Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up new 3d rig (Mathews Drenalin LD) set up at 60 pds max 28.50 DL and possible arrows cut to 27.50 at this point easton has ACC 3-39 arrows or Redline 460's. for best spine option, lightspeeds and fatbays would be to stiff of a spine. What are your thoughts on these arrows and any others that might match this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
3D arrows

I'm shooting a DLD at 60# and 29.5 DL using Lightspeed 400s.
Really like them - fly well with 80gr CB points, Duravare 3D 1.8" fletches, and Tune-A-nocks
Getting just over 300fps with 305 gr arrows
They are also pretty tough

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would try shooting Carbon Express Maxima 3d Select 250's these are a good spine for 60 lbs. At that lenght you could try 150' and paper tune they might have enough spine with an 80gr point

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
I'm not sure why you don't think you can get a Lightspeed that will have the right spine for your setup. Fatboys might not be what I'd pick for 3D but not because of spine. You might want to check them out again before you decide. Lightspeeds would not be a bad choice, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have a Apex 7 set at 54# 29 inch and shoot 460 redlines with 80 grain points cut to 28 inch which shoots really well. 460s will work at your specs but are fractionally weak so you may have to take a turn out of the limbs.

ACCs are a great arrow but heavier and the 3-39 is fractionally stiffer so it spines well for your set up.

A 400 spine Fatboy or Lightspeed would also work cut at 28.5 with 100 grain points and at similar speed to a 3-39 with 80 grain/27.5 inch.

My bow is set up for field which is why I shoot 460 Redlines if it was my main 3D bow I would shoot the Fatboys or for my 3D bow I shoot CXL-SS arrows.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fatboys and weather= BAD! shot a tourney this weekend with my fatboys, started to rain and snow arrow was all over the target. needless to say i got pwned bad. i would suggest a thiner shaft such as the lightspeed or the lightspeed 3D.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Utah1,

I assume you are referring to the "Icebreaker" up in Provo Canyon? If so, I was there too. We had a blast but it sure got wet and cold on Saturday afternoon.

I was just shooting my Hunting rig; Hoyt Protec, Fuse 5 pin sight and Easton Axis 400 arrows. My buddies were shooting their fancy smancy Hoyt Tournament bows, Sliding tournament sight and Easton ACC lights or similar. They shot better than me, but they have a lot more experience than I as well. I felt like I held my own for the most part but my arrows were definitely harder to pull from the targets.

One of the guys from the Hoyt Customer Service department was also shooting his Axis arrows only they were the newer "nano" type. I heard several complaining about the difficulty removing them from the 3D targets. One of the guys that joined our group was shooting Fat Boys and they were definitely having issues with the weather. One of the Hoyt engineers joined us on the last course and he was shooting arrows that were really thin. In fact, I heard some of the other guys calling them "pen refills". That said, he sure shot a lot of perfect shots all the way to the end.

I loved shooting with these guys that know so much about shooting and bows etc. I am learning so much. I love the 3D thing as it represents what I enjoy much more than just paper punching. I live for the hunt and these 3D shoots really help to ready me.

Wolverine

·
Registered
243 Posts
that would be the one. what a bad weekend for a storm to move in. i was the one packing a infant around in a big red backpack looking thing....

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Victory x-ringers 350HV V1 with 100gr pts 1.5 - 2.25 in fletchings.... arrow wt btw 302-310 best flying arrow you'll ever buy

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
hey Tim...I checked the HV-V5's 350's with every tip combo imaginable, and every length imaginable, and the only way I could get them to spine less for 62.5# was to shoot it dang-near full length!

Is On Target 2 off on their calculations?

For some reason it was saying that the HV-V5 350's were too strong for my DLD on 62.5 #'s, and a 27.5" draw with the arrow cutting at 27"...

Can you check for me and see if they would work...

b/c they're the arrows I would prefer to shoot...but I don't want to if they'll be spining too stiff, and not flying good at long range...

Thanks Bud,

Austin

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
hey Tim...I checked the HV-V5's 350's with every tip combo imaginable, and every length imaginable, and the only way I could get them to spine less for 62.5# was to shoot it dang-near full length!

Is On Target 2 off on their calculations?

For some reason it was saying that the HV-V5 350's were too strong for my DLD on 62.5 #'s, and a 27.5" draw with the arrow cutting at 27"...

Can you check for me and see if they would work...

b/c they're the arrows I would prefer to shoot...but I don't want to if they'll be spining too stiff, and not flying good at long range...

Thanks Bud,

Austin

Don't need to worry about using that ....they are not going to be too stiff trust me

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I know you know your stuff...so I'll trust you. LOL

Would you recommend 85 or 100 gr. nibbs for that arrow in a 350 spine cut to 27"?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Utah1,

I remember seeing you I believe. Was your wife shooting as well?

My buddy is expecting their first baby in September and he was pointing you out as an example of what he will be like next year. We all said, "He is the man". Way to go.

Wolverine

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
I know you know your stuff...so I'll trust you. LOL

Would you recommend 85 or 100 gr. nibbs for that arrow in a 350 spine cut to 27"?
100 gr you might have to take a pd or 2 off the bow....for speed reasons.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
100 gr you might have to take a pd or 2 off the bow....for speed reasons.
So, you're saying that with a 100gr. glue-in nibb, and cut to 27" with a 27.5" DL, on a Dren LD at 62.5" would be too much, I'd have to drop down to 60#?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree the lightspeeds or LS3D are great outdoor arrows I'm shooting an 09 Alphamax 35 at 60#'s 28.5 and I'm shooting the 500 Flatlines out of it at 301 gr. I'm getting 316fps and they are shooting awsome they are shooting bullet holes and flight is great too.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tim is right. My wife is shooting them @ 50# with no issues
Hmmm...That's so weird how OnTarget 2 said that they were spined too stiff...

I just don't know how accurate it is, you know?

I mean, there are some things that are accurate as can be on it...but I just don't know how accurate it is on the arrow spine selector...

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Hmmm...That's so weird how OnTarget 2 said that they were spined too stiff...

I just don't know how accurate it is, you know?

I mean, there are some things that are accurate as can be on it...but I just don't know how accurate it is on the arrow spine selector...

All the chart proggies use it as a general use tool.....

But just trust me on this Austin.....they will fly like darts...with what i said to set them up as.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts