Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this at the local shop and all ready ordered one for my press. They are called " Limb Guards " by ATC
( Archery Tooling Corp ) 631-838-2190 or www.archerytooling.com. They mount easily on the press without having to modify anything. They make sure the bow can not slip or move while it is in the press. No more worrying about my Omen slipping downward and out of the fingers while compressed in the bow press. I paid $220.00 plus shipping. I believe they are well worth the peace of mind with the added safety.
DFA
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Tire Bicycle part
Window Picture frame Wall Wood Sports equipment

·
Registered
53,548 Posts
Part of the reason you bow slips down is because the fingers are tipped to far in. They need to be more upright. It looks weird to start but it works 100% better when pressure is applied. Learned this working with EZ presses in the shop for many years.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Archery tooling makes very high quality equipment.

Reactions: DFA

·
Registered
152 Posts
Better be careful pressing a bow like that. You run into many of the same issues the old apple presses had with the rollers. Which was that adding a secondary contact/pressure point will result in pressure to the center of the limbs instead of just at the limb tips, and you run the risk, depending on the limb design/angle, of cracking your limbs at that secondary point. Or, at the very least, damaging the limbs just from adding all that pressure in the center of the limbs instead of just at the limb tips where it is normal.

Limbs naturally do not have pressure in those center locations, which will always be a risk. You also risk adding odd pressure to your riser since that bar has no adjustment like the fingers do that can move forward/back depending on the limbs.

I like the idea of having something to help keep those sketchy limb styles in the fingers, but I don't feel like I could trust that bar not to damage my bow limbs in specific scenarios since it doesn't give at all. As you press the bow that bar is going to press harder and harder into the limbs and eventually you'll get a bow with a limb style that as you press it breaks limbs.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part of the reason you bow slips down is because the fingers are tipped to far in. They need to be more upright. It looks weird to start but it works 100% better when pressure is applied. Learned this working with EZ presses in the shop for many years.
Better be careful pressing a bow like that. You run into many of the same issues the old apple presses had with the rollers. Which was that adding a secondary contact/pressure point will result in pressure to the center of the limbs instead of just at the limb tips, and you run the risk, depending on the limb design/angle, of cracking your limbs at that secondary point. Or, at the very least, damaging the limbs just from adding all that pressure in the center of the limbs instead of just at the limb tips where it is normal.

Limbs naturally do not have pressure in those center locations, which will always be a risk. You also risk adding odd pressure to your riser since that bar has no adjustment like the fingers do that can move forward/back depending on the limbs.

I like the idea of having something to help keep those sketchy limb styles in the fingers, but I don't feel like I could trust that bar not to damage my bow limbs in specific scenarios since it doesn't give at all. As you press the bow that bar is going to press harder and harder into the limbs and eventually you'll get a bow with a limb style that as you press it breaks limbs.
That is true but you don't make full contact with the limbs until completely compressed then move limb guards to touch the limbs. The part that touches the limbs has springs that compress instead of pushing on the belly of the limb.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That process with the fingers more upright does not work with most over parallel limb designs.

·
<------Reese
Hoyt Ventum 33 and KI Swat X1
19,473 Posts
Not sure these would work on my Specialty press. I have issues with the newer Mathews and actually had one slip out. Fortunately, no damage to the bow, but probably took a few years off my life!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure these would work on my Specialty press. I have issues with the newer Mathews and actually had one slip out. Fortunately, no damage to the bow, but probably took a few years off my life!
Made for LCA presses.....
Neat idea, wish I had had these when I had my past parallel limb bows.... How are these attached to the arms of the press? Clamp ons or ?

lee.
They clamp on but you can also bolt them on.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, I was considering a speciality archery pro press because I thought it would be a safer press than one that presses at the limb tips due to the slipping they have occasionally....
Take a look at the ATC Slider press it has these Limb Guards already attached from the factory. It is probably the safest press on the market for compounds or crossbows.

·
<------Reese
19,473 Posts
Oh well, I was considering a speciality archery pro press because I thought it would be a safer press than one that presses at the limb tips due to the slipping they have occasionally....
Unless I am doing something wrong, I have to set the limb ears pointed slightly down. As you compress the limbs it basically pushes the bow down. There are straps to secure it, but they started slipping. I need to call Specialty and see if they have any suggestions. Otherwise, it is a great press.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Unless I am doing something wrong, I have to set the limb ears pointed slightly down. As you compress the limbs it basically pushes the bow down. There are straps to secure it, but they started slipping. I need to call Specialty and see if they have any suggestions. Otherwise, it is a great press.
You need the hooks that fit between the split limbs for the Specialty Press. It was a original piece of equipment when the press was called the Accu Archery Pro press. I could stand on a bow and not have it slip out.
There are other ways to secure a bow also.
pressing a Hoyt
Just curious not being critical but have you watched all the videos for this press?

I have pressed Mathews , Hoyts, Elites many older PSEs with XForce limbs and crossbows with that press.
PM if you need to.

·
<------Reese
19,473 Posts
You need the hooks that fit between the split limbs for the Specialty Press. It was a original piece of equipment when the press was called the Accu Archery Pro press. I could stand on a bow and not have it slip out.
There are other ways to secure a bow also.
pressing a Hoyt
Just curious not being critical but have you watched all the videos for this press?

I have pressed Mathews , Hoyts, Elites many older PSEs with XForce limbs and crossbows with that press.
PM if you need to.
I tried getting those limb clips, but Specialty no longer makes them.

You had sent me some videos before that I watched. The limb pockets on the Mathews don’t have the rockers like the Hoyt does, so can’t mount it that way.

Have you pressed any of the new V3X bows without the limb clips? If so, what settings did you use?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have not pressed a V3X. The last Mathews I pressed was a TRX 8. I think I just slid the bow riser right onto the posts. . Im pretty sure I used clips. The metal ones shown in the videos. I dont press any bow without the limb clips.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
That process with the fingers more upright does not work with most over parallel limb designs.
Does for my FT - and you can't get more past parallel limbs than that....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actual it does work. As I said having used these presses almost from day one it does work.
Does for my FT - and you can't get more past parallel limbs than that....
[/QUOTE

I posted this because of the added safety factor the limb guards add. This is not a post talking about how well any particular bow press works. It's about added safety. When you put a bow in the press and remove the string and cables and then remove the bow from the press the limbs will be completely straight. Now when you put the bow back into the press and start to compress the bow again you will see that the limbs start to walk down the fingers. This is where it starts to get dangerous. This is when the limb guards come into play and will stop the bow from sliding out. Anyone who has taken a bow out of the press without string and cables to replace a limb, etc. and then put it back into the press to re install the string and cables has seen the limbs move down the fingers.
The idea is to place the limb guards out under the limbs as you compress the bow. You don't have to have them actually touch the limbs until the bow is completely compressed. The limb guard pads have springs in them that compress as you press the bow preventing the guards from pressing hard against the belly of the limbs. I probably should not have said " doesn't work on most past parallel limb bows " should have said there is a safer way of doing it. I forgot I was dealing with AT..... No good deed goes unpunished.

Again this post is not about what presses will work or will not work on which bows. It's about an added safety feature...... that's all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts