Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been using a eurkea blow up sleeping pad for 10+ years now. It works fine but it's big and takes up alot of space, kinda heavy. I've used it along with a 30° bag for my september mountain hunts. Bag zipper broke this year

So my question. Anyone ever drop down to a zero degree bag and ditch the pad? Or What's a new lite weight pad and sleeping bag? Even with a pad I have to go colder bag cause I'm tired of sleeping with a bunch of close on

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,821 Posts
The reason you need a pad is a bags insulation compresses under you. Its worse with down fill.

If I was buying a pad right now it would be the Neo Air Xtherm [link]
https://www.rei.com/product/881575/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad

or one of the Exped models. I've had the expedition Synmatt for many years- excellent but a tad heavier than the Xtherms. I would stay away from BA pads....and bags for that matter as they are cheaply made with a high failure rate.

Marmot, Montbell, Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Vallandre...and even REI make good sleeping bags. The BA, NF and Kelty stuff is cheaper lesser quality. If you have to go that route due to budget its a good idea to go up a little in temp rating.

Whether you go down or Syn depends on your shelter/ conditions you hunt and/or how compact and light you want it as down compresses more.

FYI, this is a great time to consider this change as in Jan/Feb you get some great sales- like 40% off- on these sleeping bags....though you rarely see WM/FF bags on much of a sale.

·
I like elk!
18,146 Posts
You’ll freeze if you just sleep on the ground.
A quality pad is equally as important as the bag itself.

Check out quilts made by companies like Hammock Gear, Enlighted Equipment or Katabolic Gear.
You lay directly on the pad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
a few years ago I bought an Exped down-filled air-mattress. I've been winter/cold weather camping for more than 30 years and with the Exped I've never had a better nights sleep in a tent.

It's a bit heavier than the old-school self-inflating pads (i have about 9 of them in various sizes/thicknesses), but for cold weather packing my Exped cannot be beat. A good nights sleep is worth the extra labor to bring it along.

I'll also recommend Western Mountaineering sleeping bags - i have 3 and love 'em. I also have a couple Marmots as well (and a few Keltys for summer bashing). My favorite bag, far and away, is my Western Mountaineering Puma with Gore DryLoft - it's an awesome bag for cold nights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts