Archery Talk Forum banner

New arrows -- Overcoming the fear of commitment

1249 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jmvargas
I have spent a lot of money on archery equipment over the past few years but the one investment I have avoided -- until today -- is good arrows. I am currently shooting the same Gold Tip Expedition Hunters that I got when I first started shooting. They have been great indoors and I plan to continue using them for that venue.

Anyway, I finally decided that the old arrows were just not going to make it at 90 M -- I was going to need either faster arrows or heavier limbs. Faster arrows won.

(I am a barebow stringwalker using 44.5 lbs on the fingers to go 90 M -- I have to aim off the shelf at the top of the bale to get there. I also have a bad rotator cuff and would like to reduce my draw weight as much as possible.)

After a little research, including the review of old AT threads and a discussion with my instructor, I was ready to begin my arrow buying adventure.

My pro shop was great. They took me to the range, watched me shoot and marked my arrows so that they could accurately measure the draw weight of my bow setup. They measured my bow with two sets of limbs and selected an arrow spine that would work across the range of both. (I expect to ultimately move to limbs with a draw weight somewhere between the two setups that I currently use.) We discussed fletching options and chose one that looked like a good starting point for my shooting style. They are now fletching the arrows. When finished, I will test shoot the arrows under their supervision to determine which breakaway tips perform the best.

The considerable value you get from the support of a good pro shop is hard to put a price on. The risk of having to re-buy when the arrows do not perform as expected is greatly reduced. Anyway, my pro shop increased my confidence that I am making the right arrow choice -- even though there are no certainties when it comes to the wonderful world of arrows.

Please save your laughter at my ignorance until you see my new Easton A/C/E arrows for sale in the F.I.T.A classifieds.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,637 Posts
No ignorance or laughter, just amazement that you found a "pro shop" that even knows what a recurve is. And they went to the range with you? Amazement turns into near dis=belief! (smile)

Dave

· Registered
841 Posts
such a deal

Your right about the price you can put on a good pro shop. Anyone who finds a shop like that is lucky indeed. We had a guy like that in Fl. a number of years ago. His expertise and willing to help, not only taught me alot but saved me a bunch of money and time on experiments. Enjoy those new arrows. Garrie.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
although it appears you have already purchased ace's you should also consider the mckinneyII arrows in the future...they are the lightest(...fastest)world class arrows currently available for fita target archery and are approximately 20% lighter than their equivalent ace....they were developed to enable recurve archers using lower poundages to reach the longer distances more effectively and are currently priced $20 lower per dozen than ace's at LAS....PS..they are also made in the USA...JMHO...

· Civil but Disobedient
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the lead. I just saw some McKinney II's a couple of days ago. One of my fellow shooters, who started when I did, is using them. They are nice looking arrows and as you suggest, probably better for my objective.

This, however, is where second best is sometimes the correct choice. If my proshop does not carry McKinney's then I am on my own to choose the correct arrow -- I would not get the custom fitting that I am getting now. It is a tough call -- when I am more savy with arrow selection, I may go the McKinney II route. By that time I will have more experience with high performance arrows and a better idea of what I need.

Keep your eyes on the F.I.T.A. classified's, my arrows may end up there someday -- hopefully not soon.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
hank...once you are decided on the MK2s i suggest you contack rick mckinney directly(he posts here sometimes) to get his advice on the correct arrow size.....his all carbon arrows react differently from the x10s and aces which are aluminum/carbon....they sometimes require as much as 2 sizes SOFTER spine but at least 1 size less....just provide him with your draw length and limb weight as a start and you could go from there.....hope this helps..

· Civil but Disobedient
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jmvargas:

Thanks for the advise. I will be test shooting my new arrows tomorrow so that they can be fitted with the correct breakaway tips. Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to take them outdoors and see what they can do - I am playing in a golf tournament, however, and may not have time. I think I shoot well enough to invest in good arrows; I golf at the used junk ball level. Better that I do not spend a lot money on balls 'cause I am just going to lose them in the woods or the lake.

Since I was able to make 90 M with my Gold Tips, I expect an easier go with the newer lighter arrows.

· Civil but Disobedient
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I would close this story by letting you know that I test shot the arrows at the pro-shop. The pro-shop set up a couple of bareshafts and a couple with 100 gr tips. They reset the tips to 90 gr after a period of test shooting. This improved the grouping of fletched and bareshafts. Paper tune was good as well. I considered this a safe starting point while I work on selecting my ultimate draw weight.

What I ended up with were A/C/E 430's full length with 90 gr breakaway points. The first attempt outdoors was difficult due to wind and paranoia over losing one (I had not received my metal detector yet). After a couple more outdoor sessions I will see if additional tuning is necessary.

Great to have a good pro-shop. I do not think I could have done this on my own.

· Registered
88 Posts
Thought I would close this story by letting you know that I test shot the arrows at the pro-shop. The pro-shop set up a couple of bareshafts and a couple with 100 gr tips. They reset the tips to 90 gr after a period of test shooting. This improved the grouping of fletched and bareshafts. Paper tune was good as well. I considered this a safe starting point while I work on selecting my ultimate draw weight.

What I ended up with were A/C/E 430's full length with 90 gr breakaway points. The first attempt outdoors was difficult due to wind and paranoia over losing one (I had not received my metal detector yet). After a couple more outdoor sessions I will see if additional tuning is necessary.

Great to have a good pro-shop. I do not think I could have done this on my own.
What pro shop is this? I go to school in LA and if there is a shop that can provide such great service I just may have to visit. Especially since I'm starting to consider new arrows.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
hi hank...i was in hi-tech archery in fullerton in august of 2004..that's where i got one of the first available hoyt gamemasters then( i still have it!)...i was surprised they had recurve stuff whereas all the others i went to in the L.A. area only had compounds...i also remember an indoor range and a short outdoor range....i just got names of archery shops from the yellow pages as i wasn't even an AT member then......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.