Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone has ever seen a magazine devoted to target shooting. I think a magazine that would reveiw different 3d courses, spot shooting places, where to shoot, reveiews on target equipment, interveiws with the pros and so on would be a good magazine. I do archery hunt but that is only for two months a year and i only get off onsaturdays. so i hunt at least 8 days a year sometimes more if i get out of work early. So most of my time is dedicated to target shooting so where is the magazine?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
3-d times

they do mainly 3-d but that is the only one i know of. easton94

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
there are many magizines each with its own different content. I have yet to see many interviews with pros. Would be nice to see it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Join the NFAA or Naa and you will get a subscription to such mags bi- monthly. I know that there is a european magazine which is strictly a target venue and more so for FITA shooters worldwide. I know it kind of sucks that we don't have such forms of media here in the states. I think we would have a lot more shooters and a lot more interst in the sport if we could show the people what we do!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The magazines that seem to be dedicated to target shooting that I have seen are:

Archery Focus
Archery (NFAA's magazine)
USArcher
USA Archery (NAA's magazine)
Glade (from overseas)

·
Registered
24 Posts
We get 4 of the 5 magazines listed above.

Archery Focus - began as a target magazine but now has changed to include hunting, longbow building, etc. Good articles on equipment and shooting technique.

US and International Archer - mainly tournament scores

USA Archery - First issue out by the NAA and is similar to the old Nock Nock. Did have an article on Vic Wunderle

The Glade - From Great Britain. a bit pricey but the best of the lot. Broad range of non-hunting article. Good longbow coverage. Best articles by experts.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I have a subscription to Archery Focus but will not renew it. The articles are shallow and short. IMHO not worth the money.

Automan

·
Registered
62 Posts
I rather must agree with Automan. However, I will continue to renew until I've checked out some of the above rags. The ArcheryFocus reviews often seem more like advertisements. It would be nice to see more comparison articles.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The very best archery magazines are unfortunately not published in English. The absolute best magazine is Archery published in Japan. Nothing else approaches it for technical content.

Bogensport published in Germany is quite good as well.

These magazines are head and shoulders above any others worldwide.

Of the three English language publications available (The Glade(UK), The Bow(UK), Archery Focus(USA)) The Glade is far and away the best, but it pales in comparison to the two foreign language publications I mentioned. The Bow is nicely produced and looks good but the articles are generally poor. Archery Focus is mostly fluff.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd like to see something good too!!!
I let my subscrip. to AF lapse, as GT said - its a bunch of fluff!

How hard is Japanese to learn? LMAO

Sean

·
Occam's Razor
9,054 Posts
I agree that "the Glade" is the best of choice, since I don't read or write Japanese or German will leave those to GT...........

Archery Focus......I subscribe but question why each time I get one..........enough with the training articles from that girl. Best feature is Larry Bassham, might buy his stuff and cancel the mag.

NFAA's magazine, "Archery" is also light, but lots of scores.....

"Primitive Archery" if you like that kind of longbow stuff....

It's a shame that these are the best of the lot, pick up a Sporting Clay's Magazine sometimes, and see what we need.............ck

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I just had a brilliant idea!!!

Maybe George and Terry, or GT himself could start a worthwhile mag pertaining to target equipment and events.
A little salesmanship should surely get plenty of advertising.

Sean

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
okay - so what's the link to the Glade?
GT - Shall we assume that you speak Japanese?
Is the mag written in Kanji/Katakana/Hirigana or Romanji?
Nihongo wa skoshi hanasemasu:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hey Mike, was that Japanese for "GT uses Magnocks when nobody is looking?" lol!!!

GT, I wonder if the Japanese were aware of a decent market here, would they consider a translated version for us english abusing folks?

Sean

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Mike,

You mean sukoshi, gotta have that oo sound.

Me too. Enough to eat and find my way around, anyhow.

Sean, thats what Archery Focus was originally intended to become. Obviously it did not work out that way.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
GT - it's been a few years.....I'm rusty. I'll get a refresher in about 2 more months though. .Going to Okinawa for 3 years.

Bowbender - LMAO

·
Registered
788 Posts
the bow magazine in the last 2 editions has really come to life, it now concentrates on todays equipment and the tuning and shooting of it.check it out at
www.bownet.com
the glade is another good read as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't think so many people would reply. If a new mag comes from this iwant the rights. I maybe should patent this idea so i can become a millonare lol. If iknew how to do it i would sure start and run with it some ideas or poeple to talk to lrt me know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts