Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all archers.
I live in Glendale Arizona and for the past 5 years I have tried to open an outdoor Archery range in Glendale. I met with the local Council member at the time but he would not support the idea or thought of an archery range. Long story short. I am working with City Council and the Mayor of Glendale to open our very first outdoor range. Council and Mayor have approved City Staff to research the range. So far its going in the right direction. The city is having a community meeting to see if Archery is a sport popular enough to open a range in one of our Parks. I have asked that the range be built at the Heros Park located at 83rd Ave and Bethany Home Road in Glendale. We have lots of support. What I need from all of the archeres to attend the community meeting that will be held in late January. If you can make it please email me your comments or comment on this fourm. Need your support. The Range will be a self serve Range and won't cost anyone to use. I need as many outdoors men and women to show up. I will post the location of the meeting and the details in a few days.
Thank You,
Jamie Aldama
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
A valient effort, but with the Ben Avery Shooting Facility being so close to Glendale, would Glendale really wish to risk the expense of competing with an established class A shooting range just a few miles away?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Have you stopped by all the shops and put up a flier of some sort to inform all the local shooters of your efforts and to gain their support? This is the first I've heard of this and I'm a Glendale local.
If no one knows, know one can help.
Roy

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
You can count me in, but You did know there was an outdoor facility at 75th Ave and Thomas, that The City of Phoenix just renovated, right? Your proposed site is only 3 miles away and that facility is not usually full by any means. You need to be fully prepared at the communty meeting with the reasoning behind opening another range, so close to that one. So what I'm really saying is that I'll help you and support you, but I think you're going to get shot down due to that facility. The Ben Avery range won't be as much an obstacle, do to it's location, being much farther.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I would suspect that the real issue is not that of whether archery is popular enough to support a range, but one of whether the range and it's popularity will make the city's liability insurance go up and whether it's justifiable to make the public bear that increase......especially if there is no range at any other park. they just might be using the question of "archery's popularity" to be a pheasable reason to support a range, because they know people won't want to support the increase in city taxes, for the liability insurance, or the liability itself, in an other wise un-chaperoned public location.....to much chance for young kids to get hurt.....especially if the park gets allot of general use. if they don't get allot of response to the "use question", it's an easy way out of having to assume the liability of constructing the range......typical political , "lying with the truth"
"use at your own risk" unfortunately, doesn't carry much water these days, and when you add some sort of "dangerous weapon" in a public situation, you're asking for an upfill battle. they go along with the planning peacefully enough, because you have the right to speak and generate improvements to your community, until it comes down to the final vote to get the ball rolling, then the red flags will come out.
just be warned that you can expect this sort of thing to happen.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You can count me in, but You did know there was an outdoor facility at 75th Ave and Thomas, that The City of Phoenix just renovated, right?
Wow, I did not know the El Oso Park archery range had been renovated. It's been a little while (10+ years) since I lived in N. PHX...

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Wow, I did not know the El Oso Park archery range had been renovated. It's been a little while (10+ years) since I lived in N. PHX...
Yes, covered patio areas with benchs. 20, 30 and 40 yard targets. You can bring your own targets and shoot to 100 yards. A lot of traditional shooters go there on Sundays dressed up in midevil garb. Nice folks and fun to shoot with even though I shoot compound.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
This is the first I've heard of it as well.

Like others have said, you need to get flyers out to the various shops. Corner Archery at 51st and Glendale would be the best bet to start it off. Also get it to Ross Outdoors and Arizona Archery Club.

You also need to get in contact with the two major state organizations - USA Archery Arizona and the ABFAA. They will also get in touch with their members and could get people to speak at the Glendale board meeting as well.

Facebook is also your friend.

And, finally, if you have a plan to have an archery club use that proposed range as it's "home" club, get the club paperwork started now. USA Archery Arizona has a Level 2 instructor class in January via Corner Archery, or a Level 2 class in March through Solutions in Archery that will fulfill the minimum instructor/coach requirements for a Junior Olympic club.

If you need statistics and other items, these resources I've named are going to be key to getting you some level of success. It helped get the Oro Valley range going.

If you need more info, email me offline. Syarchery at gmail.

Hope this helps,
-Steve

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Okay...more information on this (from a 30,000 foot view AND without blowing up any current discussions going on....)

1) USA Archery Arizona and Corner Archery (the closest archery pro-shop) have already had meetings with Erik Strunk, Executive Director of Glendale Parks and Recreation and Chris Gallagher, Recreation Manager of Glendale Parks and Recreation

2) The range would go out to roughly 70 meters

3) They need a JOAD type club to go in. This will help with the approval immensely.

4) The range is considered TEMPORARY until money and the Park's master plan goes forward

5) Public Meeting: Wednesday, January 15 – 5:30pm at the proposed site and an Archery Demonstration/Public Meeting: Saturday, January 25 – 11:00am at the proposed site. Corner Archery will be in charge of handling the demonstration and will provide staff and archers accordingly.

FYI - Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Archery Range in glendale az follow up

Calling all archers.
I live in Glendale Arizona and for the past 5 years I have tried to open an outdoor Archery range in Glendale. I met with the local Council member at the time but he would not support the idea or thought of an archery range. Long story short. I am working with City Council and the Mayor of Glendale to open our very first outdoor range. Council and Mayor have approved City Staff to research the range. So far its going in the right direction. The city is having a community meeting to see if Archery is a sport popular enough to open a range in one of our Parks. I have asked that the range be built at the Heros Park located at 83rd Ave and Bethany Home Road in Glendale. We have lots of support. What I need from all of the archeres to attend the community meeting that will be held in late January. If you can make it please email me your comments or comment on this fourm. Need your support. The Range will be a self serve Range and won't cost anyone to use. I need as many outdoors men and women to show up. I will post the location of the meeting and the details in a few days.
Thank You,
Jamie Aldama
[email protected]
Im following up with the original post regarding the Archery Range in Glendale. It was approved by City Council and is in the process of being bilt. Most of which will come from private doners. Thank you all for your help! the range will serve anyone however it will serve the Glendale residents. Oso park in Phoenix does have a range but Glendale will have their own. Please check back for the soon to open Archery Range. Thanks for all the replies and help. see the link for the on site demo we had.www.yourwestvalley.com/glendale/article_cea04a34-900b-11e3-852a...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts