Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first bow. The thought is that I'll target shot with my kid and maybe one day go hunting. The hard part was finding a bow with a long draw length. I went with the PSE Freak. Now I need to get it ready to shoot. Any suggestions as to what I should add? I believe I have a solid release already I'm going to try the TruFire Hardcore max with the hook like thing not the clamp type version but it's also not the new chicken wing design. Any tips at all on adjusting this would be helpful also? Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you still need sights & and a rest I would say don't go cheap. I had a friend that did and ended up having to replace things because they broke or he hated them. Get a quality sight & rest new, or even on the classifieds here. It will be better in the long run. Most have lifetime warranty along with it. Make sure to shoot proper spine arrows too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sounds like you are going to need quite a bit of help. Take it to a pro shop, buy accessories, arrows, maybe strings, etc. from them, they will help get you squared away.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thought I'd save a few bucks buying good pre-owned owed gear then taking everything to pro shop as apposed to starting there and buying everything used. Is that a bad approach?
I wouldn't tell them that LOL. Just say you got it that way, but plan on buying something (release, arrows, target, etc) from the shop. Things will go more smoothly that way IMO.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy used, save a bunch of money then use part of the savings to pay a pro shop to set it up for you. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're paying for the service and not expecting it for free :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Congrats on buying the Freak, great bow! Buy used off archery talk. Get top of the line equipment. I would get a used HHA sight. They will warranty it. I would find a DS 5510, or a Kingpin if you can afford it! A QAD drop away rest is probably the most popular rest, but any good drop away is ok.
I would seriously look at buying a good bow press and learning to tune your bow (and son's) you will save a ton of money in the long run! Not to mention the drive to the shop and wait. Look at all the posts on AT about the horrors of the bow shop, lucky if they do it right. They can't do it correctly unless you are the one shooting the bow! Plenty of good folks on here that will help you with arrow advice and tuning too! Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I recently picked up a bare PSE Freak and have really enjoyed getting it set up. A few additions I've made that I found to have made a great addition are a KTech String Stop with 5" carbon rod (not the side bar model, that would be awesome though if you can afford it), Ktech Tech1 Stabilers for back of the bow (the vibration is extremely low to start with on the Freak but these made a difference I didn't know was possible), and a 15" shadow stabilzer for the front. I personally use a Fuse sight with a specialty hooded peep and 2x clarifier but find what works for you. HHA as previously said by another member makes amazing sights and the warranty is good even if you buy second hand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love shooting this thing! Just to get started I went with a whisker biscuit it's the quick shot by trophy ridge . I've been really curious about drop away rest. I wish I could test gear out before buying. For the sight I chose the TruGlo TSX Pro Series 5 pin. No stab yet but for the 20 yards I've been shooting I'm not sure I need one. I've been complemented on how quite this bow is but I no clue how to gauge that myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.