Archery Talk Forum banner

New Archer Needs Help Selecting Arrows

443 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  MichHunter
I am a new archer (have not even shot a bow yet). I recently got a new GT-500 (29/70), and a Scott release, and I now need to get some arrows (among other things). It will be used primarily for hunting.

How do I determine what length arrow to use (can I get them pre-cut, or do I need to also get an arrow cutter?)?

And, how strong (spine, weight, etc.) of a shaft should I get?

Any help appreciated, Doug.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
you really need to go somewhere where you can draw your bow with an uncut arrow on it to figure how long you want it. Unless, somebody on here with the same spec'd GTO can help you out. Otherwise your basically guessing at what length arrow you need. With that in mind, you gotta figure out how much you want to spend. 340 spine is probably the range you'll be in for that weight, from there you can pick the weight arrow you want. I shoot Easton ST Epic's and for the price they are hard to beat and i have them fletched with 2" blazer vanes. It doesn't cost much to get arrows cut so i wouldn't spend money on a saw unless you plan on opening a shop.

· Registered
4,453 Posts
All arrow manufacturers have selection guides. Easton, Gold Tip, Carbon express, are a few popular ones. :darkbeer:

I recommend getting fitted and set up, at an archery pro shop, then you can study and learn from there. :wink:

Some other options are to order from a place like Lancaster Archery Supply. You can give them your specs and and they will help you select arrows and cut and fletch them. :)

The most important thing to know is to make sure the spine of the shafts are not too weak for your bow, so you don't send a shaft through your arm. :eek:

· Registered
211 Posts
I dont shoot a drop away like the limb driver, but all i hear is good things about it. I think after the season is over i will switch over to the limb driver! There are plenty of GT500 owners on here so im surprised one of them hasnt chimed in yet, but im sure they will. There is so much help on here, just search around and spend some time on here, you surely will benefit from this site.

· Registered
405 Posts
Gold Tip Pro Hunters seem to be the one my friends and I keep going back to. We are finding that if it works well why try the new stuff. At least for our arrows right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.