Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
really showed an interest in archery. He lives across the road from me. He 6 or 7 and goes to the same school as my 5 yr old. His older brothers are always pickin on him. His dad is a drunk that doesnt give him any attention. His mom trys but she supports the family... He comes over sometimes and plays with my son. He always likes to hold my arrows for me when i shoot my bow.

Recently my son got a Diamond Nuclear Ice to replace his Lil Sioux Recurve he learned on... I let the neighbor boy shoot it today and it was like a duck to water... Ive thought about giving the lil recurve to the neighbor boy if his parents are ok with it but it has sentimental value to so,e degree... Would this the right thing to do? Introduce this kid to archery by giving him my sons first bow? Am i getting into something i shouldnt?? Hints, advice please....

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Give it to him......or if it has that much sentimental value "loan it to him" or tell him he can shoot it at your house anytime he comes over (add stipulations as needed).

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
In any case, you probably have an opportunity to be a huge influence in the kid's life. Don't miss out.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
well he might use the bow and live as a hit man....worst case scenario_Or you can change his lil life around ;) Anyways i honestly love to make peoples day so i would give it to him.But thats just me

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Doesnt sound like his dad is gonna shoot with him or supervise him so I wouldnt give it to him to take home. I would let him shoot it with you two whenever though. Mabye when hes old enough to shoot by himself, Id let him have a hand-me-down

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I would let him shoot it anytime he wants to at your house only, that way you can keep the bow.

Had a kid with a similar situation around here, he was about 14. Same kind of dad.

Someone gave him a bow and his dad decided to work on it one night, needless to say dad was drunk, bow came apart and parts were lost and now the bow is trashed.

The kid was crushed, he was getting pretty good with that old bow.

I think what you want to do is really nice, but probably should get the parents permission, at least the moms.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
loan it to him when he is there.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'd say keep the bow yours but help to teach him just as you did you. The sentimental value you have now will be huge if it prevents this kid from a much worse path in the future. Based off things now he is using you as a roll model and is envious of your son. You never know you could build a future relationship with a shooting buddy for your son when your time on earth is done and that there Sir is priceless.

Just remember to instruct Safety Safety Safety

·
Registered
805 Posts
I say let him shoot it when he's over, help to introduce him to the sport. But I also think this is something that you should get the parents permission on. They might not care, but the last thing you want is an angry drunk father coming over looking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
get the parents ok first... even before you let him shoot it again.if you get the ok, tell him he can shoot any time at your house with you and your son and it will give your son a shooting buddy.your doing the right thing, if its as bad as you say, this kid needs a father figure....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Right now he is learning negative things from his family atmosphere. I would clear it with his parents and allow him to learn from your(positive) family atmosphere. Achery is just the means to an end

I would not give him the bow. It is one of the things that draws him to positive

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think everyone in here echoes similar views, if you can help I think you certainly should. Keep the bow at your house and you all can shoot together. Be a positive in his life and hopefully he doesn't follow the path of his father.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, anytime spent teaching a child is time well spent..Good for you!:)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i had a couple kids like that by me and i would let them shoot my sons genesis.they would line up and beg me,so i let them all shoot.its a great thing for a kid.

·
Registered
535 Posts
get the parents ok first... even before you let him shoot it again.if you get the ok, tell him he can shoot any time at your house with you and your son and it will give your son a shooting buddy.your doing the right thing, if its as bad as you say, this kid needs a father figure....
I second that. Ask the parents first if he gets hurt with out the parents permission you could be responsible for any injuries.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Could be a sticky situation giving a young kid a "weapon". We all on AT know better, I'm just looking at it from a non-hunting parent's point of view (I do not agree with this).

I agree with some of the other posters. Keep it at your house and let him shoot it, and teach him about archery any time he comes over.

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like some good advice. The bow will stay here. He will be welcome to shoot anytime we are shooting. Ill ok it with his mom and dad tomorrow evening...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I applaud you gesture :set1_applaud:but I would allow him to shoot it under your supervision. Sounds like he might not get that at home and you can also offer your guidance and advice like that as well.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Don't give the bow to him to take home; his older brothers might shoot him with it. Like a lot of the others have said, keep it there at your place and he'll always be welcome to come over and shoot it with you and your son. His older brothers might show an interest in it too and you'll have the chance to turn their lives around too.

·
Banned
2,988 Posts
Let him have the bow if it stays at your house, so you can supervise him and your bow, something his parents may not do..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts