Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just got back into archery after a 15 year break.
Dad got an upgrade, brother took his and I got the Ole' Nova.
I have changed out the sights (to TR Matrix), the release (to Mongoose), and started at 60#, now up to 65#.

While primarily a hunting set-up, I was invited to shoot 3-D this past week on open night. There were 3 other Compound and 1 Stick-bow shooter (all blue stakes). I shot white, only having shot at home at the bag for about 3 weeks (every other 3rd night or so). Due to time available and light conditions we skipped 5 targets.

I ended up shooting last each round so I would not have to walk through and retreat, making the other archers wait, so I had a bit of an advantage in getting to never shoot first. The other guys seemed to think I did pretty well for my set-up.

I shot a 223 out of 250 (white stakes), 1 less than the nights winner (blue stakes). That a fair score?

I'll probably be upgrading the bow next year, but the PSE Nova is definately a forgiving bow. I can hit the bag where I want pretty consistently, even though I still have to work hard on my form.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
good start

Yup, good score for just starting out. Keep at it and before you know it you'll be placing.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shootstraight said:
Yup, good score for just starting out. Keep at it and before you know it you'll be placing.
It was really fun. Very different shooting at Crocs, Javelina, Turkey, and more. Let alone across creeks, and through foilage (not dense).
I got a little messed up on the two Deer 3D. The 10/12 ring was not where I would have traditionally shot. It was a bit high and back a bit, more a lunger than heart shot. I also misjudged the distance on the leaning bear (leaning sideways into a tree while standing), I thought he was farther than he was and ended up a little high into the '5s'.

Unfortunately the nearest course is about 40 minutes away and the one I went to last week was over an hour. :sad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts