Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
Well,
Im new to the sport, and I purchased an older(maybe 1997ish) Martin Firecat M—44 compound. My questions are probably pretty typical, but I thought this would be an excellent place to learn.
The bow is fairly stock. It a has what appears to be an older sight system which has 4 pins .. I'm basically looking for some suggestions on what upgrades I should look into, kind of in order of importance. I purchased a "straight shot 7 inch stabilizer, just because it was on sale and I heard that’s a good first up grade. Im shooting Easton 2018 XX75 Aluminium arrows with 100 grain broad heads. I heard Carbon is the way to go for arrows these days??? What’s a good name brand for a Carbon arrow. Im also looking for suggestions into arrow rests, sight upgrades, any anything else that might be an excellent upgrade for a beginner. I appreciate everyones time and suggestions. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
hay man welcome to the site. first of all i would take a really serious look at the arrow rest. you dont say what you currently have, if any at all. so here is my suggestion. archery isnt cheap so dont cringe at the prices. for a good arrow rest get a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone. it acts like an overdraw and you can shoot a shorter arrow thus meaning a faster arrow. carbon is indeed the way to go extremely durable and light. you never have to worry about shooting a bent arrow either, cuz they would crack and splinter. ps dont shoot a fractured carbon either. for a good carbon easton makes a pretty whicked carbon and so is the $$$ behind em'. head to your local pro shop and get some expert advise from them on good arrows. you can easily be overwhelmed with all of the choices. as well with sights, it really depends on what are you going to do. if you shooting from elevated positions i would suggest a pendulum sight. they take all of the guess work out of the shot. as for which one to choose it all depends on if you have a budget. but TR makes an excellent pendulum sight. when shooting from an elevated position, never loose you anchor points. all you have to do is bend at the stomach, then you wont loose your anchor points. what release are you using? you dont mention it in you post, so all i have to say is take a seriously long look at the carter line up. they make some extremely good releases. and at a fairly decent price. i wonder if im the first, oh well. anchery is a great sport and is completely uncomplicated. it is the archery behind the bow that complicates things. ill post some links to form threads and even some releases shortly. may your arrows fly straight, and true. and happey shooting.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Welcome to our passion of Archery....:wink: by the way kudo's on your selection of the Martin line of bows..... you'll love them. To start with before you run out and buy a ton of expensive products do research and ask tons of questions :secret: Try friends, dealers, shops set-ups first and see wht they feel like :confused: We all have our own priorities and will select a different set=up than the next guy; but what you have to do is find what suits and feels best for you. Depending on if it's going to be a Target Bow, Hunting Bow will also make a difference in your selection process. In short and with out rattleing on do what's the best for you and take your time, don't rush out and buy just to have a complete set-up. You'll get stuck with a expensive set-up you won't like after all. :zip: If you read my signature you'll see what I would suggest; but that's a choice you'll have to make.
Good Luck and Welcome to the Martin Family

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, Martin makes a great bow. I have owned many of the others and have returned to Martin. A good sight is a Spot-Hogg Bare Bones or a Real Deal. They are top draw and have micro adjustable pins. They are only a few dollars more than some of the others. As for arrows, a great hunting arrow is the Easton Axis. It is the toughest arrow I have ever shot. It is not light, but is probably lighter than your aluminum is.

I would have your Firecat check out. I would probably get a good string and cables on it and try to get it into specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts