Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to archery. I've been shooting for about 3 months now. Started with a Mission Riot and (1.5 weeks later) bought a fantastic Vantage Elite off this site. I was just wondering after being on Archery Talk now for a while and checking up on it daily, do archers have some innate hatred of punctuation and spelling? ;)

·
Registered
19,025 Posts
To much time was spent shooting arrows instead of paying attention to English.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you think AT is bad.....take a look at ARF com! They don't use complete sentences, minimal punctuation, and some use words that are not in a dictionary.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Funny. Yeah, I'm not even talking about the finer points of grammar or anything. Just a period now and again!

There was one post that had to be at least 1000 words long and I swear to you there was not one period in the entire thing people couldn't even follow what this guy was saying which was hilarious actually because he was asking for help but all the replies were just people complaining they couldn't understand a word this guy was saying it was like it wasn't even english I actually had a great time reading all the replies and got a good laugh out of it the more I read these postings the more I see that I mean I have to actually think to type like this see I want to insert an exclamation point there to emphasize my point but that would be contradictory to the point I'm trying to make man this is not easy I've had to hit the delete button at least a dozen times to go back and get rid of my periods I guess it takes real skill to write like this maybe its like new math or something and I'm just not up on the times

PERIOD.
:)

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I know that I never use capitols....too much bother...... I also never learned how to type formally, either, so my typing is, "finger pecking", which makes using the shift key all the time, a PIA. typing, wasn't a, "normal curriculum", for a male student during the time I went to high school. .....only girls learned to type, guys that took typing were, "geeks and girly-boys". little did I realize, how backwards that attitude was, at that time.
I do however, know the English language, and most of my posts are understandable....... because I take the time to re-read them before posting them....which is the problem,...IMHO.
what I see so much of, is that people simply do not know plain ole' grammar well enough, to put a sentence together that has the flow that is necessary to be cohersive and make reasonable sense. allot of the posts I see have to be read 2 or 3 times, before you can figure out what the poster is saying.
I can remember when my kids were in school and they had me read a paper they just wrote, I would point out areas that were hard to understand and they would get all wound up and tell me i'm too, picky, grab the paper from me and stomp away. it seems young people simply just don't want to, "learn to be intelligent", any more.

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
I think it has to do with the fact that now a whole generation has grown up on texting. All rules go out the window for text messages. But this old man cannot seem to learn new tricks. I need a capital letter to show me when a new thought begins and a period at the end of a sentence would be nice.

Doug

·
AllGrownUp
1,093 Posts
I know that I never use capitols....too much bother...... I also never learned how to type formally, either, so my typing is, "finger pecking", which makes using the shift key all the time, a PIA. typing, wasn't a, "normal curriculum", for a male student during the time I went to high school. .....only girls learned to type, guys that took typing were, "geeks and girly-boys". little did I realize, how backwards that attitude was, at that time.
There are free typing programs that you can download and use to learn correct finger placement and typing on a keyboard. I got one for my dad a few years ago(got tired of watching him peck around and take 3 hours to write a paragraph) and in a few weeks he was typing much, much faster. Its not hard at all just very repetitive.

·
Banned
622 Posts
I don't even attempt to read posts that have no punctuation. Then there is (.......) guy, these dudes overpunctuate and never use a comma. The ones that really irritate me are the ones that don't know the difference between; they're, their, there; and then/than.
And then there is preposition guy, who insists on ending sentences with a preposition. "where at?", " where are you gonna go to?", "where do you live at?"

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, love these replies, all of them. :) Great sense of humor and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I was just wondering if it was me.

Thanks all!
And Cheers!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Lack of edumacation= poor spelling/grammar = no occupation/job= more time to shoot arrows. Good thing we all married well with wives willing to go to work to support us. Obviously none of us have jobs!

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
...do archers have some innate hatred of punctuation and spelling? ;)
There/their/they're, it's/its knot/not a big deal. Your/You're over-reacting. Go knock/nock some arrows.

It drives me nuts. I can see the occasional misspelling and what-not, but some of the stuff here is just horrible. And if you mention it, they'll say "U no wht I mean, you grammar Nazi!" Well, um... actually, no, 1/2 the time, I don't know what you mean! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts