Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new at archery and I am wondering what type of bow should I get if I was just starting and how much would it coast me to get it.

P.S. I am in edmonton

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go to your nearest archery pro shop and tell them what you asked here. There is a million variables in archery. Best to talk with someone face to face. The choices are too many to list.. Good luck and welcome to the sport! :smile:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shop

hey, so you are saying to go to the shop and get measured out and see how much i can pull and stuff like that. and yes meat eater are the best

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Pro shop

In my opinion, your best bet is to go to a good archery pro shop and have them help outfit you. What bow and equipment you get is going to depend on alot of things and they'll be able to not only help you choose the right stuff but also set everything up right

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You can measure yourself up and good a pretty good idea of your drawlength, but it is best to go to a pro shop and they'll help set you up correctly. You have to think about what your motivation for getting into archery is? Hunting, recreation, competitive? and then go from there. You also have to think how much you can afford. Accessories cost quite a bit and in some cases as much as the bow. Do you want to just start and see if you like it? What about buying some inexpensive used stuff to determine that? An idea of cost is pretty open ended. A used bow can cost anywhere from $20 to $700+. A new bow is ~$200-$800. A sight if you plan to use one $10 to $200. Release (again if you plan to use one) $15-$150. Arrows $30/dozen to $200/dozen. Rest $20-$85. Stabilizer $5-$100. These are just some general ranges, and it all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bows

I am wanting to hunt and do competive archery some day. but mostly hunting right now. and yes i am willing to spend a lot of money of the stuff because i no i will keep doing archery, I have alway want to do archery so bad

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
You can get set-up pretty well for hunting for about $500-600 with new stuff. You could go cheaper and you certainly can go more expensive.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
The Jag is good, the poundage depends on you.

Martin---Hunter said:
okay so go to the shop, do you like the martin jagaur bow would be good for me? the pounds are 40-70 pounds
Only testing a bow at the shop will determine what you can handle. One thing I have found is that if you can handle a 40 pound bow when you start, you will be able to shoot 60 pounds in a couple of months if you keep practicing. Don't buy a bow that is 30-40 if you can handle 40 today, buy the 40-50 so you have room to go up. :thumbs_up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts