Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7yr. old daughter that is dying to shoot a bow with me everyday. I had bought a cheap little recurve but, it is so hard for her to shoot. (No letoff, arrow falls off little ledge, arrow falls off string, etc.) She is about 48" tall and weighs about 40lb. Her draw length is about 18" and she can pull back at the most 15lb. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good bow to get her started with. I am just looking for something comfortable to shoot. The quality isnt real important right now till I see if she is going to stick with it.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I would recommend a used Genesis :thumbs_up

Doesnlt have a let-off, but it's real easy to draw and use - it was, designed primarily with kids in mind!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree. A Matthews Genesis would be a great starter bow for your child.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Martin Tiger

I would go with a Martin Tiger nothing wrong with the Genisis but there is no real draw stop on the bow. Some of the older ones were really long a little to long for a small Kid. I got one for my daughter when she was 5 there is no real shelf for mounting a rest the new ones have more than the old ones. Traded the mathews in and got her the Tiger and the bow comes with mods to take it from 18 to 24in and the poundage can be turned down lower than 15 pounds as well .

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Christopher Lee said:
I would recommend a used Genesis :thumbs_up

Doesnlt have a let-off, but it's real easy to draw and use - it was, designed primarily with kids in mind!

Hope this helps.

Agreed! That is what I bought for my 7 year old son. He loves it, it is highly adjustable and can "grow" with your child. He shoots it great! Great quality too...definitely not a toy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also recommend the tom thumb by Stacey archery. I have 5 and 7 year old boys who each have one. these bows are very nice. Machined aluminum risers, machined cams, and fast flight strings. IMO it is better for very small kids than the genesis because of the mass weight. Weighs under 2 lbs. I set my boys' bows up with wisker buscuit rests and a cheap sight. They shot fingers for a while and just started with a release this weekend. Check them out at staceyarchery.com. You wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
From your user name, sounds like daddy shoots a Hoyt. Why not start her off with a hoyt Banshee? I got one for my son and he loves it. I got the older wheel cams, not the new versa cam 1/2, it was cheaper.
Plenty of adjustment, really zings those arrows and makes 'em stick in the target (when he hits it!)
It's a great bow and he likes the fact that it's a Hoyt like dad's bow.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
Problem with most of the bow's including the banshi is when you adjust the draw length you also change the draw weight. Not so with the Stacie bows!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
cool pic

That is a good picture of your son Ratfart. I can't wait to get my girls started shooting with me. ;)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thanks all,
My 5 year old shoots a Browning Micro Midas II that is pulling 12# at 18".
He was pretty proud of this group he shot at about 15 yds.

I agree that the Stacey is a nice bow but it's more $$ than the others. You can pick up a used Browning Micro Midas or Hoyt Banshee pretty cheap right here on the classifieds or check your local bow shop. They are very adjustable and can grow with them for a long time.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts