Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently bought new arrows and changed what I was shooting. I shoot Easton's because I have always had really good performance out of them. I was shooting Carbon Epic C2 400's, now I shoot Epic ST 400's. I shoot with a 3 pin PSE Top Gun sight, with the C2's the top pin was good to almost 25 yards, second pin got me out to around 40 yards, and the bottom pin was good to almost 60 yards. Now I am shooting off of the bottom pin and having to aim a little high to hit bullseyes at 25 yards. My local bow shop tells me that if I switch over to an 85 grain set up instead of the 100 grain set up that I currently use on field points and broadheads that everything will probably go back to where it was when I was shooting the C2's. Will I loose a lot of energy doing that though? Would I be better off just readjusting everything and sticking to the 100 grain set up?:usa:

·
Registered
971 Posts
just resight it, its cheaper
Cheers
Peter

·
2 cams + 4 cables = X
3,403 Posts
2 differences in the arrows....

The ST 400s are thinner in diameter and heavier than the prior model Epics. I noticed the increase in grain per inch weight when the new ads came out. I shoot the old model Epic 400s myself. Thankfully, I bought an extra dozen last winter, so I'll be OK through at least this season. I don't want to go to a heavier arrow, so I'll have to figure out what to shoot when the time comes.

The heavier weight is only half your problem. Because of the thinner diameter, your new arrows are likely pointing more downward on the rest than the larger diameter ones did. (Assuming youu didn't already adjust your rest) You'll need to drop your nock set, or raise your arrow rest up to get your new arrows even at full draw. once you do that, you'll probably find your 25 yard pin closer to correct, but it will probably still need some adjustment. Then, you will need to reset your pins, because the heavier weight of the new shafts will make a difference.

I don't think the suggestion to go to an 85 grain head is a good one. I assume they said that because the shaft weight difference from the old to new is ~15 grains. But shooting a lighter point will make the arrow spine stiffer, so that could throw all kinds of things out of whack.

Hope this helps,

Darren

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
dgmeadows has his head on right. Very good info and suggestions on his part.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I readjusted this afternoon and got back to where I was shooting. I still need to do a little minor tweaking but I have my elevation back up.
Now I've got to sort out another problem that only time on the range will cure. I took the spring and the summer off from shooting to help my son get ready for football this fall and it shows. I started out shooting @ 25 yards the past two afternoons laying down the first 4 shots I put 3 in the bullseyes, the fourth was probably with in an inch of being there. I thought this isn't to bad. I guess muscle fatigue sets in after that because from then on I am all over the place.:embara: :sad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts