Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right so if you couldn't tell I am very new here, thanks for having me and I look forward to being an active member here.

So when I was younger my uncle Mike (The cool one that lets you play with his guns :wink:) brought me into his garage and let me and my brother shoot his very nice recurve. I had never touched a bow before, but after that I was hooked.

Well the week after me and my brother went to our local Archery shop (the only one anywheres near us) and bought 2 youth bows, one jennings and one fred bear. They were excellent and we loved them.

Well our local archery shop had closed up when we outgrew them and I hadn't really felt the need to upgrade..

Long story short, I want a new bow.

I only have a budget of preferably $300..but I can go to $400 if need be.

I have been looking online (eBay) and I can get some old Hoyts (Zr200's mostly) and Mathews (Mq2). Well my friend is selling his 2008 Whisper Creek Stroker SS, it has only been shot maybe 100 times, it could easily pass as new in a shop. From what he has told me it is the quietest and smoothest bow he has EVER shot.

Now I researched the company, and before they shutdown in 2009 they were a phenomenal company. They started developing there technology in 2001 and released there first bow in 2006. They guaranteed everything for life..even the string! Very very solid company, and it really is a shame that they had to close down.

Well he wants $270 for basically a new $800 bow. I looked on eBay and I found a store that bought out WCA's inventory and has all spare parts available if anything were to break.

I guess I am asking the experienced Archers here if I should go with the very nice WCA and somewhat risk something going wrong (Honestly its so cheap, if it does I could just buy another bow..) or if I should get an older Hoyt or Mathews.

Also theres the option of getting a low end Cabelas bow or something like it but I'm trying to stay away from that..or should I?

In case you havn't been able to tell I can't seem to make up my mind..any help is much appreciated. Have a good night guys!

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Look in the classifieds here. Great deals and I trust the members here a lot more than E-bay. At least these guys are archers and actually know what the bow, which I've seen be a problem on E-bay.

I'd forget the WC. They weren't really that nice before they went under, and sure aren't more attractive now with limited parts. You can get a 10 year old Hoyt and still get new limbs, cams and such (and their design is conducive to customizing the bow how you want it).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright well now I guess we are on the new or used topic..

I can get a Diamond razor edge, redhead kronik, Bear Charge RTH etc in my budget..they are all supposed to be great bows. Or I can get a potentially better used bow.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but a bows a bow right? Whats the difference between a $1000 bow and a $400 bow?

·
Registered
14,931 Posts

I can get a Diamond razor edge, redhead kronik, Bear Charge RTH etc in my budget..they are all supposed to be great bows. Or I can get a potentially better used bow.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but a bows a bow right? Whats the difference between a $1000 bow and a $400 bow?
Do yourself a favor and find your nearest archery pro shop and go shoot a few bows. Do not get into this sport over the internet i can tell you from customers experience and my own that you cannot start this sport without proper bow setup, tuning to your specific shooting style, and tips and pointers so you are shooting the bow properly.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ditto, the bow HAS to fit you properly to get the most out of it. On a lot of older bows, that means buying new cams for your specific draw length, or new modules at the least. I'd definitely see what your local shop has in the low end range, rather than just buying whatever your friend happened to shoot. Definitely stay away from Ebay for archery equipment... if you decide on a particular bow then the classifieds on A/T are probably a much better option. But buying one locally is still the only way you can shoot the bow before putting money down on it.... and the low end $400 bows today are just as good as the top of the line bows 6-8 years ago.

The Whisper Creek bows were supposedly pretty quiet, although I think there's a lot of bows now that are probably much better. In short, if Whisper Creeks were really that great they'd still be in business... period. If you go with an older bow, I'd stick with the more established manufacturers. Single cam bows are great for people who don't want to worry as much about tuning the cams. The youth bows like the Diamond Razor Edge, while being very impressive performance wise (my GF has one), are TRUE dual cam bows and require a LOT more to get them setup correctly (and having them stay that way!) There's a ton of great 5 year old bows out there that have absolutely nothing wrong with them, except that in the past 10 years there have been so many advances in bow design that now everyone has to have a new bow every 6 mos....

·
Registered
47,473 Posts

I'd say a used top of the line model is still a better machine than a low price point model. No way it isn't. They generally use better materials, have tighter tolerances, and are prettier, too. But in function a bow is a bow, as long as there aren't any mechanical issues. You should also know that the length of the bow is just as much a part of fit as the drawlength.

But these guys are right in suggesting that you hit a shop, join a club or something. You'll need instruction and help in fitting the bow, not to mention all the other stuff involved. It's nice to have a knowledgeable individual there to help. And it can be overwhelming for a newb. If we knew where you were located someone could probably suggest a good shop or even help you themselves.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Go to the classifieds and do a search of "Hoyt" and you will find Ultratecs, Cybertecs, Xtecs and Vtecs that are all very nice bows with great performance. They will be easy to find at that $300.00 mark. These are great bows that are very accurate and durable. Just make sure that your draw length is in the middle or towards the top of the bows draw length range. DO NOT buy the Whisper Creek! P.M. me if you need details.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks for the input, I told him I would pass on it.

Now in my spare time I did stop by the 2 most popular shops in the Metro detroit area (where I live btw) which would be Vans archery and Shupbachs in Jackson, Mi.

First thing they said is "Get more money!" ..we had a good laugh :rolleyes:

Anyways, they are pushing me towards getting a new budget bow vs. a older high end bow. The one guy at Shupbach's emphasized that buying a bow over the internet was one of the absolute WORST things you can do, period.

Now both shops carried all of the Jesus brands..Hoyt, Mathews/Mission, Bear, Bowtech/Diamond etc etc.

They both recommended some different bows.

-Pse stinger (I actually laughed at him when he said this..then kind of felt bad and apologized lol :cry:)

-Parker Blazer

-Bear Strike

-Mission eliminator (20% off puts it in my budget :wink:)

-Diamond The rock 2.0

-Redhead Kronik (not making this up lol..I mentioned my thinking of going to a "big box store" and he said I might give this a try, apparently one of his friends bought it and really likes it..he also said to bring it to them to set up because...well I think everyone here knows why lol)

-PSE Brute

Any and all opinions on these bows are greatly appreciated, they are my options it looks like.

I really would like going to the classifieds, but apparently its really slow for these guys and I'd like to think that maybe I could help keep there doors open just that much longer :wink:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The problem is most if not all of the bows on that list are one cams. Which at this point is fast becoming an outdated technology. And they are all bows that are poor at best in quality and durability. You would be far better off to get a used Hoyt that is in good condition. That bow will out last me and you both, and it will be accurate, easy to shoot and tune.

Alright thanks for the input, I told him I would pass on it.

Now in my spare time I did stop by the 2 most popular shops in the Metro detroit area (where I live btw) which would be Vans archery and Shupbachs in Jackson, Mi.

First thing they said is "Get more money!" ..we had a good laugh :rolleyes:

Anyways, they are pushing me towards getting a new budget bow vs. a older high end bow. The one guy at Shupbach's emphasized that buying a bow over the internet was one of the absolute WORST things you can do, period.

Now both shops carried all of the Jesus brands..Hoyt, Mathews/Mission, Bear, Bowtech/Diamond etc etc.

They both recommended some different bows.

-Pse stinger (I actually laughed at him when he said this..then kind of felt bad and apologized lol :cry:)

-Parker Blazer

-Bear Strike

-Mission eliminator (20% off puts it in my budget :wink:)

-Diamond The rock 2.0

-Redhead Kronik (not making this up lol..I mentioned my thinking of going to a "big box store" and he said I might give this a try, apparently one of his friends bought it and really likes it..he also said to bring it to them to set up because...well I think everyone here knows why lol)

-PSE Brute

Any and all opinions on these bows are greatly appreciated, they are my options it looks like.

I really would like going to the classifieds, but apparently its really slow for these guys and I'd like to think that maybe I could help keep there doors open just that much longer :wink:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See now this is why I love you guys, I would have never known that they were phasing out single cams.

Classifieds it is, hopefully I can find and buy a rig tonight...maybe even under budget!

So what brands should I be looking for besides Hoyt?

Also..main thing *****What measurements do I need to know!******

All I know is I measured my arm span and divided by 2.5 so I should** have a 28" draw..but then again I am 6'3" so maybe its bigger..

So far I have found these.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1359760&highlight=hoyt

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1359653&highlight=hoyt

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1354921

I'm going to find a bunch once I get this info and then it will be up to you guys to decide!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:bump:

I would google it..but works a b****

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
The Trykon is one of those love/hate bows. Not a bad one, though, but it has draw length specific cams, which I'd steer away from until you have some time in and KNOW your EXACT drawlength. The 38Ultra is a sweetheart, but it's also DL specific. The Ross is defunct and not very DL adjustable either. Most DL specific cam systems require changing cam(s), string, cable(s) and even limbs to get the desired DW.....not worth doing to a used bow most times.

For you, at your height, I'd suggest staying away from really short axle to axle length bows. They just won't fit you well. I'm 5'10" tall and shoot longer than 28", so I'd bet you're around 30". :mg: Maybe not, but definitely in the 29-30 inch range. Find a bow that is NOT drawlength specific and over 35" in axle to axle length for your best fit. Forget speed altogether, your DL is long enough any bow will be relatively fast.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would definitely stay away from the Trykon. There are to many good Hoyts to get one of those. Look at some used Elites also. You could also look at some used Dartons and certain Martins. I would steer clear of used PSE and Bowtechs for durability and quality issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright now that I've got measurements what about brands?

My list was consisting of:

-Hoyt

-Mathews

-Bowtech

-Bear

-PSE

But apparently I should get rid of Pse and Bowtech..

What are some other brands I should consider?

I saw some really funky ones in the classifieds..Oh and any models (like the Trykon lol) I should stay away from would be great also.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
the whisper creek bows where very nice they just didnt have very good speeds technology was ahead of its time and look a little wierd but very good bows if you want the best bang for your buck i would find a few year old elite a bowtech swat could be a cheaper not very old bow also any of the diamond bows would be great to look at
good luck with finding a new bow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ That actually goes against everything I have learned on this site :confused:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think you are overlooking Martin for used bows. Many of their bows have adjustable cams so you can get your dfawlength. Very reasonably priced too. You can find hunting or target bows.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
i sold and used the whisper creek bows, but im not familiar with the stroker, they were good bows shot accurately and are indeed very quiet, they were not speed bows bow had sufficent speed for hunting,, they have turned out to be fairly duarble.. so if you like the whisper creek go ahead and get it,,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright been looking quite a bit so far, this is what I got..ish.

-http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1292343

-http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1359653&highlight=hoyt

-http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1359638&highlight=hoyt

-http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1357817&highlight=hoyt

I like the last one but probably not going to get it because of the Demo limbs..

No hits for cheap mathews that I would actually want, so as things go I'm just going to keep checking in on Hoyt stuff.

You guys havn't really been clear, any other brands I should consider?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts