away.

Not just true in hunting discussions, but true in general in persuasive arguments.

·
Registered
46 Posts
debate...

The simple solution to this problem with people is that as a whole, most people are STUPID!!!!! Just like the idiots that were protesting any adverse reaction the US would have.....the day after 9/11!!!!

What were dealing with here is a difference in the American subculture. This new generation coming on the scene is a bunch of MTV/Playstation/Politically Correct/Oprah Winfrey watching Morons, who absolutely refuse to see the opinions of anybody else other than theirselves. When you say you're a hunter, they immediately see the villains from Deliverance, and assume that you're just like all the other hunters and outdoorsmen who have been portrayed in movies and television throughout the last thirty years.

These are the people who are going to be running this country in the next thirty years, and these are the people who are GOING to take our bows, guns, hunting rights, and cigarettes................that is, if we let them. :angry:

·
Registered
815 Posts
negative reactions

You can hardly find a darn thing that we either eat, sit on, sleep on or wear that does not come from either an animal or animal by-product. Unless these tree-huggers are naked vegetarians and do not drive cars (yes, gasoline / petroleum is an animal by-product). They don't have a foot to stand on in an argument. Hunting and fishing is a God-given Right! And Responsibility.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
I quit debating and arguing with the anti-hunting crowd years ago. It's just a waste of time. No matter what you say, they'll never get it. I usually just grin and tell them to have a nice day and go on about my business. For some reason, it really tears a lot of them up that I won't debate the issue with them. I've had one or two just about blow a gasket when I smiled and walked away. It's fun to watch.
I hunt because it's a part of who I am and I don't have to feel shameful or explain my actions to anyone. The only individuals I need answer to are myself and the all mighty above.
Excellent...thats how I would handle it. :beer:

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
22,053 Posts
Tell them to stop eating:

1. Eggs
2. bacon
3. chicken
4. fish
5. seafood
6. and everything else.

Then ask them if the only thing they eat are fruits and vegetables. Then ask if they are Christians. Then ask how come the Bible says its ok to eat meat....<g>

Dwayne

·
Registered
37 Posts
It would be interesting to know how of these anti's are unemployed or dont work.Most of them have too much time on there hands and obviously have nothing better to do than criticize the very thing that supplements there own exsistence.Uh! go figure mike

·
Registered
987 Posts
well, i like to play play station, think oprah winfrey is a brilliant woman, but i love to kill things and to hunt. Its who i am and its in my genes, i respect the fact that some people dont enjoy it, and i dont chastise them if they don't. I defend myself verbally if need be , but while maintaining respect for teh fellow person and try to have an intellectual conversation, if tehy cant then i walk away. Makes us Hunters look much more intelligent to do so.

Baretracks... the same thing could be said of you being "stupid" and ignorant because you do things differently, i personally dont think you are stupid, however there is no need to label people because their beliefs are different then your beliefs

·
Registered
643 Posts
Life survives by consuming life. Everything that lives, consumes other life. So you don't eat meat, vegetarians consume life, aren't plants alive? Who are they to say their life is more important than a vegetables life. Just ask any treehugger and they'll tell you that the plants life is just as important as your life. :confused:
My mistake, I guess plants don't consume life, they draw their nutrients from the soil and sun, tell the lady if she can figure out how I can do that, I'll quit hunting.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your not alone. Keep hunting and fishing. I'm teaching my three children to enjoy the outdoors. We all belong to the Durham Archers and all of us shoot including my wife. Even my 4 year old took first place in a recent tournament.
I find these people who attack hunting and fishing usually have no clue as to what they are taking about and just jump on the band wagon because they have no life or hobbies. Most of them haven't even tried the sport.
Keep on doing what you are doing and enjoy it. Support the organizations that are defending our rights to hunt and fish.
I'd like to see what would happen if all of a sudden if these winey butts had to survive of the land. I guess they would be pretty hungry. They would be the first at your front door knocking for someone to feed them. It's kind of had to hunt or fish at your local grocery store with a chrome shopping buggy when its closed.
Enjoy life and the outdoors.

crazymoose :banana:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd watch what the old girl is eating for lunch. Everytime she takes a bite out of that chicken salad or tuna fish sandwich, remind her of the animal that gave it's life so she could flap her mouth!

45-70

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple of years ago i went on a blind date with a girl who turned out to be a card carrying peta memeber and a vegan. That was a short date we didn't even finish our drinks. But it was not short enough for me to not catch an ear full.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I would like to add just this:
The ones that help anti-hunters/anti-anglers out are the ones that critisise and lable those of differing opinions. If you cant "argue" in a decent respectful way, then don't say anything. Just smile. I belive that everyone has a right to their own opinion and to live their life as they see fit. Me, I eat beef, fish, game, dairy, ect. My sis on the other hand is a vegan. We both respect each other, but have we ever had some looooooooong discussions, LOL

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:) I will agree that there are those that one just cannot, or will not everchange their minds on the hunting issue. One must learn to pick their battles very carefully. I recently had a very great privaledge to have a long discussion with an entire family who NEVER have hunted, and know very little about it. My daughter had spent the weekend with their daughter--school buddies. They are good people, and when they arrived at my home I was in the back yard shooting broadhead tipped arrows into a target. As I turned around I caught the fella out of my eye. He took great interest in what I was doing. He asked aTON of questions, and after a very long conversation he was convinced that one who is dedicated to being proficient with good gear, and exhibits respect for the outdoors isn't all that bad. I was able to explain that some of the stories, and rumors are not what ALL hunters are like. He was really stunned to learn that I have set specific limitations to my bowhunting. I was able to show him 20 yards, and explained that no deer that I have ever taken was beyond that. I never brag, but when he was able to see the walls of success, combined with starting to understand just a little bit about bowhunting--he now understands that it isn't fishing in a barrel--It takes alot of things coming together to achieve success. Prior to their departure he shook my hand, and told me that this has shed light on things that he previously was unsure about. He even told me that he was on the fence about hunting before. His mind was changed--we all are not some blood thirsty killers. We still talk, and he hasn't changed his mind now--he sees us hunters in a different light. If, and when the right person begins to ask questions, and the mood is right--take the time to not only defend, and promote the sport, but let folks know we are GOOD people. As with all folks we have different likes, opinions, desires, and goals in life. I am in NO way trying to brag about this event--just sharing a true life event that left me know one more time that the eyes of others are upon us. We must strive to show others WE ARE GOOD PEOPLE-we like to hunt--just like they have desires to do their own thing in life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts