Archery Talk Forum banner

New archer need help with bow setup.

703 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  RRam
This is my first post on archery talk. I recently got into Archery. Started shooting recurve bow rented at range I shoot at. Then went ahead and bought a new 2015 Hoyt Charger and have been shooting this for about 6 months now and indoor target only. Since I am interested in Target archery I when ahead and bought a 2014 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite (Spiral Cams) from AT member which I received it yesterday and in the process of setting up.

My Current Setup
Bow: 2015 Hoyt Charger
Draw weight: 53#
Draw Length: 27.5
Rest: Drop Away Rest.
Stabilizer: none
Release: TRU Ball Inside Out (Bought here on AT)
Arrows: ICS BowHunter 400
Sight: Sureloc with 2x lens (Bought here on AT)

My New Setup
Bow: 2014 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite
Draw weight: 50#
Draw Length: 27.5
Stabilizer: None
Rest: Trophy Taker Pro Blade Rest.
Release: TRU Ball Inside Out (Bought here on AT)
Arrows: ICS BowHunter 400 ()
Sight: Sureloc with 2x lens (Bought here on AT)

Here are my item I am looking to buy a new set of string and stabilizer.
1) What should I be looking for when buying new string (I got string specs from you tuning charts) like what should the string material be?
2) For stabilizer I was thinking starting with 24” long stabilizer. I know it’s personal preference, but would that be good length for a front stabilizer to start with?

Thank you
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
In my opinion I believe that 24" would be to short, I use a 30" on my PCE xl and it feels very comfortable to me. I would suggest a 27"-33". I really can't help on the strings, my local shop has a custom pre-stretched string maker so I have not had to worry about that yet :)

· Registered
1,050 Posts
In my opinion I believe that 24" would be to short, I use a 30" on my PCE xl and it feels very comfortable to me. I would suggest a 27"-33". I really can't help on the strings, my local shop has a custom pre-stretched string maker so I have not had to worry about that yet :)

On the other hand --- thus far you haven't shot with stabs.

Consider getting something shorter like the 15" B-Stinger. It is a lot cheaper than going with a longer stab. And when you are ready to go with front and back stabs, you can move the 15" stab to the back -- dual utility out of a single purchase.

Just a thought.

FWIW -- I have one bow set up with 15" front and back. Another with 30" out front and 15" in back.
The short stabs I use in the outdoors -- less to catch the wind. The long stabs I use indoors.

· Registered
188 Posts
RRam,

I was in the exact same boat as you are in just a few weeks ago. I started with a hunting setup I shot for a few months and quickly jumped to a target setup. I also purchased a PCE with Spiral cams.

As for Stabilizers there are some GREAT deals you can find here on AT (as I am sure you know). Look around, be patient and don't rush into it. Wait till you think you found a great deal and pounce. I was able to get a fantastic deal on Stabs, mounts, weight etc all in one deal and I couldn't be happier right now. Ideally you would want 27-33 for the front and 10-15 for the rear, so anything in those ranges you should be good with. The shorter the Stabilizer the more weight you need on it to get the same balance. I wouldn't get too hung up on the sizes, just find the best deal you can within those ranges and roll with it. B-Stingers are great as are Doinker. I myself got a set of Spider Archery and I think they are pretty awesome. Shadow stabilizers are really good too, they are cost effective and many people rave about them. Whatever the brand, just find the best deal you can and roll (yeah I know beating the same dead horse).

As for Custom Strings, I am not too knowledgeable about materials but mainly you hear about BCY 8190, 452x and X talked about. I do not have the level of skill or familiarity yet to even know which is better and why but as far as bowstring makers there are tons of them on here. 60X is a popular company, and you cannot go wrong with Bow String Depot either from all the reviews. I myself am going to try a set from 60X once I need to replace my strings.

Hope that helped some.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you every one for you replies. Looks like its 30 inch stabilizer is what I need to start with. I looked at shadow stabilizers and like them. There is one listed in classifieds. Can you any point me to article how to setup a stabilizer and when and how to decide to use a size stabilizer. I am currently reading Nuts & Bolts of archery.

· Registered
188 Posts
Thank you every one for you replies. Looks like its 30 inch stabilizer is what I need to start with. I looked at shadow stabilizers and like them. There is one listed in classifieds. Can you any point me to article how to setup a stabilizer and when and how to decide to use a size stabilizer. I am currently reading Nuts & Bolts of archery.
I personally found both of these links extremely helpful for general information and for setup:
http://www.archerylearningcenter.com/blog/stabilizers
https://rcrchery.wordpress.com/2014/07/06/balancing-act/

· Registered
6,267 Posts
As for the string a lot of good makers on here I personally like bcy x. 452x will serve you well also.
As for stabilizers if want a set with a long front rule is match your draw length the from stab length so a 28in would serve you well as for the back the longer the bar the less weight that is required to achieve the feel you desire and also not be to long as to be in your way or hitting you as the rear a 10,12, or 14 in would work well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.